Saturday Morning Steelhead! New PB....

ccmtcanada

We told douG back in the fall that we'd take him out sometime Steelheading. We are by no means experts in the field, but we have a handle on the basics.

He arrived at our place at 645 this morning and after showing him how to rig, we piled in the car and headed to the trib. I was surprised to see only 1 other car in the parking lot! I figured that because the conditions were pretty good last night that I'd see lots of people out there. Water was a little stained...about 6 to 8 inches visibility.

Anyhow, we began drifting close to 8am and for some reason, I was the only one who caught any fish....maybe it's also because douG's waders didn't fit so he couldn't fish on the good side of this particular spot...LOL.

Roe wasn't doing a whole lot for me, so I switched up to a white/gold fly and sure enough there were fish in the area! The first one to come in was a little female...

fish1.jpg

Bly and douG were headed to another hole, and as they were walking past on the opposite bank, my float went down again and I got a nice dropback. douG had a great vantage point from the opposite bank....higher up....and he took this pic of me fighting it.... Notice my nice colour co-ordinated look? LOL

fishing.jpg

Here's the fish....nice colours.....

female.jpg

I had no intention of leaving this hole quite yet...a few more drifts and this large male... now my PB at 29" came in. This one put up quite the fight...but my 6lb test handled the job quite nicely.

male.jpg

We then took a little break for lunch...and tried another spot without any luck. I was really hoping that we could get douG into his first steelie ever....he had a nice hit, but the fish had other ideas. We also finally met fellow OFNer, Kemper...it was great chatting with you...hope you had a good day out there.

Anyhow, we had a GREAT morning with you douG...we'll do it again sometime....and hopefully get you into some fish....oh yeah...go get some new waders...LOL.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Just taking a break from refinishing my hardwood floors......you guys are killing me here LOL!

Sounds like a great morning guys, congrat's! :)

It's about time the tables turned....

I only have to do it another ummm.....246 times and then we're even.... :lol:

Ah h h h h . . . . D A M N !! When I headed out this mornin', I flipped a mental coin . . . near east trib . . middle trib, or far east trib . . . . MIDDLE won . . . . I LOST!! Between 06:30 & noon, out of a couple dozen guys . . . 2 hits . . . 2 fish!! AND YOU CONTINUE TO HAUL 'EM IN!! One of the ones you got woulda made a GREAT supper! Many people down there? I MIGHT take a quick run out there for a few hours, weather permitting later in the week!

Cliff, Carole, youse guys rock. The hospitality was perfect, ( fresh coffee, and let me show you how I rig for steelhead, do you have roe?), conversation was stimulating, and we even caught some fine chrome. Well, Cliff did anyway.

Cliff and Carole have a reputation on this board for being the consummate hosts (that is extra, extra good), and it is well deserved. Lovely folks, with great kids too. Any parent knows that happy, confident children are a pleasure and a blessing, and they have this in spades. A pleasure to meet Sam and Kidney. Skidley. Kibbley. Stinky. Something like that.

Sydney, is your finger still a little bit wobbly, like it might just pop off the knuckle? Wear gloves, is my suggestion.

Looking forward to the next time, many thanks for a great morning.

Best,

douG

Edited by Muskiestudd

Wow...thanks douG! It was our pleasure to have you join us today...and the invite is a standing invitation...just let us know when you have a little time and would like to get together! I'd love to get you on your first steelhead soon!

Sydney had a great time....and was asking me how to do that finger trick long after you left....LOL.

And Spiel...you have it right too....douG is a great guy....we got to know him a little at Lakair last summer and we were room mates at the Quinte G2G. And thanks for over riding the profanity filters....haha.

Until next time douG!

Roe wasn't doing a whole lot for me, so I switched up to a white/gold fly and sure enough there were fish in the area! The first one to come in was a little female...

fish1.jpg

OMG!!! It's a radioactive Brainwave fish!!! :w00t: ... I hope this was your Sushi tonight, because if you ever let them breed...

Edited by Greencoachdog