Restoule Lake Report

I took a trip recently to Restoule Provincial Park with my fiance to do some camping and fishing. I was told it would be a tough lake to fish by a few people, including Tonyb who fished Restoule last year, so my expectations were not high. I was hopeful to get onto a good bite somewhere for something though. We went up for 5 nights and 4 days, and it rained on us every day, figures. I heard it didn't rain back here :angry: Anyway, we towed up my big Lund ProV and the 12' car topper to try a back lake down a logging road. Here we are up north.

Res1.jpg

A few pics around camp:

I took this panoramic stitch with my Kodak V570 to give you an idea of the private beach we had on the water just off our camp site, very nice

Res2.jpg

Setting up the fire just before dark... no fire ban due to all the rain.

Res3.jpg

The first morning we fished, we took out a member of OFC (007) we met up there. We fished for smallies in weed cover and rock and got into some fish, but they were all small fish under 1.5-pounds. Well, I heard there were big muskies in that system, and since I am a muskie nut, I felt compelled to start casting likely spots. Not even one follow the first day of fishing. Is Restoule really that tough fishing?

The next day I wanted to hit muskies hard. I pulled up to the first spot on the connecting Stormy Lake that looked like muskie water and started to cast a Mepps Musky Marabou bucktail, and into 10 minutes of casting, wham! I had a fish hit like a ton of bricks and go absolutely crazy on the surface thrashing around. I knew it was a good fish, so I yelled at Kristi to grab the net. It pulled drag off like nothing and fought harder than most muskies I have ever caught! I finally got her to the boat after a bunch of good runs Kristi did a great job netting the fish and assisting with the release tools and photo.

Res7.jpg

The modified Mepps Musky Marabou I got her on (I cut off the top hook bends, added a 5/0 Gamakatsu Magic Eye treble on the back with a grub)

Res8.jpg

That would be it for any other muskie action, despite my hard efforts.

I found this back bay full of largemouth cover and tried in the thick of it for largies with a flippin stick and a topwater Storm BuzznTail Shad and a Mouse. We got several fish to hit them, but every fish took us into the thick of the stalks and wrapped us around them. This stuff was frustrating as heck to fish and keep fish on, but a lot of fun to get the topwater hits.

The thick cover... how the heck do you largemouth guys deal with this stuff? I'm a smallie guy! Man I need to spend a little more time for largemouth in the slop.

Res4.jpg

Res5.jpg

We took the car topper to a small lake down a logging road the 3rd day to explore. What an adventure! It was rough terrain, but a pretty cool ride. The small boat at the make-shift launch:

Res9.jpg

The all-bass lake was larger than I originally thought, and deeper. It must have been 6 miles long, and over 60-feet deep at the far end. I marked fish and bait schools down 35- to 60-feet, and wondered what they were.

The bass fishing was very tough that day, and I was surprized. I tried everything for largemouth from deep to shallow with only one lost fish, and Kristi got a few little smallies. I then started to cast a new Storm Big Bass crankbait to an island and got the scrappiest 3-pound smallie I ever caught. Man are those northern smallies strong!

Res13.jpg

Res15.jpg

Some nice scenery shots from the lake we fished.. not one cottage on the lake or person!

Res10.jpg

Res6.jpg

Res11.jpg

Res12.jpg

All in all, despite the rain for most of the trip, we made the best of it. We had some good weather and fished when the rain let up, and sometimes in the rain. The countryside up there is really beautiful, and I would go back in a heartbeat.. besides, I heard there are REALLY big muskies up there :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks to TonyB for your input, and his brother-in-law Matt.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

sweet 'ski!! did you land that on Restoule?? looks like te he far end opposite end from the provincial park. Did you have a chance to check out stormy lake?? supposed to be good muskie fishing there, not that i had any luck, but last time i was there i saw musky canada trucks parked by the boat launch.

Very nice report Aaron. That camping spot looked ideal, definately something I wouldn't mind doing this summer. Boy, quite the dark head on that ski, and a big one at that. I hear ya on fishing the slop, I'm more of an open water, weed edge fisherman, but I too have difficulty fishing the thick stuff. Its too bad, cuz lots of big boys to be had in there. Good stuff.

Hey Addy79, actually it's funny you mention the somewhat connecting Stormy Lake, cause that is where I specifically caught the muskie (just edited the original post to include that). Didn't even see a muskie on Restoule Lake itself, and didn't see another muskie on Stormy or connecting Clear Lake either, despite some great-looking muskie spots. Restoule, Stormy and Clear are some awesome lakes that I could spend a lot more time on.

I didn't even fish for walleye once even though I had planned to.... after that early muskie I was on a muskie craze and spent very little time for even bass :rolleyes:

TB, That muskie was dark, and the pic made it look even darker. There are lakers and whitefish in those lakes, but I didn't fish for them. Too busy casting for 'skies.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Shirley

NICE!! Stormy lake has some awesome spots, beautiful lake, unfortunately, i only had luck with the walleye there. I was there late August about 3years back and a pretty rough cold front swept in for the entire week i was there.

I am now officially tempted to giver her another try!!

NICE!! Stormy lake has some awesome spots, beautiful lake, unfortunately, i only had luck with the walleye there. I was there late August about 3years back and a pretty rough cold front swept in for the entire week i was there.

I am now officially tempted to giver her another try!!

Crap, I can't believe I forgot to include that info Squid! She was 48-inches in length with no tail pinch at all.

Addy79, if you fish Stormy for 'skies, look for water with the tall cabbage or other tall aquatic vegetation from 6- to 10-feet of water leading to deep water, that is where you should find most of the big fish on most Canadian shield watersheds :thumbsup_anim: That muskie came from such a spot... but shhhh, don't tell anyone lol.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Great report Arron! That musky sure is one mean looking dude.

What size/type line do you use for casting for muskies? I just started casting for muskies this year in Lake St. Clair. Casting those big baits sure gives the arms a workout. :)

Zib, I use 80lb braided Tuf line on all my musky sticks. I had snap-offs with even 65lb braid, and the 80lb is perfect and easier to cast IMO. Try casting a deep-diving 10-inch bait all day lol.

Bigbuck, thanks, she is definitely a keeper :thumbsup_anim: We stayed dry for most of it though with the dining tent and heater, and took off fishing when the rain stopped. She did get pretty wet when my arms couldn't stop casting for muskies one evening :rolleyes: Damn defective arms lol.

Lew, orange and black is my confidence colours on ANY watershed for muskies for a reason :whistling: That modified marabou bait is my best confidence lure for casting by far, especially for big 'skies. I must cast that particular lure about 60 percent of the time. I also have a strong preference to cast a perch Bobbie bait, Poes Giant Jackpot, and Top Raider. No matter where I cast for 'skies, I always start off with 4 rods rigged with those 4 baits, then try differnet baits from there if no action. My other expensive 1000 muskie lures barely get wet unless I troll, which isn't often :blink:

Aaron