Greencoachdog

Good idea. No need to ruin a good Steelhead thread.

I'll start it off by saying that it depends on the situation. If you absolutely need to do it for safety reasons, then it's acceptable. Also, if it is to the benefit of the fish, then it is should be done.

Use common sense.

Edited by jonnybass

I have a couple different nets. One is a Frabil Big Game for that rare chance that I would land a musky or a large pike. It has seen the water once mind you. I have a smaller one for when we go bass fishing and maybe a try for Walleye this year. (I guess I'll also need a pickeral net too - whatever they are). Whether I net the fish or hand land it, depends on the size of the fish. If I can safely, easily, and not hurt the fish lifting it from the water, I'll hand land it. For something a bit larger, I'll use the net. I never land any fish by keeping them hooked and lifting them out of the water into the boat.

I always use a net when one is available and the fish doesn`t fly into the boat on it`s own. My goal is to actually land the fish, not play with it on the line. From a bass tournament perspective, 1 lost keeper 14 to 16 ounce fish, usually 12 inches can mean a big change in the standings at the weigh in.

I have finished 20th to 30th position in some and one more keeper would have got me a check, I use a net.

Some fish can handle the fight better than others, generally rough warm water fish, eg. carp, sheephead, catfish.

You can use an expanding foam insulation (like great stuff) sprayed into the handle of your net to make it float to prevent it`s loss.

with big fish you often have to play them out just to get them in the net!.

Smaller fish species, I could see your point. A quick scoop and there out.

nets have become much improved over the years with new nets that are much safer for the fish.

years ago I would have disagreed, but so much push for catch and release angling has forced

companies to make more fish friendly nets.

either way its about the fish being safely released :)

I have a net in the boat at all times. I usually just grab my fish, but a good one will get netted. I've only used a net on the tribs if its needed to reach the water. Generally if I can get to the water, I'll tail the fish. I don't do the tribs any more though.....too many purists for me........the fish are just fine when landed with a net. Like has been said before, lots of netted fish get lifted over the dams every spring.....I don't see anyone complaining about that!! Every fish at the Ganny is lifted over with a net!!!

Sinker

Being that I fish alone most of the time, in rough water I almost always net my fish. Not worth the risk of going for a swim. I also don't feel like breaking my line lifting, cause all I catch are big fish :jerry:

I have 3 nets that I use. One is a new Frabill bucket net that I cannot wait to get slimed. I really like the rubber nets because the fish don't seem to get snagged in them as much.

I do prefer to handle fish by hand, smaller fish that is. I find that I can lip 'em or hold 'em behind the head, pop the hook out without keeping it out of the water for too long. This being said, however, the bigguns need a net..make sure its a quality one. had a huge pike find a burst of energy right before I netted him and he torpedoed through the damn thing.

reefrunner

I always have a net in the boat with me, but rarely does it get used. I usually grab the fish I catch and hold them in the water. The net gets used on rare occasions like, tournament fishing, large fish, or if I take someone out fishing that doesn't go very often.

The net that I do have was carefully selected among the many styles of nets on the market today. I wanted a tangle free, no knot, mesh for two reasons, 1) To easily and quickly remove hooks from the net and fish, for a fast, efficient release, and 2) The coating on the tangle free mesh also helps to keep the slime on the fish. The Knotless aspect of the net is for the same reason, as well as limiting the amount of damage caused to the external portion of the fish, ie. scale loss, skin damage, etc.

Another important aspect in a good net is a small diameter mesh, which helps to keep the fins of the fish completely intact. A deep pocket is also important to keep the fish in the water.

When landing fish by hand, always remember to get your hands wet prior to touching the fish, to again reduce slime loss. A landing glove is a good idea for river fishing or anytime a fish is being landed by hand.

So in conclusion, if I do happen to use a net on a fish that is to be released, I make sure it is a net that will cause the least amount of harm possible to that fish.

Would it not be better to use a cradle instead of a net. All most all my fishing is along the river banks and nets just get in the way when walking trough the bush... use a glove and no net right now but some times they do wiggle loose and drop... l think the cradle will limit the movement one the fish...

l release almost everything so l want to cause as little damage to the fish as possible and no l will not stop fishing.

Everyone has their preference but what would be the best for the fish.

Ken

Bowshep, The best thing for the fish would be if the MNR made it mandatory to use barbless hooks. It would make releasing fish quick and easy and cause minimal damage. It would also allow a large percentage of 'to be released' fish to remain in the water while the hook is being removed. Of course this applies more to the use of single hooks, as an angler can easily leave the fish in the water, grab the hook with pliers and with a quick flick of the wrist release the fish without even handling it. This cannot happen 100% of the time, I understand, but it would lower the chances of having a fish injured from mishandling.

