Live scope glasses

One of the competitors from the BassMaster Elite tournament in Texas this weekend. 4 units on the dash, and another 3 up on the bow...Looks like he has more screens than NASA Mission Control in Houston...

FB_IMG_1709526714520.jpg

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Terry said:

I can see why they would have 3 up front but 4 at the console makes no sense to me

i guess the 4th one could be for smart gauges but why 

I'm assuming:

LiveScope left, 2-D down, chart/map, LiveScope right

I like to take my grandkids out fishing to get them away from video games. I'm just afraid the next generation is going to turn fishing into something that's not the experience we grew up with. The art and science of learning to "pattern fish" is becoming irrelevant. Seems to me it was a lot more fun when times were simpler..

15p1.jpg

• Like 1

At times a agree, when I go to a fly-in or lodge I do t look at the maps of where to fish as half the fun is figuring out where they are , after a cot of days I check the map to see how close I was to there map

i can’t see them looking a 2 livescope from the helm. The 4th one could be side scan 

but when searching for fish I am at the front of the boat ,only at the helm searching for structure 

10 minutes ago, Terry said:

At times a agree, when I go to a fly-in or lodge I do t look at the maps of where to fish as half the fun is figuring out where they are , after a cot of days I check the map to see how close I was to there map

i can’t see them looking a 2 livescope from the helm. The 4th one could be side scan 

but when searching for fish I am at the front of the boat ,only at the helm searching for structure 

One of the reasons I like flats fishing down south...electronics are useless in 2 ft of water..

566603125.jpg

5 hours ago, Terry said:

I can see why they would have 3 up front but 4 at the console makes no sense to me

i guess the 4th one could be for smart gauges but why 

Its how guys are using livescope for side imaging now. Essentially side and down imaging are going the way of the dinosaur at the highest levels of tournament fishing.

Its better to mount three livescope transducers on the rear of the boat to provide a live image left right and forward. This gives you a live version of the left right and down views you are accustomed to seeing. Guys like Chris Johnston have made the switch and are running livescope XR (extra range) on their boats now to graph around with.

Im a livescoper through and through, ive almost "grown up with it" its an awesome tool for sure, but ill tell you right now, its not, see fish catch fish, nor is it some kind of magical fishing tool. Do I catch more fish because of it? absolutely, is there a learning curve? Most certainly. Ive been fishing tournaments with it for 3 years now and this past season I would say I finally really started dialing it in. 

But without the trolling motor set up, and electronics set up I have, you arent going to livescope as effectively as me. The glasses thing...i dont really see any point in it Its gimmicky. I dont actually know what the value is besides looking neat and techy.

(Bill you still gotta come jig up some laketrout with me some time). The livescope makes for some really really productive days, and Truthfully there may be no better hookset feeling than ripping a vibrato back to the boat and having a laktrout smoke it in 60fow. The rod nearly gets ripped out of your hands!

Edited by AKRISONER

For structures at a good speed side image is easier to watch then livescope

livescope has a very narrow right to left beam and you would have to be constantly watching all at once and moving them , livescope has no history on screen but side image does making it easier to find structure 

it is easier to put a waypoint on structure from side imaging then  Go up front and fine 

now if they are using perspective mode and are 15 ft of water or under that works well for finding structure and fish 

I very much understand the latest equipment 

and if some are doing it the way you say they are wasting time 

• Like 1

Pretty crazy stuff.

Side imaging is still very useful as a tool and provides a lot that Livescope can't. Having the historical data with side scan where you can drop waypoints around structure is useful... and then you can scope the crap out of it to find fish.

I'm a tech guy so i like all this stuff... but from a cost perspective.... yikes. I went with the original PS-22 Panoptix transducer... 1/3 the price, less power consumption, no black box. Still a huge upgrade from a jigging application perspective... forward vu is obviously lacking in comparison to LS but is still useable. 

Its really just a gateway setup lol. 

• Like 1

Yes I got the ps22 the year it can out and it was wonderful, I heard about livescope lvs 32 and was on the list to get it as soon as it came out and it was wonderful X2 then I saw the lvs 34 could be used in deeper water so I got it before the next winter 

I fished in bass tourneys for 11 years , long before all the good tec  was available but have always been on top of the latest stuff 

I get people texting or calling me all time on the phone to walk them through problems with their fishing tec even makes I don’t own, I can usually track down the problem 

So I do have some idea what I am talking about too

• Like 1

I know that some of the Musky tourneys have banned FFS, and it seems some of the Bass competitions have too..

I'm not sure where, or even if, you draw the line on the use of technology. Interesting times.

FB_IMG_1709617616903.jpg

• Haha 1

Terry, the new units allow you to pause on screen using the livescope.

absolutely the cost is astronomical, I mean the typical electronics set up on a elite series boat is now $40,000+

the difference is, if you’re graphing, a livexxope is going to not only see the structure but much more obviously pic up the fish too. 

