Learning to use a baitcaster

evster

So today was my first attempt at using a baitcaster and it actually went better than expected. I was able to make casts with minimal backlash (although there was some). My problem was that when I am trying to cast straight out in front of me the weight ends up going about 90 degrees left and 45 degrees straight down. I tried releasing the spool earlier in my swing, loosening the spool knob thingy but nothing seemed to work. I had the spool knob set so that when I hold the rod out in front of me the weight drops and the spool makes about one turn after it hits the ground. Anybody have any idea whats going on here? I have 8 pound test mono spooled up right now, casting with my right arm, and the reel has a centrifugal breaking system which is fully engaged right now.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong? Might help speed up my learning process :blush:

Thanks!

Evan

i'm also new to this baitcaster thing and seem to have a similar problem ... i can cast under hand (casting straight out or to my right) with some accuracy and without problem but when i try doing backhand (casting to my left) it just doesn't go where i want it to...

i'm waiting for the replies as well ... great thread!

I never really figured out how to cast completely overhand but instead mastered (I use that term loosely) a side arm cast. I find it more natural and comfortable when using spincasting rods as well, or even throwing baseballs. I don't think it really hinders you unless your fishing in really tight quarters perhaps. On the plus side overhanging trees and branches are less of a problem. I figure just cast however is comfortable. Just my two cents......which in retrospect is pretty worthless.

If its backlashing at the beginning of the cast adjust the centrifical brakes, if its backlashing at the end of the cast adjust the knob on the outside. For getting started I'd put 2 or 3 of the centrefical brakes on, I find that you rarely need all of them on, or all of them off. Well this is what i've noticed with my shimano baicasters. Use a 3/8 oz jig and practice practice practice.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Hey Evster, glad to see you're out there practicing already!! :D

The knobby thing should be adjusted so that when you open the bail, the plug just starts to move with a little coaxing. It sounds like you've got it way too loose. I would also start with the magnets dialed up fairly high until you get used to it. As someone else suggested, you may want to start by throwing it sidearm until you build up your confidence.

One thing I didn't mention yesterday was that the biggest way you will get into trouble with backlashes (professional over runs) is when you try to force it by trying to cast too hard. Nice and easy does it.

Good Luck and it was great meeting you.

BPSBASSMAN,

It was great meeting you to, and thanks for the sale :thumbsup_anim:, by the way I grabbed one of those cheaper rods just to have something and it ended up being on sale to! So I figure for the price I ended up with a decent combo.

Anyway, hopefully i'll get out practicing tommorow as long as its not raining and I am not fishing. I think I didn't have enough weight on it and also I think I was expecting longer casts right away and so I might have been forcing it a bit and thats why it was taking off to my left. I'm going to work on casting about 5 yards, then once I can do that consistently start trying for farther distances.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm hoping to get this "mastered" (by that I mean useable) before the end of the summer if I get enough practice time.

Cast the way you are comfortable at first, then try the "fancy" stuff later.

Tip - After casting the maximum distance you can reelin in 2-3 ft, put a piece of tape across the spool and up on the sides of the reel so as not to hinder the reeling action. Reel the line over the tape and cast away back lash free, at least up to the point you put the tape on. It will not hinder your fishing at all.

as many have already said, practice is the key. i personally like using fireline on my baitcasters mainly because it is relatively easy to get the birds nest out when they come along. i have been using baitcasters for several years and will still get one or two every now and then especially when trying to over cast lighter lures. also start practicing with a heavy weight and the magnetic drag set high, and then work your way down. once you get the hang of it you will love it. good luck.

jason

use a thicker line on a baitcaster 12+lb mono or 30+ braid. I find it helps and its easier to pick out the birdsnests. also, start with heavier lures. other than that, practise practise like the others have said.

Lots of good tips all around. Make sure you're also using a bait that's right for your baitcaster. Various baitcasters are designed with different intended purposes. An Abu 4500 won't throw 1/8oz jigs very well, just as a Daiwa Sol will struggle with a 3 oz swimbait. You'll hear different opinions on the spool tension settings too. Personally, I adjust it so it's just tight enough to prevent lateral movement of the spool then let the brakes (centrifugal, magnetic, etc) do the rest.

Ben_Daniels is correct in his reply for adjustment.

Something to keep in mind but it's difficult to explain...

Unadjusted, your spool is actually pushing line out unlike a spinning reel. When you make your cast, the weight of the lure initiates spool movement but the lure is already slowing down by the time your arm reaches full extension. The finely balanced spool takes much longer to slow down and thus pushes line out before the lure can take up the slack.

Ultimately, you want the spool to slow down at the same pace as the lure. If you find a method of casting in which you are consistant, it will be easier to make your adjustments. For me, it's left hand, overhead. If I switch to right hand, side arm I will have to re-adjust even when throwing the same lure.

The pro's can easily compensate with thier arm action and cast a mile backhanded through thier legs without re-adjusting!

-Brian

Just keep in mind that a baitcaster is nothing more than a tool, not unlike a hammer, skill saw, or whatever else you use for whatever it is your doing.

Folks seem to be intimidated by them, when in reality, their extremely easy to use and just take a bit of practice, and once you get the hang of it, you'll be casting perfectly without even thinking about it. Once you,ve mastered it, you won't even need to make adjustments to the settings when you change baits, you'll be doing it all with your thumb.

Just follow the advice you've received here, start slow and gradually work your way up and you'll be casting without problems by the weekend. ;)

Why is it when you make knots they can fail but a baitcaster can tie a knot with eazzzzz. Since working with the bait caster l have gotten alot better at untieing knots. Well its cheaper than cutting off 20 ft of line. I'm not sure if l like OFC for all the help from everyone or to find out that alot of us are in the same boat. To everyone that helps thankyou and for us that needs the info remember to pass it on, Peace Ken :D:D

Edited by bowshep

Thought I would give an update. After about fifteen minutes tonight my casting has become much more respectable but not nearly fishable yet :whistling:. I think the key was adding more weight, I think I was only using 1/8oz. thinking it was 1/4, so i tied on 4 1/8 oz weights and that straightened the casts out. Also, slow and steady is key. I found with 4 of 6 breaks turned on my cast would go just as far if I tossed it nice and easy as it would if i tried to wing it out there. Accuracy is still another question though, unless you are ok with throwing casts in a 10 foot radius <_<. As usual I got ahead of myself and thought "i should try taking all the breaking off and see what happens", man that cast flew far, and man I am going to have a long night getting this knot out!

So I think for someone just begging the key is make sure you have enough weight, and dont try to heave it because you most likely wont gain anything anyways. And after that, then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE as I intend on doing.

Oh! and one more thing. Dont use "Spider Line" (not Spider Wire), it snapped on a cast and I lost my weights.

I'll continue updated this thread with my progress.

Keep at it and you'll be getting good distance and accuracy too.

One more tip, spool up your baitcaster with some cheap mono line until you are confident in your casting, it'll save you money when you get the birdsnests that can't be untangled and you have to cut the knot out.

Mike