Jiffy Ice Augers - Good Or Bad

Deano

well I have had mine 20 plus years

I throw it in the corner

I never drain the gas

I have never changed the plug

and some how that thing just keeps going and going and going....

so I have had my moneys worth out of it 10 x over.....

I have heard great things about strikemaster or whatever it is called, but I will reserve Judgment on them till someone I know has abused it for 20 years

That's good to here Terry, maybe i'll open up the box now. LOL

Lew, got heavily into ATV"ing and Geocaching this summer, sold my camp, and only used my boat about 6 times. Just got signed up and hoping to do some hardwater fishing to make winter go by a little faster.

Edited by Deano

I have owned two, a model 30 with a 10 inch bit which I bought some 20 or so years ago, sold that to a bud 5 yrs. ago because we just did not need a 10 inch really, and all it needed was a slight tune-up which I had never ever had done to it. I then bought the Jiffy Lightning 8 inch from CTC, and use and abuse it regularly. I do always drain the gas in the spring, and fog the engine, replace the plug, spray the exterior of the drill with WD-40, and wipe the powerhead with an oil soaked rag, put it in its box that my bud built for me, but thats it. Takes very little time to do that in the spring, about a half hour at best.

First ice fishing trip, fill with gas, full choke, pull 3 times at most, and let it warm up on ilde for 1 minute, then drill like crazy.

Have heard the blade styles of the strikemaster cut better than the jiffy, but have never actually tried one myself to know for sure.

TJ, I've used a new Strikemaster and it was quicker than my Jiffy I'd say. Last year used a Husqavarna too. Thing was quiet, sleek, but after about 20 holes after just being taken out of the box, the guy bent the auger shaft on the thing. Not understanding this he kept drilling and burned the thing right out. It was insane.

I like my 10" Jiffy. I hope to sometime find someone whos motor has gone and I can pick up the 6-8 or 9 auger extension and add that to my collection. Had to buy the 10 last year for pulling up big pike and bending them into the holes in 1 foot depths.

I've got an Eskimo "Barracuda". Went to a meet and greet with my buddy Lurch (may he rest in peace) a few years back with some Fishontario guys. Brutally cold out on Miner's Bay. My auger would not run in the -30 temps. Who came to the rescue but somebody with a jiffy. For style points a like my barracuda, but to do it all over again the jiffy seems more reliable. Mi auger wouldn't start until the sun came over the horizon and heated it up a bit.

yes i have the #30 and she works great ive had it for about 13yrs and all ive ever done was change a plug and a little tune-up and she is ready it also is a 10" blade the only downfall is its a little on the heavy side if you have to carry it by hand for a ways,but its a long lasting unit and should drill you several million holes before you die,or pass her on to the next generation...lol...lol :thumbsup_anim: