Biggest species of fish in Ontario?

myst

Hi, I made a post earlier about the best fishing spots, but after reading about the monster sturgeon at Fraser River, I wanted to know if there is any type of fish like this in Ontario? I don't really care what the type of fish is, I just want the biggest and ones that give a lot of fight. Or do I have to go out to places like B.C.?

About 8 years ago was helping a bunch off locals on the Pickerel River(north of Parry Sound) collect spawn from Walleye in conjunction with MNR. In the net was a HUGE fish, when we finally got it out & released it, turned out to be a Sturgeon. The old boys estimated it at well over 75 lbs. Took 3 of us to wrestle it out of the net & back into the river. Man that was one big ugly fish!!

FT

If fishermen want really large fish for the fight in Ontario usually they go for Muskie. Lake Sturgeon have been caught in Lake Ontario measuring as big as 6'8". A few anglers target this fish but they are rare and far between. On the Fraser, which was getting a lot of pressure this year, you would fish for 8 hours and typically land one possibly two fish. Sometimes you would get more and the one day we only caught one between the four of us. I'd have to assume that the Lake Sturgeon population would not be so concentrated here in Ontario so your results may be worse. We also had a guide. I've gone out twice now to try and catch a Sturgeon in Ontario. I did catch this.

IMGP0463.jpg

Which put up a pretty good fight.

You may enjoy this link.

http://www.finefishing.com/aaspecies/records/whitestu.htm

Sturgeon fishing is closed all year in Lake Ontario. Every year there are reports of sturgeon being caught by steelheaders and walleye fishermen at the mouth of the Nottawasaga. Open seasons on Georgian Bay and Huron

Ed Pawskowski caught the Ontario record back in 1982 from the Nottowasaga - 168 lbs. He made the rounds at the Sportmans shows for a few years with Mepps (lure company).

Saw one fishing show on the Groundhog river out of Kapuskasing. Can't remember who though. The fish they caught where small - maybe 3 footers.

Guest Trophymuskie

Might be some in the Ottawa but don't expect to get some 10+ footers or even 8 footers. I've been told by the MNR sturgeon expert that we may get sturgeon up to 150 lbs in the O nothing like the Fraser river ones.

I know of someone who caught a 100+ pound one out of St-Clair.

Sturgeon

the great lakes have them but they are hard to find in big water

you need to fish rivers to have any real chance of getting one these days

there is a spring run into the notty and the other rivers off georgian bay ....but it's to shallow to hold many fish

I've seen a 6 footer caught on the French, near Noelville and also seen some pretty biggins caught on the St. Clair river. (Sturgeon) I have to agree with Deano though, your more likely to tie into a big Chinny and have your arms ripped out, then you are to connect with a big old Sturgeon.

HH

about 15-20 years ago my dad landed a 125+lb sturgeon on 17lb mono while fishing for bows in the nottawasaga river. i believe it was over 5'5....ill have to get the newspaper clipping out sometime and find out. i forget how long it fought for but he said it was awesome in the river. i think he also has pics of a bunch of big females in a pool. i guess he was up on a cliff so it was easy to see them.

i hope i can still find these pics...

Wow, thanks for all of the great replies! I have so much to learn.

So basically the most realistic chance of hooking a big fish with a lot of fight in Ontario is to go after muskies? Where would I go for the spots with the most of them? Not more than 4 or 5 hours from Ottawa?

Largest "lake" sturgeon caught on rod and reel was the 168lb'er. Largest netted in the early 1900's out of Lake Superior was a 310lb fish. It could be possible in the Ottawa River, St. Lawrence and Lake O up to Niagara to hook into other types of sturgeon such as the Atlantic sturgeon which is said to reach about 800lbs at 12-14 feet in length. There are 28 species of sturgeon world wide I believe with the Beluga being the largest reaching lengths of nearly 20 feet and weights of 2000lbs.

Don't hold your breath fishing them in this province though, they're not generally abundant. The Ogoki, Porcupine, Abitibi, North French, Albany, Harricanaw Rivers in the north as well as the Ottawa and Nottawasaga in the south are some rivers known to have these fish.

Muskie fishing would likely reap better rewards.

Wow, thanks for all of the great replies! I have so much to learn.

So basically the most realistic chance of hooking a big fish with a lot of fight in Ontario is to go after muskies? Where would I go for the spots with the most of them? Not more than 4 or 5 hours from Ottawa?

Well it's not like you can just go out on the river and catch a muskie. This is the fish of 10 thousand casts. I spent two afternoons last month tossing large pieces of lumber with no results.

Personally if you are starting out in fishing and you want a good scrap, I'd start out with carp. A good 20 pounder will give you more then you can handle and you will learn how your gear and tackle hold up. Sure the carp isn't the most glorified his but pound for pound it fights as well as any fish. Large catfish are also a blast.

Well it's not like you can just go out on the river and catch a muskie. This is the fish of 10 thousand casts. I spent two afternoons last month tossing large pieces of lumber with no results.

Personally if you are starting out in fishing and you want a good scrap, I'd start out with carp. A good 20 pounder will give you more then you can handle and you will learn how your gear and tackle hold up. Sure the carp isn't the most glorified his but pound for pound it fights as well as any fish. Large catfish are also a blast.

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm pretty much a fishing newbie. I've fished many time but mostly just bass and the occasional pike. I don't really know where to start. I really love fishing and my friends asked me what I wanted to do for my bachelor party and I said I'd rather go on a weekend fishing trip. But I want something completely different from the regular bass fishing that we do in this area. (White Lake, Mississipi River, etc.)

Anyone have any other suggestions? Like I said, I'm pretty much starting from scratch.