Winter Boot Reviews.....

Burtess

Since there were quite a few replies to another thread about the rubber felt packs on sale at Canadian Tire, I thought it would be good to have a thread where everyone could review their winter footwear.

Here is my review for my favorite ice-fishing boots:

Men's Kamik® Ultralight Snowmobile Boot

• Durable nylon upper with reflective taping on front and back
  • Mega-bottom for extreme cold conditions (temperature rated to -74° C / - 100° F)
  • Removable Zylex Comfortemp® liner to ensure that you have a dry boot every time
  • Top cord-lock closure and lacing system
  • Available in men's sizes 7 to 12

These are available at Canadian Tire, reg. priced at $119.99, but they go on sale every year for ~$30 off.

I have had these boots for two winter seasons now and they are by far the warmest boots I have ever owned. Combined with a thin polypro liner sock and the Ice Sock by Wigwam, I have spent full days out in <-20°C weather (no hut :wallbash: ) and they have kept me comfortable.

The liners are 13mm thick, similar to the ones on the Kamik Oslo, with foam + felt + a reflective foil layer. Also they have a 11mm thick felt and reflective foil frost plug, this is very important to keep the cold from the ground from penetrating the boot.

My friends have the Kamik K2 boots which are lighter weight and comment on how much more robust these boots are.

To aid in movement and flexing (they are branded a snowmobile boot), the felt liners are split partially down the sides of the boot to allow more movement. This makes them as easy to walk in as the more light weight felt packs.

boots.jpg

Good boots!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Burt :)

These are my more mild weather boots:

Rocky 9" Sport Utility Max

▪1,000 grams of Thinsulate Insulation

▪Full-grain dark brown leather and Mossy Oak Break-Up nylon

▪Guaranteed ROCKY waterproof construction

http://www.rockyboots.com/Products/details...;RecsPerPage=20

I bought these boots at BassPro to replace an old pair of Kodiak hunting boots. I was looking for a lightweight boot with light insulation. I ended up purchasing the Sport Utility Max because they were on sale at BassPro. If I remember correctly they were around $120...

I wear these when trekking through the bush and late and early season trout fishing from shore. They are a very warm boot, both when you are on the move, and when stationary for extended periods. They seem to be very breathable as my feet do not seem to sweat even when doing a lot of walking. They are waterproof from where the toungue joins the boot, which is pretty far up the shaft of the boot.

The heavy Thinsulate insulation results in a boot you can wear in the middle of winter with little worry of getting cold. I wear these when I stand for a couple of hours watching my kids tobaggan and stay toasty warm.

They are a stiff boot though. The positive to this is that they do give a lot of ankle support, but they could be more flexible for those long walks through the bush. It takes a while to work these boots in.

The tread is quite aggressive and provides solid traction in mud, snow, frozen mud, etc..

rockyboot.jpg

I wear a pair of Sorels that are 36 years old. I've replaced the liners and laces, of course, but the leather uppers and rubber bottoms are still working. I put a whole tin of Dubbin into those boots in the first coupla years, and the leather is still soft, supple and waterproof. I've worn these boots icefishing for decades, exclusively walking and sitting out on the ice all day.

I recently cut a foot bed liner out of closed cell foam, used for packing material. That will make them so warm I might have to take them off from time to time.

Pack boots are definitely the warmest for icefishing, and those Kamiks look deluxe. They don't do well treking over heavy terrain tho, and the hiking hunting style of the Rockies would be much better for that, with more support, tread, and a smaller outline.

Edited by douG

When I go ice fishing, I just wear some good waterproof insulated hiking boots and a GOOD pair of Helly Hansen Poly Pro socks.

Working in clothing retail, I've noticed that people will pay a lot of money for decent boots, BUT won't wear good socks. It doesn't matter what you have on your feet, if you wear crappy socks, you will be cold! Get some HH's, or Smartwool hiking socks and you're all set. If you do start to feel a little chill, take a little walk around for a couple minutes, and your golden.

2 years ago, I bought a pair of snowmobile boots at Walmarts for 70 dollars. They are rated -74 F. I normally wear size 9 1/2 shoes so I bought size 12 boots. I took out the thick insulated inner boot and slipped a thick rubber (with large holes for air) and felt sole under the inner boot. There is even 2 layers of insulate stuck to the inside of the outer layer. These boots have 2 large straps that tighten around the ankle and calf of the leg. The boots must be about 18 to 20 inches high. The rubber sole of the boot is very thick with excellent deep thread design.

The boots are excellent. I have diabetes so my circulation is not what it once was. However, I now never get cold feet when ice fishing. I do wear Ducks Unlimited socks over which I wear the best wool, super thick, insulating socks I could find....I think Wig Wams.

Ok....this is not an outfit for jogging but, the straps do keep the boots on my feet when walking and I do get taller by a good 2 inches. Surprisingly enough, the rubber is real rubber and stays very flexible at -40.

Edited by Dabluz

Dont forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Most important thing of all!!!!

Dont put your boots or socks on untill you get to the Lake !!!!

You can have the warm'est boots on the planet but it you drive for an hour and the heats on OHHHHH baby your feet are sweating.

Nothing says love like dry warm feet!!!!!!

yes you may walk o bit to get to your hole but a least you started with dry feet instead of damp ones!!

And thats my tip for the day!!!!

Leave your small change by the door on your way out!!!

Rp

• 1 year later...
Anyone have any comments on the Baffin trapper/titan boots?

Only just over a year late, but what the heck.....

I recently picked up a pair of Baffin Titan's. I didn't even know they made insulated rubber boots like this!!

Baffin Titan

• Fully moulded waterproof boot
  • 1" snow cuff
  • Minus 100°C/-148°F comfort rated inner boot system
  • Aggressive, long wearing, self-cleaning outsole design
  • Micro-cellular waffle foot bed traps air and moisture
  • Full Sizes Only - 7 - 14

I found them on sale at TSC for $82.49 plus tax (regular $110). Get a pair before they sell out!

I have not put them through an ice fishing excursion yet but the liner system is NICE! It consists of a thick layer of "Polymech" open cell foam, a layer of felt, and a couple layers of "vaporized aluminum membrane". The inner lining is velvety smooth and very comfortable. The liner literally wraps around and envelopes your feet. Rated to - 100°C/-148°F. The hight of the boot is 14". These should be unbeatable with there is a load of slush and water on the ice.

Walking in these boots is not what you would expect. The heel and toe are angled somewhat to allow for a natural, smooth, rolling movement of the foot, very unlike the clunkiness of cheaper rubber felt packs.

There is no comparing the Titans to the felt pack rubber boots available everywhere for ~$40, these are the real deal.

Below is a pic of the boots, one of the liners pulled out, and the waffle foot bed that is positioned between the liner and the sole of the boot.

BaffinTitan.jpg

Edited by Burtess

For me the most important thing is double knit pure wool socks. ONE pair, inside my crappy tire green rubbers and I'm good to go all day, in temps most people would not go out in.

Just make sure to dry out your liners always. If my feet arent in my boots, the liners are out drying.

Too many socks are NOT good. Most times people will stuff thier boots with too many socks. Its the air space that keeps your feet warm, not all those socks. No airspace=cold feet.

Your better to have cool feet, than hot feet.

IMO, its all in your socks. I wear cheap boots, and have my whole life.

Sinker