Evinrude E-Tec -- Question & Opinions

musky_man

It has to be a pretty good design as BRP is introducing the same type of system in their SKI DOO snowmobiles.

Quite possibly Kerry and something I've never disputed, other than the numerous BRP power heads that Temagami Marine had blow up on them last summer..and now that Skeeter pointed out an oil issue I'll look into that and if it was being used. My only comment in this thread has been noise level compared to other options and anyone that says that an E-tec is quieter than a Verado idling away at the dock or trolling muskie is :whistling: dixie.

The other side of the coin is BRP have so much money sunk into R & D and marketing of the E-Tec they can't turn back now ! :jerry:

My only comment in this thread has been noise level compared to other options and anyone that says that an E-tec is quieter than a Verado idling away at the dock or trolling muskie is :whistling: dixie.

I can vouch for the idling noise level. At Quinte, someone's 275 Verado was parked on the opposite side of the dock to someone's 50,75,90? Honda. Same distance away from me on shore. All I could hear was the Honda.

Noise level doesn't mean much in the big picture but I have to say the Verado is the quietest motor of the bunch and it probably has as much to do with sound insulation as anything else. Opti's and E-Tec's boast about light-weight cowling - probably one of the reasons they are louder.

If I were buying a new motor today E-Tec would probably be my last choice. When it's been around for few more years I might reconsider my stance.

-Brian

Brian,

The newness of the technology does, to some degree, concern me. For that reason, I might wait a year or two before I do anything.

The other side of the coin -- 2-strokes do have two main advantages over 4-stroke engines: weight, fewer moving parts. In some ways that makes them less prone to mechanical failuer. The E-tec seems to rely a lot on computer technology and that, in my mind, might be where the real weakness lies. If that fails, how much $$ are you out?

Anyway -- all comments are welcome and thaks for yours.

Mark

Edited by musky_man

I only have 1 question

After 1500 hours of intensive usage,what breaks down on the both engines?

I have some idea on the optimax and verado (no complaints)

I also ran OMC,and own one as old as the when the first one came out ; a 22 1/2 HP with cylinders opposite of one another.

My collection,1 x 10 hp early 50 something,2 x 18 hp 1958,1 x 35 hp 1958, 22 hp no idea(old),

5 hp no idea (old)

a true test is done in intensive working conditions

Gas mileage should be calculated over the same process,simply any engine will vary and change according to the precision of the parts and the efficient and cohesive operation of all parts and will gradually change over time due to wear until.Untill the wear settlement occurs,there is no way of standardizing any comparaison

Intensive working conditions will lead to more accuarate performances,thats occurs over time

In manifacturing,quality is always dependant on human accuracy,many times failure exist in this area and this area only ,no matter who is the manifacture

Edited by marc thorpe

Guest skeeter99

call me old fashioned

but I kinda like the old 2 stroke rumble and spit at idle

and the scream running full out trimmed all the way out they can hear you comin for miles

that is just me, think about it running a 1965 shelby cobra with exhaust silencers on her, no f ing way man LOL!!!!

both engines are really quiet and both are really good on gas, plus black mercs look better on most boats anyway!!!

Brian,

The newness of the technology does, to some degree, concern me. For that reason, I might wait a year or two before I do anything.

The other side of the coin -- 2-strokes do have two main advantages over 4-stroke engines: weight, fewer moving parts. In some ways that makes them less prone to mechanical failuer. The E-tec seems to rely a lot on computer technology and that, in my mind, might be where the real weakness lies. If that fails, how much $$ are you out?

Anyway -- all comments are welcome and thaks for yours.

Mark

computer tech is all your gonna see on any 2 stroke from this time forward they have to keep it running SO LEAN to meet EPA that its insane when you pull off the cover,Take the cover off a 4 stoke and you can put your full hand about anywhere on the block the bellypan is even low enough to compensate for oil changing etc,pull the cover off my Etec and all you see are boxs wires condensors,you can not see the block,there is ALOT that can go wrong,the Etec is a glorified Ficht Engine the one that brought OMC to Bankruptcy,I dont hate my Etec but id like you to be informed its not all glory days like the dealers and manufacture pushes,if I where about to retire this engine would not even be in my list of options

The other side of the coin -- 2-strokes do have two main advantages over 4-stroke engines: weight,

Mark, if the extra weight of a 4 stroke is a concern to you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My 90 HP 4 stroke Merc is 100 pounds heavier than the 2 stroke 90 HP Johnson I got rid of, but everything else made up for it.

