Fishing Books

Jigger

Whats the best fishing book you've read? I just started the Mike Iaocanelli book and its pretty captivating. Also have some older books by Gord Duval and Roderick Haig-Brown that have some good stories in them.

Has anyone read Time on the Water? Where can I get a copy? I've always wanted to read this book.

Take it easy.

I have a bunch of fishing books, one of the ways I spend the winter waiting for softwater again.

I really like reading John Gierach stories, even though I'm not a fly-fisherman. Good sense of humour, doesn't take things too seriously, writes well, and he's had lots of interesting trips.

Tom McGuane and Nick Lyons are pretty good too.

Mike

"A River Never Sleeps"- Roderick Haig Brown

I got the chance to stay in his home on the banks of the Campbell R. a couple of years ago and found it enchanting. Should anyone be in that area on Vancouver Island, I would highly recommend it. It is like stepping back in time and is now a bed and breakfast and holds some conservation events.

outdoorguy61

For anyone who's ever troutfished with a fly, and maybe all other fishers, the absolute best fishing novel I've ever read is "Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood. As for anecdotal books, I've liked all of Gierach and Traver. Also, "Fly Fishin Fool" by James Babb, editor of Gray's Journal, is fantastic.....I still laugh recalling some of the pieces. Another one I read on fishing trips to get psyched up is Rizzo's "Secrets of a Muskie Guide".

I got the chance to stay in his home on the banks of the Campbell R. a couple of years ago and found it enchanting. Should anyone be in that area on Vancouver Island, I would highly recommend it. It is like stepping back in time and is now a bed and breakfast and holds some conservation events.

outdoorguy61

That's cool, what's the name of the B&B, and do they still have some of his things, e.g., books, fishing gear around?

Mike

A big fan of John Gierach.....nice short stories I can read over my lunch break to help take me out of the office for a bit!

dk

dk, I figured that you were also a fan of Gierach from your sig... :lol:

Mike

I picked up Dick Person's "Muskies on the Shield" as I fish those waters. There highlighting and stuff underlined on just about every page. Got the DVD to go with it. Very informative and I try to pick out specifics as I watch the DVD over and over. Seems I notice something a little different each time. I also keep the back issues of Musky Hunter and EA magazines for reference and refreshing.