Kyle welcher was actually one of the first guys to implement this type of system on his boat for his time spent idling graphing. He had a live scope pole mounted for driving by structure. He made a YouTube video last year showing how he was using it. What that’s morphed into now is the double livescope mounted on guys jackplates.

and as you can imagine, now with lots of guys running 3+ graphs at the console, they can still run a screen with side, down and 2 d while also using livescope. 

is all of this stuff insane…ya probably, but it’s also the highest level of tournament fishing. Either way tournament bass fishing is and always will be an arms race. The “old school tournament” thing is actually hilarious.

”old school” with no horsepower restrictions, no limits on any electronics except live imaging, old school but no limit on boat size, etc etc, all this sounds like is a tournament series where a bunch of old crusty cry babies in white new balances with $150,000 bass boats can feel good about donating their money once again when they lose because at least some young guy that’s better than him won it “old school” good grief.

Edited by AKRISONER

I happen to have the latest equipment 

and I understand how it works 

and I know what you are saying it impractical 

have you ever made a cast and watched it hit the water and follow it back to the boat with livescope 

if you turn it even a small bit you lose your bait because of of the small angle of the signal 

hell , even icefishing  in down mode if you turn the transducer you can lose your jigs because of the narrow beam  you are looking at so small of an area and missing much of the detail

you need to see 

1 hour ago, Terry said:

I happen to have the latest equipment 

and I understand how it works 

and I know what you are saying it impractical 

have you ever made a cast and watched it hit the water and follow it back to the boat with livescope 

if you turn it even a small bit you lose your bait because of of the small angle of the signal 

hell , even icefishing  in down mode if you turn the transducer you can lose your jigs because of the narrow beam  you are looking at so small of an area and missing much of the detail

you need to see 

we now regularly fish in the tent with just the one screen. Its more practical, the 10 inch screen is plenty easy to see and the only trick is adjusting the cone so that you can pick up both jigs.

What you describe about the fine tuning to see your bait is so true...and I think thats lost on a lot of people when they complain about FFS. They think its just this easy thing to be able to see your bait and watch the fish eat it. 

Have I watched fish eat by bait on livescope? ya for sure...is this the norm? Absolutely not. I find it very difficult to pick up by bait through an entire cast and I have a Garmin Force that gives me complete control with my foot to adjust where I am looking in the water, but wind and waves completely throw that out of the question. If you are able to shallow water anchor down, then it makes the scoping much easier, but I personally dont have talons or raptors so if theres waves, good luck following my bait. 

My personal technique that I really started dialing in last season was simply marking fish and getting good enough to understand the size of the fish I was looking at. From there I positioned my boat to actually stay the hell away from the things. Dial in with the beam where exactly I thought that fish was in relation to the boat and then making good casts into where I was translating the strike zone to be. Yes when it was calm or things lined up right I did watch some fish eat my baits...notably a 4lber I caught on tri lakes during an NGTA clubby that I won last summer, I watched that big fish storm off a piece of cover to eat a drop shot. But for the most part ive simply learned to use it to make really accurate casts and keep my boat the hell away from the fish. 

The other often not talked about thing I use the scope for, is dialing in crank baits..same NGTA on tri lakes, was on a weed bed that had nice deep weeds with a solid  4-5 feet of clean water above them. Put on the right crankbait and watched it on the scope to make sure I was really getting into the weeds but not fouling every cast...sure enough we ended up catching 2 keepers throwing those cranks. No livescoping the actual fish, just adjusting to the structure I was seeing appropriately.

Livescope was eye opening to me regarding the effect a boat and electronics pinging has on fish. Especially in our gin clear lakes. Lake couchiching in October last year, another NGTA clubby, I couldnt believe I was spooking smallmouth that were 30 feet down 60 feet off of my boat. I swear id see them on the livescope and as soon as that beam hit them they took the hell off.

Edited by AKRISONER

I would like to begin by saying that I am not opposed to technology nor the implementation or application of new and better technology.
I have all the tech on my boat and I know how it works. I have also used it enough to be fairly proficient at using it and can attest to it's effectiveness in the right conditions and circumstances. 

There is no question that this technology is effective and that it can provide a significant advantage over not having it. It has to be noted that no matter what the technology is learning it, understanding it, and knowing how to use it are essential or it is just a decoration on your boat.
The fact is: That a
nglers using and learning this new technology, are able to be very successful, without the skills, experience, and knowledge that the  traditional or "Old School" anglers have, and have worked hard to acquire.
As a result there are many skilled anglers that are no longer as competitive when fishing against the ones that have the technology.
I believe that In tournament fishing this the main reason why so many old school anglers are turned against the use of this technology more than anything. 
The other factor leading the opposition of this tech in tournaments would be the high cost of rigging a tournament boat with it. 
As good as this new technology is, it is not effective all of the time resulting in some disappointed anglers that rely only on forward-facing sonar and do not have any other skills to catch fish. I have actually witnessed tournament participants load their boats and go home part way through the day because forward facing sonar fishing was not working for them and they didn't have a plan B.

