Bilge pump winterizing

b_cdot

Hey guys. Cold weather on it way the next few nights. I want to flush some antifreeze through livewll tonight. Does anyone do this with their bilge? If so whats the easiest way to do it? I have a lund pro v and it takes a lot of water in the hull to kick on the bilge. I dont want to buy a bunch afreeze to fill up the bottom of the hull. Any ideas or do i even need to do it.

Pull the plug and let her drain. Then I will run the bilge dry for a few minutes in case some water is still in the pump. Same for live wells. I leave the plug out during the winter, I have seen plenty of moisture build up over the winter. I wouldn't believe it until I saw it in the spring when I pulled the plug and I know that boat was put away dry as a bone. I tape a piece of screen over the drain to keep Meeses from invading.

Question, how do you get antifreeze into the livewell inlet? I pour some into the drains until they are full.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yup ive got it jacked and plug is out. Im just wondering if moisture build up in the pump itself can be damaged? Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like its pretty common that nothing is done. Im wanting to do some of my own winterizing this year to save some money. My boat mechanic never flushed the bilge out in the past but always did the livewells. The boat was bought used and not winterized correctly and one of my livewell connections cracked. Dealer said it was likely ice that caused the damage

Hold the shopVac hose tight around the outlets and suck em dry, also works on marine air conditioners. This methods also can be used to suck the pink antifreeze through live well outlets, bilge pumps etc.

I love that idea. Winterizing the boat tomorrow, I'm going to do that too, thanks. I have winterizing OCD. Dryer sheets, moth balls and Irish Spring soap in every nook and cranny. I know guys that pull it out of the water, pull the plug, tilt the outdrive or OB down to drain the water and that's it. No fogging, no gas treatment no nothing including leaving the battery in all winter. I'm on a meager budget plus I wouldn't sleep all winter.

The saddest day of the year for me without going to a funeral. It was too nice today to do it. Should have gone Smallmouth fishing here on Erie, water was like glass.

Never did anything to my Lunds bilge pump

For live wells I unscrew the intake screen at the back and using a funnel with flexible corrugated tube attached to fill intake with RV antifreeze

First close valve in rear well and opening front well valve. Pump until pink liquid comes into from well. Then close front and open back. Pump. Takes about 2 litres of antifreeze. Open all doors to ventilate. Unhook starter battery after charging fully. Deep cycles stay connected and get charged monthly for a few minutes.

Then kiss her good night.

Never did anything to my Lunds bilge pump

For live wells I unscrew the intake screen at the back and using a funnel with flexible corrugated tube attached to fill intake with RV antifreeze

First close valve in rear well and opening front well valve. Pump until pink liquid comes into from well. Then close front and open back. Pump. Takes about 2 litres of antifreeze. Open all doors to ventilate. Unhook starter battery after charging fully. Deep cycles stay connected and get charged monthly for a few minutes.

Then kiss her good night.

I just did the livewell flush and flushed the recirc. Cant believe i use to pay to have it done. I opened all valves and it pumped up to the front and back no problem. I only used about 2-3 litres. I also leave batteries in and plug in to charge once a month. I give them a good check (fluid levels, hygrometer and voltage) before i put it away. Not exactly putting it away yet just wanted to flush livewells with the upcoming temps

I love that idea. Winterizing the boat tomorrow, I'm going to do that too, thanks. I have winterizing OCD. Dryer sheets, moth balls and Irish Spring soap in every nook and cranny. I know guys that pull it out of the water, pull the plug, tilt the outdrive or OB down to drain the water and that's it. No fogging, no gas treatment no nothing including leaving the battery in all winter. I'm on a meager budget plus I wouldn't sleep all winter.The saddest day of the year for me without going to a funeral. It was too nice today to do it. Should have gone Smallmouth fishing here on Erie, water was like glass.

Anyone have proof that the dryer sheets work? Ive been told the same thing for years... it would be a good mythbusters episode

Hold the shopVac hose tight around the outlets and suck em dry, also works on marine air conditioners. This methods also can be used to suck the pink antifreeze through live well outlets, bilge pumps etc.

Call me a newb if ya want but is it possible to damage the bilge pump by doing this?

I use the dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap to get all the fish smell out of the boat after slaying them all season! I don't know if it works all I know is I haven't had any meeses and the boat smells nice like a Spring Mornin'.

Getting two birds stoned at once... i like it

Call me a newb if ya want but is it possible to damage the bilge pump by doing this?

I can't see how any damage could be done to the pump running air through it, actually may help getting bilge scum out. That may be a good time to pour some bilge cleaner in it. Running it dry won't harm it either, not mine at least. I accidentally engaged the manual switch about 6 years ago and it ran until the battery died, that had to be a very long time and no damage to the pump.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I am always amused at this time of year with all these winterization procedures that people have. Hey if that's what gets you off go for it but 99% of these procedures are not necessary.

This is what has worked for me during the last 33 years of owning a boat with a bilge pump and livewells.

Crank the trailer all the way up so any water in the boat drains back towards the transom.

Turn on the bilge pump and livewell pump so if any water is present it pumps out. Leave boat like this for a few day and turn pumps on once more. If no water present you are done with winterizing your bilge and livewell pumps. If water is still present repeat this until now is pumped out.

Now this is the difficult part and you might want to pay someone to do this. Get some moth balls and put them in various locations within the boat and MOTOR. However, trying to catch moths and dissecting off their balls can be challenging.

Moths do have rather large testicles for such a small insect. 1st laugh of the day Mr. G, thanks.

There will be as many different winterizing procedures as there are boats out there. I too paid to winterize the boat before I watched many videos on YouTube, even marine dealers procedures vary from one to another.

The only thing you have to remember is when one of those thru hull live well pumps, or power washer pump inlets breaks off inside the transom, your boat sinks as your bilge pump isn't going to keep up.

Temagami marine has about 200 boats with thru hull pumps stored there by my estimation, only 2 sunk last year on their first night tied to customers docks. Do you want to be in the 1%??

$3.00 worth of antifreeze and 20 minutes of your time. Just did mine this morning and then capped the intakes ready for Musky fishing.... if I can ever find the time to get out there.

Oh.. and b_cdot, if you hull is dry your bilge pump most likely is too as it will drain itself into the hull of the boat. It's as simple as blowing hard into the outlet on the side of the boat to make sure.

Edited by irishfield

I am always amused at this time of year with all these winterization procedures that people have. Hey if that's what gets you off go for it but 99% of these procedures are not necessary.

quote]

I agree Mister G, but like I said all the little things helps me sleep at night in the winter.

I'm with Irish..I buy one gallon of RV antifreeze and pour some into each livewell and some into the bilge; then spin the pumps for a couple seconds. The whole process takes minutes and I never worry "did I get all the water out?". There's just too much in the way of batteries, wiring and onboard charging to have to find a cracked pipe or pump to not use antifreeze. Just my opinion though.

I'm with Irish..I buy one gallon of RV antifreeze and pour some into each livewell and some into the bilge; then spin the pumps for a couple seconds. The whole process takes minutes and I never worry "did I get all the water out?". There's just too much in the way of batteries, wiring and onboard charging to have to find a cracked pipe or pump to not use antifreeze. Just my opinion though.

Agreed but how do you get the antifreeze throughout the livewell plumbing if you dont pump from the intake at the back?