my brother could use your thoughts and prayers

rickster

i got called of the lake on Friday with news my brother had been taken to the hospital

He has had some problems with his heart were it will take to racing and cannot get slowed down

the doctor had to shock his heart four times to get him stabilized

Things were looking better yesterday and they were discharging him when he had another episode

Another four shocks to stabilize

He flew by air ambulance to the univeristy hospital in london ont yesterday afternoon and as of this morning have had no news yet

I just thought it might help if we could keep him in out thoughts today

Thanks in advance

Rick

Edited by rickster

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and well wishes.

I just got off the phone with my brothers wife and it sounds like they want to operate

on Thurs and put in a kind of pacemaker to regulate the heart.

Want to get his strength up before they operate so thurs looks like the day if all goes well

Sounds like he will be there for at least a week

I will update when I know some more

I am hoping my next update will be that the operation went well

Fingers crossed

Thanks again to all for the well wishes and for Johnf for the offer

This is truely a great community

Rick

Edited by rickster

My thoughts and prayers are with your brother. My son had this rapid heart for a few years and had to have surgery which corrected the problem.

This is why this board is so special. It is the fishing that bonds us together but we are concerned about each other.

Keep your faith. Your brother will be OK.

My thoughts and prayers are with your brother and his wife and family, including yourself. Speaking from my own experiences, there are many options availalbe. He is in good hnds at the London hospitals.

Please keep us posted

John

Rick, I have had both a pacemaker, and an internal defibrillator put into my body. One (the pacemaker) keeps my heart from going below a certain number of beats per minute. The other (the defibrillator) is designed to shock my heart back into a normal rhythm if I go into ventricular or atrial fibrillation (abnormally high and erratic heartbeat). The surgery is a breeze. It is usually day surgery. The recovery is around 3 - 4 days. Depending on what he is having done, he may not be able to drive for around a month, or raise his left arm above his shoulder for a month. Other than that, he should be good, and should consider himself lucky to have not had any other problems at this point.

I hope the point of view from someone who has been through it helps.

My thoughts are with your brother Rick,and, scary as it may be, he is in the best of hands. I'm sure he will make a good recovery.

I have friend who had it done years ago,and, it aint slowed him down any.

Best wishes.