My New truck almost swam with the whitefish ... ALMOST

cityfisher

Wow...at least your truck has been saved! Our ABS light comes on when we get heavy rains or prolonged fog. Once it dries out, it should all function again normally. Are you sure the stereo amp is fried...maybe you got lucky and you blew a fuse. The fuse may not be in the fuse panel...check the wiring on the amp, lots of times there will be an inline fuse.

We were out with RR and Chuck & Shelley today and heard of your plight.

I'm glad everything turned out okay for you. We hit a few slushy spots while on our sled today and it was not evident until we were on top of them. You lucked out this time bud.

Joey

Sheesh, not a good thing to happen to anyone, must have been a dramatic experience for you the moment it happened. Glad it all worked out. I do not drive out on ice very much any more, maybe once every 3 yrs., snowmobiles are much easier to get out of those situations or completely avoid them happening, but I know the ice conditions on certain lakes ahead of time from previous visits to offset the chance of that situation happening to me.

Last time on the ice for me in my truck was 2 yrs. ago, when it was almost 3 ft. thick, in mid-march, with no snow load left on the ice.

Well, I'm really glad to hear you got it out, too bad someone took advantage of your situation to charge you a lot of money. Some people are just like that. Most important thing is that no one was hurt and there wasn't more damage.

I do occasionally take my SUV out on the ice but I have to admit I'm always nervous, you just never know when a crack will open up or you will find someones ice hut hole that has been covered over by snow.

WHEW W W W W . . . . . !! I'd been toyin' around with the idea of takin' the van out in the last couple weeks . . . . but I've been checkin' another board concerning day to day conditions . . . . which have been changin' . . . . day to day. Seems to be more 'hidden' cracks which change on a daily basis this year . . . . I finally decided to forgo perch, laker or whitie dinner . . . . figured if I really got hard-up for a meal of the aforementioned fish . . . . . Costco has some pretty good deals . . . . on 2 week old 'fresh fish!' At least you were able to get it out relatively unscathed . . . . compared to what could have been! Thanks for posting the warning . . . ESPECIALLY with photos . . . . . as I looked at them, I was just envisioning MY Caravan in there . . . same colour . . . same wheels . . . . . your report has likely saved a few people (including me) a lot of grief . . . . . thanks for taking the time!

Glad everyone is OK, but I agree, I would never bring my truck out on the ice no matter how thick the ice was.

In my opinion, if you take a truck on the ice, and it falls through, its no-ones fault but your own. Its hard to sympathize over that.

First like everyone else I am glad you survived but man I must say you are now added to the stupid human trick wall of shame, don`t worry there`s plenty of ice fishermen there with you.

Seems to me this happens early and late every icefishing season you`d think the icefishing guys could figure out this pattern.

Expensive new vehicle + no insurance coverage on ice + unpredictable late season ice + possibility of heavy cost of retrival + heavy fines, seems to be an easy choice.

Betcha you won`t do that again.

Yes there seems to be a lot of individuals who are willing to roll the dice when it comes to their physical and financial well being seems kind of silly to me to risk all that for a fish dinner.

Physical well being aside can you imagine the cost of recovering a vehicle from the bottom of the lake, hiring a helicopter with the capability to lift the load, hiring professional divers to hook it up and then having to deal with the ministry of enviroment and a angry spouse.

I would imagine it would be quite a bill.

I am surprised that the goverment has not banned the use of personal vehicles on the ice.

"I am surprised that the government has not banned the use of personal vehicles on the ice."

Statements like that are why we are losing all our rights.

Can't believe the negative feedback here from fisherman. We're always out on the lakes around here in winter be it fishing or just for fun, many snowmobile trails are across the lakes. He hit a bad spot and sure it could of been worse, but no different than hitting an icy spot on the highway and losing it. Commonsense and a little bit of caution goes a long way. As for the stupid ones who go out when the ice isn't thick or unsafe, well those people will be doing something stupid on the roads if they weren't on the lake.You can't govern stupidness.

Good to here you were OK, Cityfisher, I for one have been driving on the lakes for 20 years, and haven't had any problems, but do know the limitations of when to and not to. Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you forever.