Would any member of this board knowingly post a link that contained a virus?

Big Cliff

I may have done a bad thing. I have done bad things in the past too. If someone claims that link hosted a trojan, then I will defer because I have no idea if that is true or even possible.

If you have a trojan on your puter, try Adaware - I just did a scan, found some tracking cookies and deleted them. The next scan was clean.

Thanks to the Moderator that deleted that website on that phony link.

Gerritt, that might not be true. No malice is no proof of no harm. Does that make any sense?

Carp still happens, and then we make it right. Remember, friends don't let friends fish for Cyprinidae.

it makes sense... it was a make believe link....... that I guess was real.... crap happens... it seems ONE person "may" have been affected... the original signature of New Angler was way worse then your make believe link... which I doubt was the cause of his problem... as I also hit on your link... with Zero issues.

Keep on trucking douG

G

I have made hundreds of great friends on this board..

Man have we all got you fooled bud... we're just all dang terrified that you'll beat us up if we don't act nice to you! :o:D

And Jonnybass... ask anyone here.. I call'm as I see'm (on the keyboard and in person!) and if you can't handle that save yourself a whole world of hurt and go on with your life elsewhere ! :Gonefishing:

Edited by irishfield

It may have been said in this thread already:

A virus can end up on a site without the site owner knowing. It happens all the time.....the webserver becomes compromised and then it is open season.

Are viruses still kicking around...I thought malware was the thing to knowingly infect someone with?

forrest

PS: no, I would not send anyone from this board to a site that I knew had a virus

Agree 1000% Cliff.

The mod's help make OFC what it is. As in any part of our lives there are those we come in contact with, on this board, whose aim is to disrupt and to cause dissent either through wilfullness or immaturity. They will, (and some have been), weeded out and lost their privileges.

There is no old boy's (or girl's) club. Some have been around longer than others and some through their actions and dedication have earned more repect around here than others, that's all....

That is exactly correct... but by being correct it gives the perception that there is an old boys club.. there no "list".. what there is however is perhaps a bit of leeway thats allowed for member who have been here a long long time.. just the way it is.. and if any one calls me an old boy again.. ill kick your butt!

and I tell ya what.. if anyone ever posted something that knowingly messed with someone else computer.. it wouldn't be allowed and it would be removed quickly as simple as that...

Actually you can be a newbie and join the good old boys club. All's you need to do is preform a few selfless acts and help out people without tooting your horn all over the place. I have in the past asked T.J. for a few favors dealing with another fishing site and he was nice enough to help me. As I have in the past and on to the future I will continue helping as many people as I can. If that is part of the good old boys network then I am proud to be a member.

Art

Entry fee for Old Boys Club = 24 Old Milwaukee

Gerrit cant be in the Old Boys Club,he's still changing diapers :)

Virus,the only one I know who got a virus was when TJ did his Honda

VOD : Venereal Outboard disease

He put a new meaning in lube job :w00t:

VOD!!!... that's nasty Marc, I like the way you think!!! ;)

The "Old Boys Club" isn't all it's cracked up to be:

The beer is hot.

The rum is watered down.

The Go-Go girls are all ex USO show dance card girls from WWII. Watching them try to do the Frug while hanging onto their walkers doesn't do anything for me... yet.

I may have jumped the gun accusing the site of containing a trojan, not sure. What I do know is that shortly after going to that site, a trojan somehow got past my firewall without me clicking on anything on that site. The only other site that I had been on shortly before or shortly after was this one. So I assumed the linked site caused it.

About 2 years ago, I set an unprotected system online to see how long it'd take something nasty to find it. No surfing, no email, no downloading, brand new clean system sitting still.

15 minutes into the test, I checked its drive - and it'd already been infected.

Anything that can move on its own, and really wants to find a new home, can do so by brute force. Every machine online has an IP number. There's a finite # of those. A worm with time on its hands can sit there and try every # in sequence looking for a vulnerable machine. Think of it as a thief walking up and down the rows in a parking lot, looking for open car windows.

douG, I'd say you're in the clear - it's been hours since I tried the joke URL, and nothing's happened to the test machine.

Dangit, Gerritt...I think I've finally started to like you. :blink:;) Thanks for showing there really is a gooey center in there somewhere. :thumbsup_anim:

has anyone heard of the program deep freeze....i use it and its awwwwwwwsome.......im not computer savy but i think it works this way.....this program takes a pic of your perfect drive....and everytime you retart it it clears any viruses and returns back to a normal setting.....ya need to partition the drive with all the executables into one area since most nasty things like the executables...and any data that ya want to save will be in the second partition....can be a little pain when wanting to add a new program...but well worth the effort.....i can surf endlessly and never have to worry bout any viruses.....if i get infected.....shut it down reboot to my original hard drive!!!

dont know where to get it as my brother BORROWED this program from work....but it is awwwwwsome

cheers