My First Two Lures Finished

FishHeadRic

Hey gang,

It's been a long boring winter down here to say the least. Can't do work on the boat so l've been trying my hand at lure building. here's some pics of the first two I finished.

The first one is coated in quail feathers. After sealing and hard wiring the plug I base coated it yellow and then used coats of clear nail polish to affix the feathers onto the lure. After I got the effect I was looking for I painted the mouth and belly and then coated it in E-tex.

CIMG2759.JPG

Really happy with the way this one came out.

CIMG2768.JPG

It's weighted to just over 2.Oz and sits on a nice 45 degree angle with it ass just under the surface.

CIMG2765.JPG

This second one l did is a slow sinking Needle Fish. Used like a sub-surface jerk bait. (Mostly for rough surf and fast currents) This one was actually made for my best friend's wife. She just got into fishing last summer so l had to make it all pretty and stuff :rolleyes:

CIMG2800.JPG

Yes that is a diamond behind it's eye... I used to do setting and casting work a decade or so ago. They're just foil backed crystals but l thought it would be a nice touch for my buddies little Princess. :whistling:

CIMG2769.JPG

I've got a bunch more turned and waiting for paint. Airbrush is up and running so l'll post some more when l get 'em done.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Hey Danbo, lt's hard to see in the pics but the belly of th pink one is pearlized. l've got an air-brush and have been using cretex paints with it. The pearl just dosn't show up though. :dunno:

Thanks Rob, much appreciated!

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Hey gang,

It's been a long boring winter down here to say the least.

Why is it a boring winter. Lotsa ice fishing to be had!!! If youre bored, and want to go fishing, PM me and we can hook up.. I shoot up to Simcoe 2-3 times a week. I'm always looking for someone to fish with. I live at Yonge/Finch.

Thanks Ken, Mike, Roy, Cliff. Matt, I'd like nothing better then to hit the hard ice right about now but unless you can pick me up (in NYC) it might be a little hard. Guess I should change my location on my info card eh?

:P Where were you when l was living up at Young and Eg. :)

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Thanks Guys for all the nice compliments! Very much appreciated.

Terry the first one is 8" and just over 2 Oz. Grant I actually gave the feathered one to my best friend down here. He also said that it was too nice to use but I made him promise to catch at least one fish with it before he pops it onto his mantle. I turned out a half dozen of that size & pattern. That one was the only one that got the feather treatment. The others are on the drying rack right now. I did different patterns on all of them, Yellow w/ red head, all yellow (school-bus), perch, pearl with coloured spots (wonder bread) and an eel pattern. I like to paint 'em but it's really not that important in my opinion. The action of the lure is what really matters.

Mike I made all of these for the stripers down here. Pencil poppers are weighted in the back end so that you can cast them out as far as possible and keep them out there. The way they're worked is after they land the fisherman tucks the surf rod between his legs and grabs the rod just under the first guide. Shaking the rod while taking in any slack that is caused by the shaking. When weighted right, the lure will pivot on its rear end with it's nose swinging side to side. (You muskie guys think you've seen some explosive hits...)

I've often thought that these would make great muskie lures. I'm going to be coming back up toward the fall so I guess I'll see then...

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic