West Lake report

frozen-fire

As my earlier thread suggested, I would come back with a report. Thanks to all those who offered their advice.

We stayed at a cottage on the southern shore of East Lake. My girlfriend who is currently crazy about canoeing, wanted to go, but we couldn't find any place that had them for rent at this particular lake for some reason. From my research, East Lake is a better lake for canoeing, due to the calmer conditions, whereas West can get choppy quite quickly making it pretty dangerous. So we skipped fishing East and decided to just go for some fishing at West the next day. We ended up hiking one of the trails at Sandbanks provincial park for the day instead. It was amazing having the whole trail to ourselves.

The next morning, we unfortunately slept in, and headed out at around noon. I was kinda bummed cause we missed the morning action, but I still wanted to get out there. We drove to the north side of West and rented a boat out of West lake Marina ( http://www.westlakemarina.com/ ). People there were very friendly and quickly got us out on the water.

IMG_3394Small.jpg

At first, it was quite choppy and I really wasn't feeling it. But I quickly get into the first fish of the day after a couple casts into a bunch of weeds.

IMG_3395Small.jpg

IMG_3397Small.jpg

After releasing the largie, it got quite dark quickly and winds picked up. I feared that it would get really bad, but we waited it out. Fishing sucked the whole time it was really dark with the overcast. It continued like this for what seemed like forever. We kept drifting around looking for bassy structure to no avail.

IMG_3398Small.jpg

Finally the sun decides to pity us and shows itself! We ended up at a small calm section of the Lake, a nice little bay. Girlfriend soon hooks into a small bass.

IMG_3404Small.jpg

She even manages some rather large and feisty pumpkinseed as well.

IMG_3407Small.jpg

This spot seems to be really producing. Lots of hits, and lots of small bass being very acrobatic, jumping and clearing the water while shaking the lures out. I continue to throw out a 3 inch yellow twister tail to try and entice the fish. I'm reeling it in and once at boatside, a very scrappy pike comes from beneath the boat and inhales it. I'm using 8lb mono, and praying that it doesn't cut the line. The pike completely inhaled the grub, but luckily the line was at the corner of the mouth. I have to say, even though the fish wasn't huge, my heart was in my throat. Considering the size of the thing, it even peeled line and gave me two decent runs. This guy definitely had more fight in it than early season Toronto Island pike... I'm so glad I had jawspreaders.

IMG_3408Small.jpg

IMG_3409Small.jpg

Back in the water it goes.

IMG_3413Small.jpg

After that, it was simply fish after fish. Talk about quantity. I've never fished a lake like this before that had so many bass in it. They were small, but were very willing to bite and had a lot of fight. Nearly all of them cleared the water. It's a pretty effective way for them to get the hook out cause nearly half of the fish that I hooked spit the lure out on a jump. Mixed in with the small fish were some decent ones. At some point, the girlfriend even got bored cause there were so many bass, she wanted something different. We drifted along the shoreline slowing picking out bass after bass and I see something I don't see everyday, a gar pike! It was quite small and got spooked away by my line. Definitely a cool fish... second one I've ever seen.

IMG_3414Small.jpg

IMG_3415Small.jpg

IMG_3416Small.jpg

IMG_3417Small.jpg

IMG_3418Small.jpg

IMG_3419Small.jpg

IMG_3420Small.jpg

IMG_3421Small.jpg

IMG_3422Small.jpg

IMG_3423Small.jpg

IMG_3426Small.jpg

We soon drift to this nice weedy area and my gf gets a decent bass on, I watch her reeling it in like a pro now, and I get a huge tug on mine. I look down to see this gator swimming away with my lure in it's mouth. Second pike of the day. This pike was one to remember though, because it had a bad eye and was severely torn up, sporting a deformed upper jaw as well.

IMG_3427Small-1.jpg

IMG_3430Small.jpg

IMG_3431Small.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

I'm thinking that I may get into some piking action here, so afterwards, I start casting a big xrap and big spinnerbaits on my baitcasting setup, but no takers :(.

We continue to land a lot more bass and watch the sun go down in all it's beautiful colours :)

IMG_3434Small.jpg

IMG_3435Small.jpg

I'm then reeling in my lure and I notice something on it that I can't shake off, so I bring it closer only to see that's it's a fish. I'm not 100% sure, but it appears to be some sort of goby. Perhaps the round goby? I've yet to actually catch one, and have only seen them in hand drawn pictures, but I let it dry up anyways.

IMG_3443Small.jpg

With the sun continuing to set, we knew that there would only be a couple more casts left. With the low light conditions, i'm hoping for some walleye action, but it was all just bass again.

IMG_3445Small.jpg

IMG_3447Small.jpg

IMG_3449Small.jpg

IMG_3450Small.jpg

IMG_3451Small.jpg

IMG_3453Small.jpg

In conclusion, I would have to say that West Lake is full of fish. They were on the smaller side, but there are definitely some decent ones in there. We must've boated about 50 bass for the few hours we were out there, and lost a whole lot more. After docking at the marina, I chatted with a really nice guy who was staying at a cottage there. He's fished the lake for 25 summers and is always impressed with it. The best fish he's pulled out of the lake were a 25 lb northern and a 6.5 lb lmb. I will definitely be returning next summer for sure.

Once again, thanks to those who left recommendations and advice in my earlier thread.

I'm really getting hooked onto this whole open water fishing thing. This was the first summer I've been out on a boat and after 3 trips (twice to Rice lake and once to West) of having crazy success, shore fishing just doesn't compare. It's a lot more expensive to rent, but it's so much more worth it. Anyone want to give away a free boat? :) I know that the gf really wants a canoe, so who knows, next summer I'll probably be on the water with my own.

Edited by frozen-fire

great report and photos. I used to fish east and west lake all the time. My yearly trip with the grandparents when I was a wee one we stayed at either Martin's Outlet Park or Log Cabin Point at the mouth of the outlet river. Both are great lakes, but a good haul from Toronto when the average fish usually aren't too big. Funny thing is, East lake has even better numbers than west, west tends to have the bigger fish (proximity to the big lake affects that I'm sure)

Great report Frozen-fire. Looks like you had a nice time and caught lots of fish.

I'm not a firm believer in the morning bite myself. I'm not really a morning person, but when I do drag my arse outta bed to fish early, I don't usually catch anything :rolleyes:

Good stuff.

Joey

Well I'm not to happy with West Lake right now, I whacked that pile of rocks early in the year.

The drive started getting noisy last couple times out so now I got it all apart with a chewed up drive gear and the pieces ruined the bearings.

Water is so low right now the guys are pulling the docks out.

Well I'm not to happy with West Lake right now, I whacked that pile of rocks early in the year.

The drive started getting noisy last couple times out so now I got it all apart with a chewed up drive gear and the pieces ruined the bearings.

Water is so low right now the guys are pulling the docks out.

It's true... the water is unbelievably low right now. I was warned many times by the people staying at the cottage and the owner. Heard last year was worse though.