Portable Ice hut

PERCHER

I think I am going to retire my home made ice hut and buy a new portable.But the problem is choices (there is to many).I was looking at the Clam Fish Trap Guide or a Fabrill trekker 2 or even one of the box style huts.What I need is one that will fit in the back of my Explorer ,easy to pull by hand ,seats two adults and sets up fairly quick.If anyone owns one of these style huts and wants to share their pros and cons that would be very helpfull.I am kind of leaning towards a flip style hut.

This one has served its purpose now its time to move on.

127_2710_1.JPG

Any advise?

Thanks

Hey Percher - I have the Guide and love it, but I pull it with the snowmobile or the atv. On clear ice it is no problem to pull by hand, but get a few inches on snow on the ice, and loaded down with gear - and you got a workout ahead of you. Can't beat the comfort - except with my sleeper hut.

Hope this helps a little - and good luck with your purchase.

Don

I have owned both the box style and the flip. No comparison. The flip style is way more user friendly/versatile. More money...absolutely, but in MHO this is definately one of those areas where you "gets what you paid for."

I currently have a Fish Trap Pro... again in MHO...the best one man portable hut made.

I know there 2 and even 3 person models are quality made as well.

There are lots of choices out there...but whatever model/make you go with I would go with a flip for sure. You will not be disappointed.

Although I don't have one I have fished out of the flip over Frabills... pretty easy to pull on the ice even with snow and ice chunks protruding from underneath. If I was going to buy an Ice hut it would be this one... really quick to set up and it has the sled attached too, so you just toss in your gear and the removable seat and start moving, keeps you portable when you just have to flip down teh shelter to carry it around.

hopefully this helps you some, good luck in your search

For sure, get a flip over style.......the tents are a PITA if there is any wind at all.

I have an eskimo quick flip 2 man. Its great if your pulling it with a machine, but to pull by hand is a workout. (88lbs empty) Its doable, but its hard work!! Great for 1 person (lots of room) not bad for 2. Lots of room for gear, and the sled is tough. Mine has the bench seat which is great, with the backrest.....sweet. Solid construction.....the poles stick a bit sometimes when its real cold, but I think they all do.

Overall, I like it alot, I just don't like pulling it by hand. If its first ice, or last ice and I can't take the machine, I usually just rough it......unless its REALLY nasty out.

P2170016-1.jpg

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Most companies that make portable shelters always compare themselves to FishTrap's, they say as good as fishtraps or better than fishtraps or similar to Fishtraps..

Just go with a fishtrap and your problems will be solved. There customer service is amazing, there stuff is well built , very easy to set-up . You won't regret buying one.

I have a the Clam, Yukon and it is great. Very easy set up a little heavy but the comfort of padded ajustable seats plenty of room is worth it. It makes it easier to pull if you get the sliders that are extra but saves the bottom of the tote also. I use my ATV to pull it unless the ice isn't thick enough, but like the rest said you will have quite the workout getting out there if there is lots of snow and your pulling it.

I have the Hi Tech PE2 (quick flip style)

I bought it dirt cheap at BPS.

Never had a problem with it other than snapping off the pull tabs on both zippers.

Fixed that with zip ties left in a big loop. It's better now than it was before they broke.

The sleigh could be designed better for pulling though. Some days its more like a plow than a sled.

I used to have an Eskimo Quick Flip 2. It worked well but the tent material was way too thin

and allowed the wind to blow thru too easy, not good on a real cold day.

Maybe they have better material now. The pic "Sinker" showed looks like better material than mine had.

Quick Flip style portables are the only way to go in my opinion.

I find the box type way too confining, especially with 2 guys in it.

P.S. - I spray WD40 on and in each tube (frame) that slides inside one another.

Makes for easy set ups and take downs. Some sprayed on the zipper helps with freezing up too.

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset

Check out these ones.

http://www.icefish.com/index.html

This was my first store bought hut.The black tarp attracks the heat and is a heavier material for the cover.

Brian the high tech looks the same as my Frabill identical set up.Just different windows.

IMG_0176JPGwintertrout.jpg

Although I like my Frabill 2 man .If I was to buy a hut today it would be a Clam they look solid and user friendly.

Edited by Mike the Pike

Percher,

I would definately go with the Clam/Trap models.I have the trap pro which I got last year and love it.My only suggestion with anyone pulling one of these guys by hand is lengthen the rope so you have like about 6-8 feet of space between you and the sled.Wrap or secure it around your waist.Someone recently mentioned a weight belt which I'm gonna try cause I have one and they'll stay on while pulling.Distribute the weight in the box so it's a little biased to the rear and carry your auger(hand type) or spud bar.That'll keep a lot of the plowing under control when you gotta go thru snow.

Kerry

Glad your going with the Trap. You can buy cheap twice or good once.

I stared with a fish trap scout and up graded after 3 years to a Guide. Runners for the bottom are a must or you'll wear a hole in the bottom of the tub in no time. As mentioned the longer rope really makes a difference. If your going to be pulling it by hand really cut down on your gear. Place your gear at the back to the front is unweighted. I pull mine with a snowmobile/Atv. I don't use the Clam towbar as it seems to flimsy for me. I have one off an Equiox toboggan I have. I made my own brackets which run down the side of the tub. Mush stronger than the little brackets Clam gives you. I take mine into the back lakes with no problem. My buddies clam hitch failed. We've fixed it good now.

RR

BBPMar14002.jpg

Jan212006004.jpg

Edited by ravinerat

I just love the ice cube ... http://cgi.ebay.ca/Eastman-Ice-Cube-icefis...1QQcmdZViewItem... goes up easy ... is light and truly portable ... and stays put on the ice - even in high winds ... and really is quite affordable ... I got the 2 man ... kinda wish I got the 4 man .. but hey theres always next year :)

Edited by camillj

I have the Clam Guide as well, I removed the seats and brackets in it, they are very heavy. I sit on pails. Makes it easier to pull in the snow. I used a little piece of rubber back carpet under the pails so they don't slide around in the tub. Now I have the seats setting in my basement wasting space. Would be nice if you could buy the clam with no seats, would be a little cheaper. And when someone tells you they're hard to pull in the snow by hand, you better have a good ticker. :stretcher: Try pulling it for 3,4,5 miles <_< .

I have the Clam Guide as well, I removed the seats and brackets in it, they are very heavy. I sit on pails. Makes it easier to pull in the snow. I used a little piece of rubber back carpet under the pails so they don't slide around in the tub. Now I have the seats setting in my basement wasting space. Would be nice if you could buy the clam with no seats, would be a little cheaper. And when someone tells you they're hard to pull in the snow by hand, you better have a good ticker. :stretcher: Try pulling it for 3,4,5 miles <_< .

Good points FF.

Percher - You'll be happy with your choice. I got mine last winter and love it. It is a pig to pull through the snow by hand though. Did that once and have used the snowmobile ever since. Might be a good idea to take the seats out if you are doing a lot of pulling by hand as FF has done.