Where would you live if you could live anywhere

grt1

Along the shores of the mighty OTTAWA RIVER... !!!!!!!! :worthy::worthy::w00t: somewhere around the pembroke & petawawa area...its just so nice ,including the scenery the people,well and of course the FISHING IS SIMPLY AMAZING.. B):clapping: .the whole ottawa river valley including the east side of alqunqin park.. :whistling: ..see now im gettin depressed just thinking about it...cause i live in oshawa as my commute would be about 4hrs one-way...LOL..LOL oh well someday soon,when i retire thats where im going to fish out my days....great thread cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I'd put a vote in for Barrie, Short jaunt to Georgian bay, close to TO if you need it, North Shore of Lake O about an hour, kawartha's just over an hour and it's right on lake Simcoe, I lived in the north end of Barrie for 3 years, loved it, always thought the north end anyways, had a small town feel to it, with all the perks of a big city

My wife and I have been debating retirement lately, and where we would like to serve it. Both of us have (something like) second careers that will travel well so we're flexible. In fact we just walked in the door from a week in the Phoenix area, and we as usual came home saying there's no place like home, Stratford to be exact.

I've been selling homes to newcomers for 30 years here and I've come to realize there's a reason so many want to come here to live. It's a great town. Culture up the yingyang with the Shakespearean Festival, restaurants of all levels of pretention and budget, reasonable cost of living, proximity to urban sophistication as well (as well as the amenities of cities) with:

- London (virtues already extolled here) only 45 minutes away,

- Kitchener/Waterloo if you can't live without Octoberfest (and two top drawer universities) 30 minutes away,

- Hamilton (must have some virtues other than being a haven for scads of OFNers :whistling: ) 60 minutes,

- Toronto with all the great things (and some not so great) either 1 1/4 or 2 1/2 hours depending on the traffic.

- Only 2 hours to Buffalo and the Sabres & Bills games, or 3 hours to Dee-troy-it for whatever it is that draws people there.

Despite being so close to bigger places many of us still leave our doors unlocked and let the kids go out at night unchaperoned. I had to learn to carry a spare car key when I was showing houses to strangers because they'd lock the car from habit when I had left it open with the keys in the ignition.

As for fishing there's no shortage of bass and carp (or the odd pike) if you want to go down to the river. Drive for 10 or 15 minutes and the variety's better. Drive for 1 or 2 hours and there's enough choices to keep you busy for years. 3 to 4 hours puts you in the Kawarthas or 1 hour on the Erie & Huron tribs. We get a bit of snow in January thru March but there's ice fishing at Wildwood, and Mexico's only a 4 1/2 hour flight away.

JF

I would totally disagree with Vancouver. I wonder who in the heck is doing the ratings (seriously) as the social problems (I call them TDM's....thieving druggy misfits) are far greater than you could imagine. The fishing has superb quality, but is in rapid decline. And the realestate....outrageous.

And yes....I live very close to it.

I missed the boat here about 100 years ago. Bay of Quinte has it beat hands down for numbers, variety, etc etc. Just another two cents

outdoorguy61

Calgary is probably the best in terms of being in a city and not too far from rural fishing areas.

I did some research on kids education and job opportunities. My wife did not want to move is the only reason I am still here.

Fishing is amazing there as I tried to get involved with some alberta fishing website, except no bass.

Many of our drinking water comes from there, therefore less pollution than other provinces.

It seemed cold from temp forecast but a dry cold and not too windy , many said that Toronto seemed colder.

3.5 % jobless rate, the city is desperate for workers.

Currently we live in NW Ontario, just south of Red Lake. The wife wants to move to the city. Since we are both from southern Ontario (30 years ago) we know the area generally, but since changes occur over time, we know the area would probably not be recgnizable to us.

We are considering Winnipeg since it is close and has the shopping and entertainment the wife wants but it has become so violent in the past couple years and the car thefts are skyrocketing, i'm becoming leary of moving there even though it's close to great fishing.

Where would the members of this board live if they could live anywhere. bearing in mind shopping facilities and entertainment and fishing availability?

