Muskie rod ?.

Tybo

in my mind you are looking for two separate rods.

the 6'9" st. croix premiere will handle the heavy glide baits and other jerkbaits but it would be my last choice for trolling. too stiff.

i think you would like it. i'm 6' and i wish it were a couple of inches longer but with the same rod action. compared to the 7'2" which has slower action, I think you'll find the 6'9" makes working gliders and jerks easier - it has an extra fast action and the tip wont flex with each jerk or pull.

for trolling, i prefer a longer, slightly softer rod to absorb the shock of strikes and bottom contact. if you have a dipsey rod it will work very well as a muskie trolling rod provided you don't go too crazy with lures, but for stuff like believers and jakes it works well. i trolled with a 9' MH dipsey rod quite a bit before buying a muskie troller. dipsey rods are cheap, and being glass, very durable although heavy (who cares, it is sitting in a rod holder). i personally use the 8' st. croix premiere glass composite muskie trolling rod and it trolls everything from little SSRs to 14"+ big lipped thumpers. great rod but not cheap.

Edited by Raf

I have a couple of compre's.

But I need something that will jerk the heavy 8oz glide baits.

I got a 7'2" Pete, great rod but I keep hitting the water with it.

Can you stand on a sturdy stepstool/box and save a bunch of cash??? LOL.

You can hit me next time I see you....haha

Edited by ccmtcanada

Hey Paul, I have very limited muskie experience. Keeping that in mind...

I have a 7' St.Croix Triumph and a 6'9" St.Croix Premiere. Both are fine for trolling and I use the 7' for spinnerbaits/bucktails, the 6'9" for jerkbaits. I really like both but the 7' Triumph is just too soft for reefing on these big baits.

I think 6'6" is probably the way to go and you can get into the Triumph series rods for under $100. A little more for the Premiere.

-Brian

I use my 7' 2" Pete Maina for trolling and the price is right for that use for sure.

6' 9" St. Croix PM69XHF seems to work well on the heavy jerk and glides. has 3 to 8 oz rating. Haven't had anything big on the end yet...but it seems to work the baits well. (of course it's a tad over $100...but worth it I think Paul)

Edited by irishfield

hey Tybo

Add 65 to your 100

and get a MH quantum Pt

berkley also has some good ones for 79.99 at canadian tire

but then again your chucking 8.oz's wow! what are you throwing one of those monster sized rapalas

Edited by FinS

hey man for trolling check out the tiger stik ( saltwater, its about 55 bucks really sensitive) .For throwing really large baits ( super mag dawg etc I have a 6 foot powerplus I got for shark fishing off the piers. It does the job and at 20 bucks you can't go wrong. it is not sensitive at all though, good little pool cue)

like Crazyhook said Tiger Rod alot of bang for the buck..... also some CTC stores still stock the Gorilla Stick[berkley] in a heavy action 7' ,,, I use both ... I run into problems near the boat with the Gorilla Stick 'cause I'm 5'6". ...I've had 200.00$ Muskie rods and have had no more or no less success with them than my CTC specials... to me it's the action you prefer ... but mostly the reels and the line you put on them....and most important what you have on the end of that line and how you use it..

Good Luck on the water .... ZZZZZZING! :Gonefishing:

Why are you people abetting him in his senseless spending habits :lol:

Next thing you know he'll need a new reel to go with the new rod.......

Nevermind, I see he already bought one :rolleyes:

The addiction continues......

Joey

Geez I would of said the rods were 30 and 10 if I knew you were watching the thread Joey!

God knows if my wife ever had my stuff apraised I would have some feet to rob :)

The best muskie trolling rod I own was made by Spiel. What a beautiful piece of work. Built around a 7'7" G Loomis blank. Paired that up with a Calcutta 700B and it's killer. The Shimano Compres and the Pete Maina rods are great rods for that application. I'm sure there are others....