Bass pro rant

mistaredone

Thought id treat my self to a new muskie rod to help the winter blues so I looked up bass pro canada on the internet and found a st croix rod for $135 AMAZING! so I hop in my car drove 40 mins to find out 135 is the america price, Canadians are to pay $180. Trying not to even think about how much our dollars worth I explain to the guy that I was sure I googled bass pro canada. His response was that is a common miss conception :wallbash: Well if this has happened before why hasent bass pro simply put a usd beside thier prices!!! I feel like I have been cheated in order to get me in the store. I was more than happy to bring my business to a small local tackel shop.

Mistaredone,

There is no Bass Pro Shops Canada on the internet. There is one web site for BPS, that originates from the States. The web site clearly states on the first page : "Prices shown are in U.S. funds."

If you look up the Toronto Store circular on basspro.com, it is stated in Canadian Dollars, but that is it. The rest of the site is in U.S. Dollars.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Since there is only one Canadian store, and everything you order online comes from the States, the chances of BPS ever advertising their prices in CND. funds is zero to nil.

Hope your next experience is better..

Good Fishing,

Justin

His response was that is a common miss conception :wallbash: Well if this has happened before why hasent bass pro simply put a usd beside thier prices!!! I feel like I have been cheated in order to get me in the store. I was more than happy to bring my business to a small local tackel shop.

Been there done that drove down money in hand last January for an Aqua Vue. $150.00 more than the web site price here in Canada :wallbash: Neat place to visit but I dont find the prices good enough to make the trip from Waterloo with gas and ETR costs worth it for me .Plus never found the service very good either

I had the same arguement at Chapters a month ago... I was going to buy my grandmother a book and it was $35 more in Canada. I than challanged the store manager who could care less about my arguement. The fact of the matter is our Finance Minister is not concerned with gouging. He remarks were "It will sort itself out". Those remarks were made when Bombardier instructed one of their dealers in in the North not to sell their products to Canadians or they would lose their license. Pretty sad!!!

I order a lot from BPS, and since I do live 5 hours away from the store, 99% of the time it is from the website. With the dollar as it, as well as the great sales BPS has online, it makes the most sense to me.

They will give you a quote on the phone at the time of ordering, that includes all taxes, duty and shipping charges. I have yet to receive any hidden charges, nor have I had to pay the delivery guy once it arrived here.

Definitely worth a comparison shop for those in the market for stuff. And as one poster mentioned, they will use the exchange rate at the time of ordering on your credit card.

Check out the clearence section online - some good deals to be had from time to time..

Good Fishing,

Justin

It says right at the bottom of the page, "Prices shown are in U.S. funds."

No small print there. All the text is in the same size!

With the look of the site I felt no reason to scroll to the bottom of the page.

I got ripped

Guest lundboy
I had the same arguement at Chapters a month ago... I was going to buy my grandmother a book and it was $35 more in Canada. I than challanged the store manager who could care less about my arguement. The fact of the matter is our Finance Minister is not concerned with gouging. He remarks were "It will sort itself out". Those remarks were made when Bombardier instructed one of their dealers in in the North not to sell their products to Canadians or they would lose their license. Pretty sad!!!

I try to order all my books on-line from Amazon.ca. Anything over $39 gets free shipping and the books are ALWAYS at least 25% cheaper than the price printed on the book.

(Hint Chapters does the same thing on their site, but they have far less selection)

I have never seen a book on either site go for the full list price. Same with HMV.

Edited by lundboy

been to BPS Twice, bought nothing prob wont return,im thru supporting these ???????? ill give my cash and time to the local store, Rammakos Tackle in Sudbury,there small family run friendly and KNOW what there talking about

That's because you are near BPS everyday. When I go in, I know what I want... If I am not sure, I buy whatever catch's my eye.

I buy certain things from local stores, I buy certain things from big box stores. I am a pretty impulsive buyer, but there have been several times we've opted out of BPS for shopping at a smaller store. Right G? Right Bill? and we were very pleased with our experience.

I suppose NAFTA doesn't apply to all items and you end up paying more in Canada. They'll figure it out, close the store or wither on the vine. Sometimes a big one eats up a couple of little ones and other times the big one dies and three little ones pop up.

There may be gouging going on, but the retailer is possibly not the gouger.

In my little town the independent grocers operate on a 17% markup. Markup, not profit. Where I buy a lot of groceries in

Canada the markup is 25% and they pay much higher wholesale prices than in my town. How do I know? I asked them? It doesn't bother me. Both businessmen need to make a profit after lots of overhead and taxes. Have never considered myself gouged or screwed or a victim or needing someone to mother me and listen to me whine.