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill

If you want a larger city with all the shopping and entertainment but don't want the big smoke I would suggest London or somewhere close to it.... I am not a fan of the city by any means but it does have all the toy so to speak and is on the Thames (good fishing) And about 1 hr to 1:15 hrs to more than a few spots on lake Erie and Lake Huron as well..... Lake Ontario about 2hrs or less.

My wife and I have been debating retirement lately, and where we would like to serve it. Both of us have (something like) second careers that will travel well so we're flexible. In fact we just walked in the door from a week in the Phoenix area, and we as usual came home saying there's no place like home, Stratford to be exact.

I would agree with everything in your post except the low cost of living? Stratford is damn expensive for what you get for our HIGH property tax. We pay millions every year for the lovely park system that we lowly citizens only get to use during the winter because you can't park down there during season. If the dollar stays high that will probably change though and with the new director at the Festival will probably see a HUGE drop in attendance next year.

However you can be fishing in some really fantastic spots in well under 90 minutes....

I grew up in the Ottawa Valley, west of Pembroke...Deep River area. I know highway 17 very well. My parents live in Pembroke and they love it. I have lived in Cornwall...hated the smell. But I think that has changed. I presently live 30 minutes east of Ottawa, I love the country. But I would suggest Pembroke area. It really depends how much city life you both are wanting. Not as expensive as other areas and close enough to Ottawa, and close enough for day trips to many little towns, wonderful sightseeing and as you been hearing...great fishing.

Good luck...not an easy choice to make.

Despite it's depressed forestry based economy, it's nice to see my hometown of Thunder Bay making the list. I've never lived anywhere else, but I like it here. Especially if you're into the outdoors. Just look at it's location on a map. It's at the headwaters of Lake Superior with nothing else near it for hundreds of miles. There's Walleye and Pike lakes by the hundreds up here. Hardly anyone targets the Pike that can get up to 30 lbs.+. If you ask 10 different people where they're going for Walleyes any given weekend, you'll get 10 different answers. Same goes for Smallmouth. It's literally an untapped fishery. Despite the numerous lakes full of them, hardly anyone goes Bass fishing up here. We've got our Salmon, Lake Trout and Steelhead from Superior as well. If you see another Steelheader at your spot, then you've seen too many. Perhaps the best Musky fishing on the planet is just a few hours away. The Kenora, Dryden and Sioux Lookout areas are prime. And then there's the Brook Trout. Arguably the best drive to Brookie fishing on the planet is within reach. And if you just like the outdoors and seeing wildlife, Moose, Deer, Bears, Bald eagles are plentiful as well. I think I'll be staying right here.

There is no Wall-Ice in Alabama and if there is its probably frozen and imported :whistling: I can only live where there is a fresh supply of Dore.

:canadian:

I beg to differ. There most certainly is walleye in Alabama.

I would pick Saltspring Island off of Vancouver island. It's big enough that it has decent shopping. Great summer climate and just a little less damp then Vancouver. If you miss the snow, head to Whistler. You are a short ferry ride away from awesome saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing. There is even decent fishing on the island. Just a very beautiful corner of this world.

Out east looks nice too. Perhaps some place central so you would be close enough to PEI, Newfoundland, Cape Breton and Southern Nova Scotia shore. What I have seen of Northern Quebec is also great.

If it had to be Ontario, then I would want to be above the hummid/smog belt which can extend to Sudbury/Northbay. The Nipigon area is awesome, Tamagami, and LOTW.

My home town Cobourg,

Everything is just a couple of hours away. I can go fishing for Walleyes in less than 15 minutes. I can go for trophy Walleye, trophy Pike, trophy Rainbow, trophy Muskie, trophy Salmon, trophy Perch and trophy Gar in less than 3 hours.

Oh ya, there is malls close by, and Super malls within 45 minutes as well.

Forgot to add, where else can you live and be able to fish ALL of Southern Ontario within 5 hours? Where else can you live where you can fish most of Central Ontario within 5 hours?

Edited by Ron