I only lost 1 MPH, which is absolutely nothing to worry about, but the savings on gasoline was enormous, plus the quietness, lack of smoke from the exhaust and the fact that I can troll ALL day long without fouling a plug made the decision very easy.

Not trying to start a 2 stroke versus 4 stroke war here, just showing you another side of the coin. You've ridden in my boat, so you know how nice the 4 stroke is.

There's good and bad with both types of motors, but I'm just offering you another view.

I don't get what they mean by 300hrs no service.

Is this not a two stroke.

Change the plugs and filter.

If it's not running right then it needs to be tooned.

Tybo that 300hrs no service is Bull BRP comes out with a new tune for the ECM back it goes,within 70hrs I lost a set of plugs ,the gearcase at the end of the season NEEDED a oil change,in the end in the fine print when you ask BRP ,the spark plugs good for 300 hrs 3 yrs -NO we did not manufacture the plugs therefore we cannot be held responsible for there lifespan HAHAH ,your also right its a 2 stroke with very fine tolerances therefore requiring a break in not on this baby WOT out of the box

I don't get what they mean by 300hrs no service.

Is this not a two stroke.

Change the plugs and filter.

If it's not running right then it needs to be tooned.

I don't know what the hype is either Paul. The only maintenance on a Verado is a yearly oil change top and bottom ($200 allowing an hour of shop time + the oils and filter) and you're supposed to check the thermostat spring (but you already know it works fine from the temp gauge!). Merc could tell everyone to not bother changing their oil for three years and I doubt it would effect failure rates...they're just not that hard up for a marketing gimic !

There is not anything mechanical built that that does not require servicing at some point in time. That is why there are mechanics and service shops for just about everything. I'm not trying to change anyones mind here. Just keep an open one. All outboards built today are well made, anything fuel injected will have a computer. The E-tec in my opinion is as durable as anything out there. We sell about 70% mercs with the other 30% Hondas and E-tecs. Percentage wise service is approximately the same on the later models. We have been selling motors since Johnson came to Canada way back when.

OMC had their bad years that put them under, it wasn't the Ficht that did them in, the problem started long before that. Market pressures and bad management took the toll.

For the type of boating that I do I would not go back to the 4 stroke at this time. I love the way my engine runs and the fuel economy. I put a lot of hours on it each year and the fuel savings over the Honda were significant. My next outboard may be a Mercury or if Honda comes out with some newer technology I may try one too.

Edited by Bernie

Musky-Man, for what its worth, I bought a new 50HP Etec this time last year. It replaced a 50HP 2 stroke Evinrude that served me well for over 10 years. I was looking for a new motor with better gas mileage and lower emissions. I initially looked at 4-strokes and almost bought one until I found out about the Etec. I surfed the internet for more information on the motor and a whole host of fishing forums in the US in search of people who bought them. This search lasted about a year before I decided to buy the Etec because it was new technology and there wasn't a whole lot of experience out there. The fact that BRP is a Canadian owned company also helped, but primarily, it was the positive feedback of other owners.

Although I really haven't charted my fuel savings, I estimate that I use about 50 to 70% less gas than before. As well, no more smoky motor for me as oil is not burned with the fuel. Engine starting is immediate, starting within the first turn or 2 of the motor, regardless of temperature. Noise, this motor is a lot quieter than my old motor. But the thing that really got me was the 7 year warranty.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

Hope not to spoil the party but my buddies friend has one and its been a complete lemon since day one.

It has alot of problems with trolling in the cold weather and fouling. It has spent more time in the shop then out.

This falls Quinte trip was the third year in a row it died on him in the cold.

I have a 4 stroke Yamaha and it is ROCK SOLID.

Just my expierience with them.

Musky-Man, for what its worth, I bought a new 50HP Etec this time last year. It replaced a 50HP 2 stroke Evinrude that served me well for over 10 years. I was looking for a new motor with better gas mileage and lower emissions. I initially looked at 4-strokes and almost bought one until I found out about the Etec. I surfed the internet for more information on the motor and a whole host of fishing forums in the US in search of people who bought them. This search lasted about a year before I decided to buy the Etec because it was new technology and there wasn't a whole lot of experience out there. The fact that BRP is a Canadian owned company also helped, but primarily, it was the positive feedback of other owners.