There have always been advancements in the technology used in fishing. All the best fishing reels that are available today benefit from advanced engineering, high tech, light weight materials and better quality. The same holds true for fishing rods, fishing lines, lures and baits, fish attractants, etc. Items like trolling motors with brushless electric motors and spot lock anchoring functions, lithium boat batteries, and GPS mapping systems to mention a few. None of these advancements have had as much of an impact as forward-facing sonar when it comes to success locating and catching fish. It actually changes completely the way you can catch fish.
It is 
my opinion that this removes a piece of the challenge. Scouting out a body of water, the fun of figuring out the structure, and coming up with a pattern to catch fish. For me it's that exploring and experimenting based on what I have learned and experienced that is the most fun and rewarding when fishing. 
For now I will keep the equipment on my boat but it will soon be obsolete and then I will probably not reinvest another small fortune in the newer, better, latest gear and maybe just go back to "Old School"

This is probably the most important thing:

On 3/4/2024 at 9:02 AM, CrowMan said:

I like to take my grandkids out fishing to get them away from video games. I'm just afraid the next generation is going to turn fishing into something that's not the experience we grew up with. The art and science of learning to "pattern fish" is becoming irrelevant. Seems to me it was a lot more fun when times were simpler..

The question we should all be concerned about is:
Technology has already diminished traditional fishing skills, when does the technology completely erase the pleasure one can get from this hobby and sport?

Edited by RandyLinden

Of course 

We use one livescope in a shack too I would think most people do.  My point was the narrow beam and finding the position so you can see all jigs

And again it was me that mentioned  following baits from when it it the water back to the boat and again the point was the narrow beam to follow it back  I also troll and watch my bait and the fish behind me as long as your going fairly straight it’s easy to do but if you are following a contour it’s too much work to keep turn the transducer to stay on the lure 

. It’s amazing how many fish follow and swipe at your lure and you never know without a camera or livescope

and yes I  believe some days all types sonar will spook the fish and you need just turn stuff off 

Your right , you still need  fishing skills to catch , but I will admit my sonar died on me this winter and I packed up and went home 

but I’m a technical nut always have been and always will be. Sometimes I quit fishing and just watch the fishes behaviour on the scope or the camera. 
I have even bent the hook so I could watch perch reaction without having to bring them up and unhook them 

2 hours ago, RandyLinden said:

I would like to begin by saying that I am not opposed to technology nor the implementation or application of new and better technology.

Well said Randy.

I also think there needs to be a distinction made between different types of anglers and what they want to achieve from a day of "fishing".

Obviously a tournament angler's goal is to put as many big fish in the boat as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have no problem with using whatever technology it takes to accomplish this...if that's what it's all about.

For the weekend warrior, cottager, or casual angler going out with his kids or buddies that may not necessarily be the goal. There are other elements of "fishing" that make the experience "recreational" for folks just going out for "a day on the water". For a lot of anglers it's the mental chess game..."where are the fish today based on the conditions on this particular lake". That may also mean doing nothing else but just wanting to flip shorelines and docks...or toss frogs in the pads..or rip jig in the thick cabbage...because that's what they want to get a kick out of that day.. Even though it may not be the most productive pattern .. and they may be missing a lot of fish that are perhaps on structure or suspended offshore that could be located with FFS. It's not always about the most and biggest fish, sometimes it's "how" you're fishing that makes it a great day. 

I think for most people (non-tournament anglers) for now, that $40k may be better spent on something else. And the time it takes to master it could also be used more effectively learning something else. Obviously that equation may change as the price inevitably comes down and the technology becomes more "user friendly". I just think that people shouldn't feel that they're missing out by not having the "latest and greatest".

I will say as a consumer/viewer of pro tournaments...FFS has definitely degraded the experience and entertainment value. Watching a bunch of guys head down looking for blobs on their screen and then casting to them, doesn't exactly make for compelling TV viewing. The "good ol days" of watching  guys blindly fishing competing "patterns" was a lot more intriguing and fun to watch.

Some of the sponsors/mfgr's may want to be careful of what they wish for...hence the advent of "Old School" tourneys.

Edited by CrowMan

I was real heavy into musky fishing for around 45 years and for the most part kept it old school but that was just my preference. I always did well and would often boat 75 to 100 fish a year with 2001 being my best year with 115 fish in the boat.

I never even had a FF until 1999 and then I put a GPS at the helm to watch for the depths I wanted and to track my drifts and keep track of sunrise/sunsets. I had a small 5" FF at the helm and another at the bow and that was it but they were more for finding weeds than anything else. Never used them for looking for fish. The vast majority of my fishing was casting to reeds or weeds and rock piles and some trolling when I needed a break from tossing big baits. One of my favorite methods was night fishing in total darkness with no electronics at all. Just a headlamp to get my bearings once in awhile then back to the darkness and the light again to release the fish. To me, that was totally pitting myself against the fish with no outside help.

To me that's what fishing is all about, trying to think like a fish and figure where they are and what they want to eat. 

I've got nothing against the guy that has a boat load of TV screens that he stares at all day and more power to him but to my mind that's not fishing when you use electronics to do all your thinking, but again, it's just my preference.

Edited by lew
  • Like 1