pimped out my personal ponton boat

Well I had high hopes that 2008 was going to be the year that I buy myself a new boat, but....

1 Wedding + 1 new to us house = No new boat!

We're buying this house off of my in-laws, the deal closes in a few weeks! We're pretty stolked as it's

our first house...

gallery_133_237_35814.jpg

We put a pond in last fall to add a little scenery to our backyard wedding this summer. Still have to

finish it off.

gallery_133_237_70628.jpg

Anyways, down to the real project..... I decided as a consolation to not buying a boat this season

I was going to make some additions to my personal pontoon.

This is the boat PRE-MODIFICATIONS

med_gallery_133_237_54247.jpg

In short here's the mods....

- Front to back platform - room to stand at the front (made from plywood I had at the house)

- New Seat & Adjustable Pedestal

- 3 rear rod holders made from leftover ABS pipe I had at the house

- 1 Net holder at the back made from ABS

- 1 Front Rod Holder

- 1 cup holder made from 3" ABS, cut to be just the right size for a large double double...

- Made a motor mount on the back by soldering 1" copper pipe onto the existing steel frame, and

bolting a piece of plywood to it.

Don't mind the basement - it's a work in progress...

gallery_133_237_53606.jpg

med_gallery_133_237_100773.jpg

gallery_133_237_113311.jpg

What's left?

- Minn Kota Electric motor

- Battery & bracket to hold it in place

- Inexpensive graph

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Cheers,

UF

That setup looks awesome!

How do you row with the seat so high, does it adjust all the way down?

Other ideas:

lights?

camera stand for self portraits?

live well under the platform? (I think that is the coolest of the 3)

forrest

oh, and if you're sticking a motor on it, don't forget all the other things you gotta bring along.. pea-less wistle, life jacket, bailing device, 50ft bouyant heaving line, paddles(i see you have them anyways), flashlight and pleasure craft operator card!

Edited by kevin

Hey UF,

pretty neat mods but i'd be a tad worried on the normal plywood you used? should've opted for some marine plywood, especially since i assume it will be soaked quite often..

kevin

Yes, leaning back on that chair only to have the base rip out of the wood would suck (happened to me).

Would it be hard to seal the piece of plywood? That Marine plywood isn't cheap!

forrest

oh, and if you're sticking a motor on it, don't forget all the other things you gotta bring along.. pea-less wistle, life jacket, bailing device, 50ft bouyant heaving line, paddles(i see you have them anyways), flashlight and pleasure craft operator card!

Motor or not... he probably needs all that stuff (less the operator card) just like a canoe or paddle boat. Paddle boat don't need the flashlight if you wear your life jacket.. figure that one out!

Great stuff there UF.. the boat.. the yard/house and the understanding of what comes first in life...Family !

PS... maybe that Mercer guy has a boat somewhere, for the bigger water, that he can lend ya!

Edited by irishfield

Yes, leaning back on that chair only to have the base rip out of the wood would suck (happened to me).

Would it be hard to seal the piece of plywood? That Marine plywood isn't cheap!

forrest

Thanks for the worries guys!

I went without marine grade plywood as I already had 3/4" plywood at the house which I had used last

year for the rear platform and it worked out great! I also doused it in tremclad rust paint which helps

keep the water out.

As for the seat ripping out, it ain't going anywhere as the bolts go through the plywood and into the

pre-existing steel runners that are welted to the steel frame...

And yepp, you need your pleasure craft operator card with this boat, and that black pouch on the

right pontoon holds all the necessary gear!

LIVEWELL:

I wanted one, but I rarely keep any fish except for panfish so I might just bring a small cooler along if

I plan to keep any.

Lights - great idea, I'm hoping to add some as soon as they fit in my budget!

Camera Stand - I'm thinking of adding something to my net holder!

Thanks for the ideas and all guys! Muchly Appreciated! Keep 'em comin'

Cheers,

UF

Great fishing pontoon boat man !!!! :whistling::w00t: looks great,thats some great ideas you had there,how about a portable graph?? !!!!!that would be the icing on the cake for sure,so then you could be on all those lakes & rivers and know the depth,the weed beds as well as structure,then you would have it all....good work & job well done !!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

not sure if this was mentioned yet...

Attach a fish finder / GPS unit ?

A cradle holder for the baby? lol

The baby's already16 months old, walking and talking so no crib needed there! we

did it all backwards...baby then house, then marriage! lol

Nice work, I never would have thought of all that. Have you tested it out in the pond yet? Maybe there is a new carer in store for you, or at least a tv show. ;-)

:whistling: Soooo... What's in the pond??? :Gonefishing:

I'd love to test it out in the pond but it's still frozen over - cept for the small hole I keep in

it to add oxygen for the bluegills...

You ever fish Harcourt park? You look familiar.....as well as the boat. Pretty slick rig fer sure!

Sinker

nope, can't say I've fished Harcourt Park...don't even know where that is! I mostly fished

a small conservation area near my place last summer, but I'm going to venture out into

long point bay this season.... port rowan is just down the road...

A couple people mentioned graph's....

I'd rather not get a portable as they're a little more pricey than the non-portables, and besides

i'm going to have the 12v battery already for the electric motor. The only reason I MIGHT get

a portable is so I can use it on the ice in the winter....still trying to figure that one out!

thanks again all!

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

A helmet, adrenaline, and some heavy white water to get that awesome boat surfing down some rapids! I love it! Great job on everything and a fine idea. Congrats to all your accomplishments. You should give 'er a name and stamp the pontoon!