Cradles are excellent tools for keeping fish relaxed and healthy prior to release, but can be dangerous for the operator of the cradle. Hooks can quickly come loose while the fish is being directed towards the cradle and catch your partner in the face as he/she is leaning out with the it. But as long as the fish is ok, LOL!!! :whistling:

It is possible with a deep basket, large hooped net, to accomplish the same task as with the cradle, making it safer for both angler and fish.

When river fishing it is usually quite easy to bring the fish into a shallow landing area, remove the hooks, quickly lift the fish for a photo if necessary, with minimal damage done and a quick release.

Personally, I havent used a net in years (except the last tiem I fished with Bill). I can say with confidence that I can get a big fish in and land it without it reaching exhaustion - thats what heavy line is for! As long as you have a good grip on the fish, they usually settle right down.

On tip I can offer when holding up a big fish for a photo is to hold is near or over teh water. If the fish starts to thrash, you can let it go into the water rather into the boat or onto some rocks.

Edited by mepps

You can use an expanding foam insulation (like great stuff) sprayed into the handle of your net to make it float to prevent it`s loss.

Now that's a useful tip. Adding a can of Great Stuff to the shopping list. Thank you!

I'd really like to hear more about the new flat-bottom coated nets vs cradles.

Space is a big factor for us. We have a bowrider, and by the time you get 2 adults in there with boat bags, multiple big tackle boxes, and a claw anchor on the floor, yadda yadda, you're hoping nothing else bulky needs to come along. We've got one of those Crappy Tire folding Rapala nets, mainly because it knocks down to a 3x18" or so bundle that can hide in the boat's nooks & crannies instead of being hauled to/from the marina every day. It doesn't get much use.

The more I learn, the less happy I am about putting a fish near uncoated mesh and sock-shaped nets. A full-size net is really bulky when you're used to a folding toy. Cradles collapse down small enough to hide on the boat, which makes them attractive - if they're actually useful. If they're just going to give me a Rapala nose ring when Jeff catches a fish, maybe we'd better learn to live with a bulky net. Input, anyone?

when steelheading on the rivers,..anglers only use nets until they are experienced/skilled enough to not use them or need them,..if the fish is close enough to net,..it is close enough to tail,..,..goes hand in hand with experience and skill, the more inexperienced the angler,..the longer you will have to play that fish, using a net saves no time at all,..also the type of net makes a huge difference,...there is also no need to beach a fish,..it seems to be implied that a fish will thrash around more if its not in a net on the beach,..well the argument was you can bring it in faster so it will have more energy, ..wouldnt that then imply that the fish will thrash more on those rocks and mud that you innevibly have to set it down on to untangle the mesh from all the thrashing,...its not overly difficult to tail a steelhead and remove the hook with your foreceps (although there are always exceptions,..big water like the niagara being one), keeping it in the water,...if you need a net, use a rubber one,...again talking exclusively about steelheading on the rivers here!!!

hey milty if you are just talking about steels in the river about netting being bad .... does that mean that you have no problem with netting lets say a pike ? ... Are steelhead anglers a different type of angler than others? .... You catch a fish reel it in and release it .... no different than a bass fisherman or any other species .... I agree that slime comes off and the fins can get split apart from the net . I personaly hardly ever use a net but if your not comfortable grabbing a fish then by all means use one... I also disagree that its a skill to hand land a fish ..I have seen a couple first time ( unskilled ) anglers hand land a fish without thinking twice. its all personal preferance.

I am a big fan of nets I carry the net that will land the fish that I am fishing for according to the size of the expected fish. I have a med large net that is made of rubber that works well for fish under 20 lbs. I also have a big frabil that I use when I come up north for the bigger fish that I hope to catch that day. I also fish for big catfish from a 28ft boat and it is very difficult to use a net due to the railing and the height from the water. I have been using a boca lip gaff to hoist them from the water. The mouth of the catfish and the jaw structure are very friendly to this device and I have released many large fish without damage. I don't feel that this is a good answer for fish like pike and muskie or fish with teeth since their jaws are weaker and you have a chance of damaging their teeth with it. I have seen more fish damaged from a gill hold for the camera than the abuse of a net so if you do want the picture please don't slip your hand in the gill plate it is a slow killer even when done carefully.

Art