Need help....

Gerritt

I figured this is the best place to ask this...

I am looking for a navy anchor... a specific one...

we all know the orange painted anchor... great for general overall use, for varied bottom conditions etc... (available @ Canadian Tire etc....)

I can find them just about everywhere... But they all have a ball and socket connection... which is garbage, as I know many a fisherman that has pulled the arm right out off the anchor..

But I still want this type of anchor! as they are great for mud and rock

I know they make this style of anchor with a pin, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere! I know they make it because my Father-in-law owns one...

There are no markings on his anchor except "Made in Canada"

Can anyone help me locate this anchor with a Pin connection vs. a Ball and socket?

Thanks guys,

G

Edited by Gerritt

Gerritt, I prefer the Danforth style of anchor. I have found its not the weight of the anchor but the way it holds to the bottom. Haven't lost one yet but have almost given up a couple times. Weight anchors are ok in less windy conditions but geez......you gotta pull it up.

Get lots of rope and you can use it to cover a large area without pulling up anchor- if you throw well up wind of the spot you are trying to cover.

I figured this is the best place to ask this...

I am looking for a navy anchor... a specific one...

... But they all have a ball and socket connection... which is garbage, as I know many a fisherman that has pulled the arm right out off the anchor..

G

Just out of curiosity, where all those fishermen hairy with protruding eyebrows and knuckles dragging on the ground? You're hanging around with the wrong species.

I agree with Bernie, Danforth's are the way to go...lighter and hold the bottom better. In big surf, pulling up those heavy anchors is asking for rope burn. ouch.

I'm going to the sportsman show this Sunday. I'll keep an eye out for any retailers, if any, that have what you're looking for.

reefrunner

The danforth's, with 5 ft of heacy chain, are great for holding, that's for sure. They take up more room in the boat though........that's the only downfall. If I'm heading out to fish deep water, and there is any wind, I take the danforth. Under normal conditions, in water less than 40ft, I like the navy anchor. It fits in the storage compartment much nicer.

Sinker

Gerritt, I have a Danforth Anchor that I am not using right now (I will be using it later in the summer) but if you wanted to borrow it and try it for a couple of months you would be welcome to use it. I only use the navy anchor in the spring and early summer as most of my fishing is drift fishing so I only need it for safety reasons. Later in the summer I like to anchor just off the weed beds and cast so I switch over to the Danforth.

I would also recommend a danforth anchor but that Richter also looks ideal!!

If you decide on a Danforth, consider the type with the welded ring that slides up the arm. If you're dug in hard, drive over the anchor (ring slides up) and the achors releases easily. It almost makes it weightless to pull as all the crap falls off the flukes.

I might just me one of those Richters!

-Brian