Fishing products in general

kickingfrog

My fishing line post got me thinking about fishing products in general.

The tackle company's have "us" down. They know we're on the look-out for something better to out-fish our buddies, or the guy next to us on the river.

What have you seen in the last couple of years that you thought was hit or miss?

I'm kind of old school when it comes to lures, there are always new ideas coming out but I like using the tried-and-true like Rapalas, red & white spoons, white spinnerbaits, jigs & twister tails, etc. These lures have proven themselves over the years and I trust them.

Mike

Hmmmm good question. most of the lures i buy are versions of old stand-bys that already work well. One of the biggest improvements ive seen in the last few years is in the buzz bait dept. Some of them have a piece of wire from the hook to the weighted body.....i have fewer fish throw these the ther regular ones. Twin prop baits have been a around the block, but they still run straighter then the new single props.

That's the 1st one that comes to mind. If any of you work for a lure company TELL them to market more buzz baits with flexable hooks....i have a hell of a time finding them.

-R-

The simple but effective Mustad Slow Death hook for walleye fishing is going to be huge in 2008.

It has been kept quiet for years and now with a hook on the market many anglers will see how a bent hook can take walleye with a simple chunk of crawler pulled behind a bouncer.

-s

The Banjo Minnow.

It actually did work if used properly. Something about the soft plastic. I remember the first time I used it, I figured, wow what a waste of money. 2nd cast I had a bucket. We caught about 15 fish the first night using those things. The downside to them, they pulled off the screw too easy and didnt last long.

Do you guys Remember " THE LURE" ? looked like a curled up plastic rapala..that had spent a few hours in the oven.

The Mepps Double Cross with adjustable blade pitch?

How 'boot Bill Norman Rainbow divers... with hologram sides that wouldn't run straight.?

The Flying Lure.... Helicopter Lure.... Banjo minnow[ kinda worked ] for me I loved watching the pike take off with my minnow..or uh my $$$. :w00t:

Money down the drain..... I should've taken 'em right from the box and thrown them in the lake.

Like a previous post stated " fishing lures are made to attract fisherman not fish".

I stick with old faithfuls and still do pretty good.

Randy.

:Gonefishing:

THE ONE & ONLY...POCKET FISHERMAN !!!!!! i seen one for sale on e-bay a few months ago,never opened,brand new still in the box,and had a k-mart price tag still on it for $10.00 !!!!! the seller said it was his grandpas,and was bought for his retirement in 1975 or so......the bidding was at $50.00 bucks,i never did see what it finally went for,i think it had 3 days left so i bet somebody wanted it for his collection,behind his bar or something.LOL..LOL.. man the things they have come out with to catch fishermen !!!! man they did a good job didnt they :blink::worthy::dunno:

Double header- What is it about gulp that you don't like? Is it just the hype as you say?

I use gulp and power baits, as well as a half dozen other scented baits and I'm curious about the new Alive products. I'm not about to taste the various bait brands so the scent differences are moot, I get what size, shape and colour I like or what suits the application.

Can't go wrong dead sticking the Yum Dingers for bucketmouth. Even though I've had a lot of success with these I think I might move more towards the Gulp and other biodegradable soft plastics out there. I figure, might as well leave the lakes as pristine as possible.

I also just picked up some slug-go soft plastics at BPS. Supposed to be the first soft plastic that you can work like a hardbody bait. Has anyone tried these at all?

When I was a kid I remember some guy with waders, vest and all breaking his rod and then whipping out a pocket fisherman. I was only 9 or so but knew about fishing. I said "how come you have that and not a fishing rod?" I think I unintentionally insulted him lol. He told me that a back up was too bulky!

What happened to those lures that exposed the hook on a spring mechanism after the fish hit.....I never thought it would work so hot.....anyone buy one of those?

forrest

Edited by forrest