Evinrude E-Tec -- Question & Opinions

musky_man

Just a comment but alot of people keep bringing up the fact that the Etec is new technology ?? Been around for 4-5 yrs not really new .And how long have 4 strokes been around not much longer..... is the proof really in the puddding about 4 strokes ? People will always slam something that they don't know about.Mercury has been switching who makes there motor for years ..what does that say ? Has everybody forgot about the FORCE motor by mercury ??? Don't know too many mechanics that will even work on them for fear of them blowing up.Do your homework and you will find out that the Etec is by far the better motor and if you say differently you haven't done your homework.The people who slam the Etec are the same people who probably never have used one.And this whole thing about the Etec being a glorified Ficht engine is just plain ridiculous.Brp and Omc ARE 2 DIFFERENT COMPANIES !!!!! At least evinrude has learned from there mistakes and have fixed them can you really say the same for mercury ? All they do is keep switching who makes them (yamaha,tahatsu,suzuki) what does that say about mercury.Just my 2 cents

REALLY ive owned both Fichts and my current E tec, what are you using to compare, Magazine articles,pull the cover off both side by side and show me the differance,same blocks same mids same trim units mmmm same gearcases theve used since they brought out the 60 degree line of engines,sure BRP refined the mapping, but its still got glitches,ive also had a 99 and 02 135 Opti both never made it 700 hrs altho I heard Merc cleaned these motors up in 04 and they are now almost bulletproof