Although I really haven't charted my fuel savings, I estimate that I use about 50 to 70% less gas than before. As well, no more smoky motor for me as oil is not burned with the fuel. Engine starting is immediate, starting within the first turn or 2 of the motor, regardless of temperature. Noise, this motor is a lot quieter than my old motor. But the thing that really got me was the 7 year warranty.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

HAHA Randy the 7 yr warranty yeah ,the first three are genuine BRP the rest who knows what insurance company they contracted that out to,good luck with that after 3 yrs,I took the rebate,notice this yr theres no 7 yr warranty offered

i have a 1997 115carb evinjunk 7000 dollars just after warr exp blew a piston had it fixed in toronto 2000cnd next time out to quinte 40 feet of water blew the lower unit junk could not be welded next cost 3900us two years later blows another powerhead next cost 2000us change oil and filters twice a year i run the big motor from point a to b then troll with elec or kicker dont base your decision on my badluck but i know i will buy another one 15,000 is enough

Just a comment but alot of people keep bringing up the fact that the Etec is new technology ?? Been around for 4-5 yrs not really new .And how long have 4 strokes been around not much longer..... is the proof really in the puddding about 4 strokes ? People will always slam something that they don't know about.Mercury has been switching who makes there motor for years ..what does that say ? Has everybody forgot about the FORCE motor by mercury ??? Don't know too many mechanics that will even work on them for fear of them blowing up.Do your homework and you will find out that the Etec is by far the better motor and if you say differently you haven't done your homework.The people who slam the Etec are the same people who probably never have used one.And this whole thing about the Etec being a glorified Ficht engine is just plain ridiculous.Brp and Omc ARE 2 DIFFERENT COMPANIES !!!!! At least evinrude has learned from there mistakes and have fixed them can you really say the same for mercury ? All they do is keep switching who makes them (yamaha,tahatsu,suzuki) what does that say about mercury.Just my 2 cents

HAHA Randy the 7 yr warranty yeah ,the first three are genuine BRP the rest who knows what insurance company they contracted that out to,good luck with that after 3 yrs,I took the rebate,notice this yr theres no 7 yr warranty offered

2 Tone Z71, I'm glad you're satisfied with your choice because I'm satisfied with mine.

To Specktacklure:

1. I think that you need to do a bit more "homework". 4 strokes have around in outboards for 20 or so years, not 4 or 5 years as you state. Honda was the first manufatcurer to bring them to market. I owned a 1996 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke .... I think that makes it 12 years ago and I know that wasn't the first year for them.

2. Mercury contracts out their 4 stroke production only, not their 2 strokes. Yamaha used to have most of it but now I believe that the smaller HP units are produced by Tahatsu. Tahatsu is a Subsidiary of Nisaan... a pretty good car company.

Yes it was Darren and Brunswick/Mercury bought them out and it just took awhile (toooo long awhile) before they got smart enough to toast the line!

The Force Outboard brand was born in the early 1980's when US Marine, the parent company of Bayliner Boats, purchased the old Chrysler Outboard factory and tooling located in Hartford, Wisconsin. Bayliner was the first nationwide company to introduce packaged outboard rigs in which the outboard motor, the boat and a trailer were sold as a single item. Arriving at dealerships fully assembled, these packages were great timesavers for dealers that previously had to custom rig bare hulls with specific engines and accessories chosen by the boats' buyers. Although Force Outboards lacked the technological sophistication of the major outboard brands, their price advantage was significant. Thousands of families discovered their love for boating through these inexpensive Bayliner entry-level outboard boats. In the mid-1980's US Marine was acquired by industry giant Brunswick Corporation (Mercury, Mercruiser, Sea Ray, etc.). The Force Outboard brand quickly benefited from the resources of its big brother Mercury, and all production was soon moved to Mercury's plants. Force Outboards became available on boat brands other Bayliner at dealerships nationwide. The changing marketplace, diminished price advantages and pending government regulations resulted in the decision to discontinue the Force brand in 1999. Parts and service have become more and more difficult for Force owners to find since then.

once again to expand their market Merc bought out chrysler, to use their motor on low end boat packages to give low prices

when it was owned by chrysler it wasn't a bad motor and they figured the HP at the prop unlike most others so their 9.9 would kick everyone elses motors of the same size

on my first bass boat in the 80s I had an old 55hp chrysler on the back, I bought a new 60 merc for it.

8mph slower then the chrysler and they tried just about every prop there was it could not compete ...

may FORCE be with you , cause I would want it..sure went down hill