Curling NF

Bernie

Couple weeks ago at our regular curling night I was asked if I would be interested in a curling spiel. Thinking it may be a good time said "sure". We played first game Friday 10PM and won. Whew what a workout sweeping. Hey, don't laugh its not as easy as it looks. Our next game was 1pm Saturday and we pulled through with a tough win. Whew!!! Ok now I'm a little sore. That win put us into the "A" division and another game Saturday evening. Amazingly we did win again. All of us were on our game and it was showing. By now I'm really tired out and afraid what I'm going to feel like in the morning. Ok in the AM only just a little sore. Stretched it out and thought about our championship game today. Well the guys we were going up against are very good curlers and each of them play several days a week and attend several spiels each year. The guys tell me to stay cool and keep playing the same way and we will have a good chance at winning. We stole 3 on the first end and didn't look back. Wow what a feeling to win!

What a fun game and a great way to get some exercise. Its a very social sport as well. Both teams sit at the same table after the game and the winners buy the round of drinks. But buying a round was OK here cause our team all went home with a few extra bucks in our pockets.

Craig you are right about the Gentleman's game. In our league games I like to vice. It lets you play all aspects of the game. Don't really mind the sweeping but in a tourney you tend to put a lot more into it.

Wayne the game can be hard on the knee's as well but lots of curlers use the pusher stick to allow them to continue playing. It's perfectly legal to use even in tournaments. Great way to enjoy the winter season and it gets you out of the house for some fun and exercise.

Congrats Bernie!

We keep thinking about it... my knee can't take bowling anymore..maybe this is the next weekly outing for us to consider.

The long tuck slide deliveries you see on the tv spiels aren't the only way to deliver a rock, and grippers make it much easier to navigate on the ice. Watch a league night at the local club and you'll see lots of less bendy delivery techniques used, including the stick someone mentioned. I've been out of curling for a couple of years because of other commitments but I sure miss it. People who don't understand the game laugh about it being a wimpy game but if you're lucky enough to get hooked up with a competent instructor, and then get into a league with the right guys or gals, you realize there's a nice blend of strategy, skill and stamina involved that the average person can handle with some effort.

JF

Congratualations Bernie and thanks for sharing the story.

About 15 years ago we had a large satelite dish at our Ohio home and picked up many Canadian programs. I really enjoyed watching Curling. My daughters at first thought that I was "putting them on" but eventually realized that I found the sport interesting. They both played basketball and could not understand how someone could spend hours watching a slow paced game like curling. This past winter olympics changed all of that. They both took a rooting interest and even taped the matches that could not be watched live. I wish the states would carry it more often.

Thank you for all the responses! I started about 5 years ago playing on "mens night" Thursday evenings. Like many others didn't respect the game until playing it. I'm still learning something new every time out on the ice. Strategy plays a big part in the game, especially when the contenders are of equal throwing skills. All players need to work together on every rock thrown. 2 watching the line and the sweepers eying the speed. When a rock is swept it reduces the friction under the rock and extends the amount of distance it will cover and makes it go straighter. Turning the rock clockwise will make it turn to the right and counter clockwise to left. This will allow a rock to go around a rock in front another to make a hit. If anyone gets a chance to play you should. Really is a great game.

I stopped Curling at the end of the 2000 season when I started driving a truck. That year @ the London curling club my mens team won our Monday and Wednesday night competitive leagues and my mixed team won our league on Friday nights. What a way to retire... on top. Haven't so much as thrown a rock since, but have been thinking of signing up my 6 yr old son for a junior program.

Bernie, I know the feeling and sense of accomplishment you get from winning a spiel. It's something that you always remember.

jjcanoe