fish tank

workwear

was wondering if the fish look like in good health in the tank at bass pro......i dont think they are.....ther natural colours look like they have all but gone.......i remeber when they first opened up....those fish were real green....now they look bleached.....ill check again tomorrow night....ill be there for my boaters lisence

cheers

Alot of their color depends on their habitat and lighting and all that, I have seen perch which are nearly colorless and those that are bright orange/greens and both specimens were healthy just a different environment. Same goes for the smallies I have gotten as well as walleye and come to think of it nearly all fish I have gotten. Not positive but I think that the colour cannot be a real determinant in their health

I've had my share of ..freshwater fish in my tank 55 gallon... Largemouth... Walleye. Pike Trout & Perch are hard to keep alot of the color has to do with the temperature of the water....colder/darker warmer/lighter....color of water has alot to do with it too...and don't forget the habitat.

I've been to BPS several times looking at the tank and must agree with you they kinda look pale..

they might even have a filtration or chlorine problem... who knows??

Try asking while you're there....test the "knowledgeable" staff @ BPS....Inquiring minds wanna know..

Randy..

If you look at the tank notice that certain species maintain their colour more than others. The bass tend to be more pale with the lighting and clear water, but the perch are colourful in there. If you look at the gar, they tend to change from dark to light day by day, even during the course of a given day they change.

In terms of health, 90% of the fish are healthy in the tank.

BPS brings in a biologist once or twice a week (I'll validate). He checks about 30 different chemical levels (not just your ph and chlorine). They also have incubator tanks where all new fish are isolated for about a month to ensure they are not introducing anything into the big tank. If fish are not doing well, they are also removed from the big tank and isolated in the incubators to be brought back to health.

Hope this helps. I can find out more if you'd like.

Sorry if we're not being knowledgable enough for you Randy :asshat::wacko::rolleyes::D

Edited by BPSBASSMAN

How do they keep so many species with different temp preferences (some VERY different) healthy in the same tank? I can't believe they are totally healthy.

Also, some fish naturally get paler as they get larger....don't they?

Still very cool and interesting to look at though.

My friend wanted to test his new rod / reel and spinner bait combo he purchased a few weeks back in that tank. He said if he doesn't catch a fish hes not gonna buy the combo. I spray moose urine on him after that, good times.

It is amazing that they can keep such a variety in one tank and do it successfully for the most part. If you think about the temperature variance that most fish in this province go through though being in that tank shouldn't be too unhealthy for them.

As for the difference in color it really does vary a lot in the wild so why not in the tank. Think about how different a rainbow that has just come in from the cold deep lake looks right now compared to one that spent the winter under the ice in a river.... Bass too are amazing in how different in color they can be based on where they are in even in a small body of water. Deeper fish always seem to be lighter in color. I think it more temp related than depth though. If you catch perch in lake erie the cold ones from the deep are almost completely silver and the ones who feel warmer are darker...

I think stress also causes changes as once you put the perch in the basket after a while they all look the same color which is usually darker than when they were caught.

Sorry for the BPS comment...... :oops:

Last time I was there had a weird experience with an older guy in the fly shop....

Otherwise all my visits were great and made my wife mad.. :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Nothing wrong with BPS..

Randy...

When I get a free moment I'll look up some stuff on fish colour....I think some variation has to do with the amount of light to a certain point. Definalty the makings a good science project lol.

As far as "all those fish in the same tank" is concerned... when it comes to keeping fish alive...the maximum heat tolerance of the fish is the most important factor aside from water chemistry stuff.

-R-

Sorry for the BPS comment......

Randy, next time you're in the store, look me up and I'll buy you a coffee :)

Ramble On, you're right, the temperature is critical and strictly maintained, I just can't remember what it was set at. The filter room behind the aquarium is pretty cool, I think there were 6 HUGE filters in there if I remember correctly.

This whole topic is very interesting and I will get more info. I know I've seen it somewhere and I have had discussions with the biologist in the past.

I got the following reply back from George Wallace, our Canadian Marketing Manager and as many here know, a great friend and supporter of OFC and many of our Fundraising projects.

Our aquarist comes to the store 3+ times a week to ensure the health of the fish and their habitat (the aquarium). The systems in place are extensive and are there to protect the health of the fish outright. Systems in place include: sand/carbon filters, biotic filters (trickle towers), plus the ultraviolet light. Furthermore, unbeknownst to most, there is roughly 0.3% salt solution in the circulating water; this keeps at bay the parasitic count (much like salt on a leech). We also have chiller and try to maintain a temperature of 60° to 65°. There are independent system(s) for each the aquarium and the trout stream. In terms of the colour of the fish and respective influences; unfortunately, I’m not a biologist. Possibly Wil Wegman from the MNR or Dr. Bruce Tufts from Queen’s University could better answer those questions; they are both fisheries biologists. We work very closely with both Wil & Bruce, in addition to their respective organizations; as well as our own Exhibits Dept. in Springfield, MO. Alternatively; while in the store, you could also ask our aquarist, Chris Dahl. The health of the fish, BASSMAN, as you know, is paramount to our day-to-day operations. What I do know is that factors could go on to include: seasonality, diet, surrounding environment (rocks, gravel, etc), lighting vs. sunlight and so forth. Hope this helps.

I will continue to follow up as opportunity permits to get more info. I know many of those fish have been in the tank since the store opened. When you think about it, the whole operation is very impressive. I'm sure those fish would love to be out in their natural environment (much like those in anyone's aquarium), but the thing I think is so neat is that it gives many city folks (especially kids) an opportunity (and maybe their only opportunity) to see Ontario's fish species up close. Heck, I could sit there for hours and just watch them myself! :)

Check out the colour difference from a Detroit River pickerel to one caught on say….BOQ.

Big difference in colour due to their environment…..

And we all know that Roger is very knowledgeable…..that is why I make sure to stop and talk to him every time I’m there.

Great info roger,very interesting question too,im sure it takes alot of time & MONEY !!! to keep a tank like that running,and have all the proper elements in place,plus a biologist 3 times a week,im glad that that tank is there, :whistling::clapping: and its great to see them all swimming around,and my little daughter just loves it when we go there its all she talks about for a day or 2 after....great thread,on fish color,cant wait to hear more info....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Great info Roger!

That aquarium always holds my attention whenever I am in the store as well. I do know that the store takes the care of these fish very seriously too.

I think you really nailed it when you said that this is the only opportunity some folks get to see these fish up close and personal and are allowed the chance to dream!

Thanks again, and hope to see you in there one of these days soon.

I would be interested to know what water parameters they maintain there. I would assume they use city water without altering the hardness values, but would be most interested in what their water change regime is (do they have a continuous flow of treated city water in) and what they maintian their nitrate levels below.

Burt :)

Having been an aquarium hobbyist for most of my life and for a good part of it dealing with marine creatures, I think that the folks at BPS and Chris do a great job looking after those fish. The filtration system, chillers and other equipment used in the operation of the tank are all top notch! It rates right up there with systems that I have seen at many world class aquariums. The water is kept with tolerable ranges for all the fish that inhabit the BPS tank! The fish in there certainly eat like they're healthy.

Roger, great investigative reporting! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dave