Nipissing/Upper French - Cell Phones

wjw

A few weeks back a fellow was reported missing after heading out on Nipissing to ice fish. Luckily, the man was located safely near Blueberry Island the next day. Has there been any discussions to upgrade the cell phone signal strength for the Nipissing/Upper French fishing area?

I take a cell phone with me out on the water but can only obtain a weak signal off the backside of Sandy Island near Canoe Pass. From a safety point of view it would make sense to increase the signal. From a dollar and cents viewpoint, maybe not. I realize that the larger boats have radios but the smaller boats do not. What's your thoughts?

Guest lundboy

Cell towers cost about $1Million each.

Noelville and Alban together have about 10,000 residents in the summer season, that drops to about 1,800 in the winter (snow birds).

If the three cell companies are expanding service in that area they must be hoping to sell wireless internet service to supplement their revenues on cell, because the majority of people in that area are retired.

Berrnie,

I agree wth the saftey.

Every year my wife and I go away for a week of no lap tops, no cell pones and no Blue Berry's....

The past 4 years we have really enjoyed the Chapleau area, great fishing, not a lot of people (we go the first week of September) and friendly people.

Last year we were informed that the CN Rail was putting towers up....

Guess where we are not going this year, unless we can figure out a way to slip up next weekend for a last little ice ice fishing.

But that is it for our summer vacations.

I use my cel phone everywhere I go on nip and never have a problem.. Campbell's & Frank's bay

Five Mile Bay.... all the back channels of the French...I don't know if having a local cel # has anything to do with it...Occasionally I get a weak signal around Gibraltar & Canoe Pass.

I carry my cell always it could save someones life. I was fishing one day and a guy was fishing in the rapids fell and was knockedout. With the cell phone we had him airlifted out in 30 minutes. Without the phone it was atleast 30 minutes back to a phone then another 30 minutes for the air lift. Because he got to the hospital before swelling did any damage he lives with no after effects according to the doctors. If you want the peace and quiet of not having a cell phone then turn it off but it is a good idea to bring it just in case. The life it saves could be yours or a complete strangers both will make you feel good if you can place the call.

Art

Just a tip. TEXT messaging works on different frequencies and is usually picked up in most areas. This is true. Try it out. Go out to the Middle of a huge body of water ie. Georgian Bay and Text someone, you will get a response. Also, check your phone for Analog, you can usually pick up a signal in the most remote ares. Even areas that are not covered.

Hope this helps someone out

I carry my cell always it could save someones life. I was fishing one day and a guy was fishing in the rapids fell and was knockedout. With the cell phone we had him airlifted out in 30 minutes. Without the phone it was atleast 30 minutes back to a phone then another 30 minutes for the air lift. Because he got to the hospital before swelling did any damage he lives with no after effects according to the doctors. If you want the peace and quiet of not having a cell phone then turn it off but it is a good idea to bring it just in case. The life it saves could be yours or a complete strangers both will make you feel good if you can place the call.

Art

That's a good point. I don't have a cell phone, and don't even really want one, but lately I've been thinking that it might be a good thing to have. It would be one of those things I carry but hope I never have to use it.

Just a tip. TEXT messaging works on different frequencies and is usually picked up in most areas. This is true. Try it out. Also, check your phone for Analog, you can usually pick up a signal in the most remote ares. Even areas that are not covered.

Hope this helps someone out

What Mike said, "TEXT"

I bring a cell phone when heading out fishing just for safety purposes. As others have mentioned, text messaging works on lower frequencies and have much greater range. I'm glad the Nippissing area is getting more towers and better coverage: I find it a welcomed upgrade to the near northern telecom infrastructure that will benefit the general area greatly.

Lot's of people don't have cell phones because of the costs and hassles with a plan. At my folk's cottage they have no phone so I got my Mom a pay-as-you-go cell phone and taught her how to text message, now she' hooked and I get random updates of the weather and events goin on up there. Only thing that sux with pay as you go is that the cards have an expiry date on them, so if you don't use up your credit it'll expire on ya.

reefrunner

I prefer to turn off my cellphone when I'm on the water but I think it's worth having one in case there's an emergency or serious problem.

I've been on the west side of Nipissing twice, I think cell reception was pretty spotty. Didn't think of using text messaging, though, great suggestion in case it comes up.

Mike

Cell phones vary their output power depending on the signal strength in the area.

If you are in an area with marginal cell coverage, it is best to turn the cell off untill you need it, if you don't have a charger available.

It tends to drain the battery quickly keeping in touch with the tower.

Dan

Thank you Big Cliff for the tower info and to everyone else that replied.

4reel - I couldn't agree more with no electronics, just the cell for an emergency.

Musky Mike - Great option with the text messaging.