Simcoe Report

rhare

Well my buddy Dan and I headed out for a hour today on a little bay in kemp. The ice was 2-4" thick and inconsistant. We headed out packed light with the spikes out just incase. No one fishing but us in this area although I know more ppl where out. Dan managed to get a nice whitefish about 3.5lbs. We fished in 65fow, We marked a few more but no takers. all and all not a bad hour of fishing.

Chip chip step. went through in about 6 pokes

100_0955.jpg

Auger under some thin ice.

simcoe2.jpg

Dan fighting his fish

simcoe3.jpg

nice start to a good season.

100_0948.jpg

The warm weather tomorrow could be hard on the ice, it will be more unstable as the day goes by so becareful everyone.

Ryan

VERY nice fish . . . . but isn't it just amazing how much the scales & scale pattern resemble another well-known fish? If the scales were just a bit bigger . . . and the colour was slightly more bronze . . . . presto neato . . . a 'whistling trout?' :whistling:

Just in case any younger people are reading this post and thinking, WELL THEY FISHED WITH 2 INCHES OF ICE, because they had floater suites and ice picks, heres the reality of how lucky these 2 fellows were, even with a floater suite, you have about five minutes to get your self out of the water, 2 inches of ice when useing a pick, jab at the ice it breaks, jab again it breaks, even if it were to hold, the wieght from you trying to pull yourself up on 2 inches of ice, the ice breaks.

SO PLEASE BE SMART,2 INCHES OF ICE ISNT ENOUGH to fish over 30ft of water.

I have a question, why is it when we hear about someone going threw the ice and hear it was 2 inches thick, most of the comments are about how stupit they were for being out there with that little ice, but when guys are lucky and make it back to shore we pat them on the shoulder like their a hero...

SORRY BUT I THINK THIS KIND OF THREAD SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE TO PEOPLE WHEN IT COMES TO SAFTEY ON THE ICE< THE ONLY COMMENT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SEEN HERE WAS THE ONE TERRY MADE WHEN HE SAID HE WAS SMART ENOUGH NOT TO GO OUT ON 2 INCHES OF ICE :clapping:

This board and it's previous incarnations have never had a member die fishing. Please, keep that streak alive. Be careful. Glad you guys had a good outing, but the ice is not safe this week in many places. Leave it alone for a few weeks and it will all be good again.

By no way did I start this thred to make people think the ice was safe. I took the auger pic to show just how unsafe the ice is.

ICE ON DEEP WATER ON LAKE SIMCOE IS NOT SAFE, END OF STORY.

Simcoe is a big lake and has lots of areas that have current flowing under the ice. Many areas the ice is far too thin to walk on.

This happend to be a place I was confident on. Its also not my first time ice fishing, and I know whats safe for me to walk on and whats not.

everyone please be safe out there, the ice is not the same today as it was yesterday.

Not enough ice for me I am a "car or small pickup" I guess if i follow Danbo's chart.

I myself 2" or 2' i have my ice picks on my neck, if you go through what good are they gonna do for you if they are in your tackle bag??

Nice whitefish.

Corey

you wear em around your neck when you know you might go in, we also had 30' of rope in between us so if one guy went the other should be safe.

Not enough ice for me I am a "car or small pickup" I guess if i follow Danbo's chart.

I myself 2" or 2' i have my ice picks on my neck, if you go through what good are they gonna do for you if they are in your tackle bag??

Nice whitefish.

Corey

[quote name='troutguy' date='Jan 6 2008, 11:36 AM' post='14846

This happend to be a place I was confident on. Its also not my first time ice fishing, and I know whats safe for me to walk on and whats not.

NOW THAT YOU HAVE SAID THIS, please find and read every story about all that have drowned this year and every one has the same theme, THEY knew what they were doing and were very experenced, im not trying to be unreasonable, but they buried my wifes brother on his 20th birthday, because he knew what he was doing and was very experenced, TRUST me when I say, DONT MAKE YOUR FAMILY HAVE MAKE THAT STATEMENT TO THE PAPERS

PS especially for a fish that looks anything like a freakin carp :wallbash:

I just got home with my 2 whities.After getting skunked yesterday,I had a plan to go farther today with a couple of local buddies today.I got to the park at 7 ....nobody there,but wasn't long before another came along,and another.....so the 3 of us walked east with one guy stopping eary.the other guy said he missed one yesterday ,so I was following him......we got to 85 ft. and I went a little farther,but within eyeshot as it was very foggy....and within 11/2 hrs I had my 2 whities ....MMMMM dinner is going to be good tonight....TC and tight lines all