Nasty Winter Storm Tonight and Tomorrow - Snow, Freezing Rain, Rain

ccmtcanada

This winter storm watch is in effect for all of Southern Ontario all the way to Brockville and north to Algonquin Park. Stay safe everyone! Check this link for your area....

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/son_e.html

===========================================================================

6:56 AM EST Saturday 1 December 2007

...Winter storm on its way this evening through Sunday...

This is an alert to the potential development of dangerous winter weather conditions in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

The snow squalls the Lee of northern Lake Huron and Georgian Bay should finally dissipate later this morning. These squalls are still capable producing snow at the rate of 15 centimetres every 12 hours.

Travellers are advised to use extreme caution when travelling in these areas as the snow squalls can produce near zero visibilities in snow and blowing snow along with very slippery road conditions.

In the slightly longer term a major winter storm developing over Colorado is tracking northeastward towards southern Ontario. Snow is expected to arrive over southwestern Ontario by early this evening. The wintery mix of precipitation will move east towards cottage country and the greater Toronto area tonight.

5 centimetres of snow will likely fall over southwestern Ontario by Sunday morning before the precipitation changes over to rain while 10 to 15 centimetres is expected over the Niagara Escarpment. The greater Toronto area will see 10 centimetres of snow before the snow changes over to rain midday Sunday. A significant period of freezing rain or ice pellets is possible as the precipitation transitions from snow to rain.

Northwest of a line from Midland to Oshawa the precipitation will remain frozen. As a result the snowfall amounts will be higher with 5 to 10 centimetres falling tonight and another 10 to 15 Sunday.

The snow may possibly be heavy at times which can cause brief whiteout conditions.

Snow will only begin to fall over eastern Ontario Sunday morning. For eastern Ontario the bulk of the now will fall Sunday night and Monday morning.

At this point in time there is still uncertainty in the track of the low. If the low tracks further north a higher percentage of the precipitation will fall as rain. Alternately if the low tracks further south the snowfall amounts will be higher than currently indicated in the forecast.

The winter storm will be extended east and or upgraded to a warning. Environment Canada will continue to monitor the situation as new information arrives.

....I'm off for the next few days so I guess I'll be staying in. But I am ready, got that new snow blower I'm itch'n to try and had the snow tires (all four) put on the van yesterday.

In the mean time I think I'll get a fire going in the rec room (yes I have a fire place) and get moving on the new framing and insulation work.

I t'ink I feel a bad case of flu comin' on Monday . . . . whomever coined that infamous phrase; 'Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail, nor dark of night . . . . . ," SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT AND SHOT!!

Now Photoz...you just have to 'get r done'!!! :lol: But I do feel for ya....and I hope the people on your route give you a nice thank you at Christmas. I'm curious...do they?

Actually I do quite well at Christmas on my walk . . . . . everything from home baking to a few jugs of firewater, (3 Italian households make REALLY good wine!!) I even get a couple big boxes (or pails) of doggie biscuits! (Quite tasty with cream cheeze actually!) <_< But . . . . the general neighbourhood is slowly changing . . . . an awful lot of people rarely clear their ice & snow any more . . . . . last year I had to cut quite a few people's mail off, you NEEDED real ice climbing gear to get to their mailbox . . . . . they just drive out their garage doors . . . th' 'ell with clearing the walk!!

I just got my new snow blower last week, used it the other night, went to use it tonight, couldn't get the thing to go...noticed it's leaking gas when I prime it :( I'll take it back Monday or I hope, and have them fix it...might have to call in sick myself if I can't get out of the driveway....

Maureen

I leave at 6:00 am for baltimore...wish me well.

I feel your pain, I leave for work at around 5, looks like I might head out a bit early. The good news is that according to the weather network, rain isn't supposed to hit until late morning, 11am, so they say Weather network. All you'll have to worry about (hopefully) is the snow. Drive carefully and like Cliff said, let us know you arrived safely if you can.

Me, I hope lost of customers cancel their plans, or I'm in for a looonnng day.

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

I just got my new snow blower last week, used it the other night, went to use it tonight, couldn't get the thing to go...noticed it's leaking gas when I prime it :( I'll take it back Monday or I hope, and have them fix it...might have to call in sick myself if I can't get out of the driveway....

Maureen

And what brand of snowblower did you get?