Out with the old and in with the new - NF

ccmtcanada

It's been a whirlwind of a week for us. Last Thursday, my trusty car....a 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 broke down on me for the last time. This car had over 380,000 kms on it....it drove me back and forth to University in the early 90's, to Michigan and back every weekend while bly and I were dating...it went on countless road trips and camping trips. I've had a lot of great memories in it. Was is a practical family car? Not on your life...our family of 4 couldn't sit in it comfortably, but it travelled afar with me.

Last Thursday, something happened that was a sure sign that it was time to let the car go. A friend of mine, who I drive into Toronto most mornings usually doesn't work on Thursday's, but for some reason decided to head in. I went to the GO Station for the pick up and I hit the brakes and they went straight to the floor!! If my friend wasn't working that day, then that would have happened to me on the 401 instead of in a parking lot!! Anyhow, long story short, I needed to replace the brakes lines, and the fuel line. Add to that a new timing belt (it was overdue), and a new suspension and I just couldn't justify the repair bill to this 18 year old car.

So, bly and I headed off on Friday to visit some dealerships. I'm just looking for a smallish commuter car...something good on gas with a good warranty. I test drove the new Corollas and Civics but my uncle (who used to work for both Toyota and Honda), suggested to test drive the Kia Spectra, because the quality has improved a lot and he'd recommend it to anyone in the market. Well, the Spectra drove just as nicely as the Corolla and Civic, but was considerably cheaper...and with 0% financing it was really a no brainer. It also has a 5 year, 100,000km bumper to bumper warranty...Toyota and Honda only offered a 3 year, 60,000 km bumper to bumper warranty. I bought it on Friday night and drove it home this afternoon.

Here are a few pics...the last pic of me with the Corolla taken just before I traded it in...fittingly taken in front of a Canadian Tire store. (where lately it spent a lot of time being fixed...LOL). I dont have a pic of the new car yet, but found the same colour and model on the net.

I'll miss the old girl, but safety and reliability are more important right now.

corolla.jpg

spectra.jpg

Edited by ccmtcanada

A few of the people that live around me have purchased Kia's in the last year or so, all seem to be very satisfied. My buddy has their version of the mini van and he and his wife just love it.

Edited by Garyv

Wayne.....yep....she deserves the break for the punishment I put her thru for the past 18 years. (and no I dont mean bly)

Gary....I've talked to a few kia owners as well, and they are all very pleasantly surprised by their quality now. I'm hoping I have the same luck!

MTP....The CRV still runs like new...so I'm hoping for 5 more years!!!

Crazyhook....yep....the Corolla owes me NOTHING...and the deal I got on the Kia was too good to pass up.

If you want straight fishing... go check out angling f an a tics. Might take a week between each post...but it will be fishing! Either that or when the next beer bash is.

It's winter...ice season isn't in full swing and these NF posts fill the "off season" EVERY year to keep us entertained.

If people can't find joy in another members happiness...then try valium.

LOL Wanye....I do shore fish a lot too, and this car can hold my fishing rods/reels and tackle...maybe I should have mentioned that. :dunno::whistling:

Won't shore fishin' be a thing of the past when the weather warms up? I mean since y'all have the boat and everything now... or can Carole still not catch anything from a boat??? :w00t:

Congrats on the new car y'all!!! I'm sure it will serve you well. :thumbsup_anim:

Nice going Cliff. I was thinking Kia, but heard some bad stuff bout them in the past. Glad to hear they have improved the quality of their products. While my car was being fixed last year, my curteous car was Kia Optima. I must say, that thing was almost too smooth. I didn't realize how fast I was going kinda fast. Perhaps I will look at Kia when its time. Again, congrats, its tough to let go of ol' faithful, well kinda, but best of luck with the new vehicle.

BTW, did you get a hitch for it yet?

useless information! sorry but how is this fishing related?

Useful information: To catch a fish - tie hook to line, wrap a worm of the hook, place in water abd wait.

I hope you will find this useful

Congrads on the car, you should be able to get it going fast enough to troll for Peterbuilts on the 401. :stretcher::whistling: