World Record Trout?

I'm with Bill on this. You know, some biggest grizzly bear ever recorded was a zoo bear. No choice but to be lazy, fed to be a fat spectacle. But if someone shot that bear Boone & Crocket wouldn't be jumping up and down to change the record books. That to me is what these farmed triploids kind of are. Fat, fast growing fish cattle fed fat to be slaughtered. Even the Blue Mesa lake trout of last year, that thing is a bottom dweller maybe not even triploid but it just looks up at stocked salmon and trout schools and is given the luxury of feeding on highest fat content forage which in nature doesn't really occur too often or in the same kind of way. So, bigger than average lake is sprinkled with high amounts of excess bait food just prime for predatory fish growth.

No, no, no! The world shouldn't reward the cheaters in the wild if it doesn't support human cheaters seeking records as well.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, BillM said:

Triploids.   I'll never consider those dirty things for records.

Ditto!

However I think all Chinook stocking should be triploids, bring it on..... lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, porkpie said:

Not a record.  Show me a natural that big.  It would be cool to catch though, just not a record.  

Personal record, Hell ya!  World record, Hell no!

• Like 2

no different than these guys catching double digit bass on stocked private ponds down south, I guess its cool and all, but at the same time...comes with an asterix. 

Heck Ive never caught a 6lb smallmouth yet, and I know perfectly well I could just go fish lake simcoe or Lake ontario and get one, but it would feel like cheating to me. Even my PB largemouth required me to go down south and get it. If I feel my personal records are tainted by the bodies of water im fishing, how in the heck should these things be classified as world records.  

Ben Milliken made an entire multi million dollar youtube career out of fishing stocked private ponds, but those 40lb sacks are tainted too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Ditto!

However I think all Chinook stocking should be triploids, bring it on..... lol

Now that would be a riot LOL!   50-60-70lb fish swimming around.  We'd probably have to stock bait as well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Now that would be a riot LOL!   50-60-70lb fish swimming around.  We'd probably have to stock bait as well!

I don't know about that, back late 80's a 35 pounder and 2 bits would get you a cup of coffee in the Star Derby, now you are a weekly winner if not the whole ball of wax, they already have the capability to grow larger than what we see today, yeah food is the problem

Once upon a time there were triploids in Lake Huron.

Back in the early 80's Bob Izumi and I were fishing the mouth of Colpoy Creek for early season rainbow and he told me that the ministry had taken Chinook eggs and raised the temperature to a certain degree for a certain length of time resulting in the fish having no desire to spawn, just eat and grow. They were expected to reach 90lbs. Unfortunately I never did hear of anyone catching one which really doesn't surprise me on such a large body of water, If someone had it would have been pure luck. 

Something else I found and still find very interesting also in the early 80s, I don't remember what division they were in but two guys with the ministry were flying in a Cessna over Lake Huron not far from shore about mid summer or a little later and reported a school of Chinook four miles long and two miles wide, they couldn't tell how deep the school was, it was heading north.

My personal best is 40lbs caught off the mouth of Oxenden Creek on a trip back to visit my mom and dad. I  can't find the pictures right now but Lew has seen them. Not bad I figure as the largest recorded Chinook from the Great Lakes (Michigan) is a little over 47lbs. 

My first cast I hooked a big chinook on a half wave, I set the hook and it came out of the water right away, of course I had my back into it and it threw the lure, with my help obviously it came flying back and broke six inches off the tip of my brand new Cabelas rod I had ordered special from the states for that trip. I lost 16 Chinook in 16 casts that evening. The following morning I finally started landing them. I caught several every day smallest being 16lbs, lots of 30 pounders and of course the 40 pounder my last morning there as I had to catch my flight back out west.

I caught the 40 pounder on a spawn bag. There was a large school of Chinook cruising back and forth at the mouth of the creek as the water was too low for them to go up and spawn. Upon seeing this big guy in the school for the third time I tossed the spawn bag a little ahead of him and he just opened up and inhaled it. 10 minutes shy of an hour and 200 yards down the shore in waste deep water with no waders I was finally able to tail him, I thought my arms were going to fall off. I caught him on cheap 6lb test Northern Fine it was called. (all I could afford with the new rod and reel and air fare) You could actually see the nicks in the line as he, after I hooked him buried himself in the school with the line scraping the other salmon. I still can't believe the line held.  He had five other hooks in it's mouth from other anglers he had broken free of and much bigger in diameter than 6lb test. More like butcher cord. For some time after that I would not spool my reels with any thing but LOL. Anyway I guess that's enough about that.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 2:28 PM, AKRISONER said:

Heck Ive never caught a 6lb smallmouth yet, and I know perfectly well I could just go fish lake simcoe or Lake ontario and get one, but it would feel like cheating to me. Even my PB largemouth required me to go down south and get it.

Personal smallie is 7.5, Simcoe. Largest bucket 5.2 on Couch.

I know perfectly well I could just go fish lake simcoe or Lake ontario and get one, but it would feel like cheating to me.

CHEATING?????????

Maybe you should enter the fall derbies and show how it,s done. BUT, NO CHEATING  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Personal smallie is 7.5, Simcoe. Largest bucket 5.2 on Couch.

I know perfectly well I could just go fish lake simcoe or Lake ontario and get one, but it would feel like cheating to me.

CHEATING?????????

Maybe you should enter the fall derbies and show how it,s done. BUT, NO CHEATING  LOL

It just doesn’t have the same impact…no different than the guys down south all of their pb’s are double digits. 

I think it’s more about you want your PB to be on your home body of water. I want a 6 out of Georgian bay just because I’ve been fishing here 15 years and have yet to catch one. Been so close so many times too.

• Like 1