Wide ~16.5 - 17ft Boat?

Sterling

Title, looking for recommendations on a wide aluminum boat for trolling medium to large sized lakes. I like a wide transom boat as this allows room to negotiate riggers etc.

Reason being my boat has been destroyed and I'm shopping for a replacement (lol).

Edit for more details:

- Would prefer wide gunwales.

- I generally fish with 1 or 2 people.

Edited by Sterling

Maybe a little more information would help. Budget, new or pre-owned, full console and top, power etc? Sometimes this topic is a little like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. You will get lots of opinions. Go out and look at many, reduce it down to a few based on your personal criteria and then do a little more research/ask questions to narrow it down to one or two.

Good luck, John

Edited by John

This ^^^^

Plus - Deadrise is also something to consider. Sure, width is indicative with stability but in bigger water, having a high Deadrise (deep V) will be just as important. Take a bass boat for example. Plenty wide but a nightmare in big waves.

Regarding wide gunwales, absolutely - especially with riggers but these come at a cost.

Without getting into to much detail, it looks like you should have a look at the Lund impact 1775 or larger. I recall taking a 1875 for a test run and was very impressed with the layout and stability.

I ran one of these for over 20 years, except I had an 90 V4 Johnson and a 9.9 Rude on the back trolling the Big O for salmonoides and Erie for eyes with riggers and multiple rodholders for other lines, as a strictly troller I'd prefer this layout to the dual console fishing boats. The front deck was only used for a big cooler and the front seat socket for a planer board mast and a bimini. It had good interior depth and ran rougher water well for a tinner.

http://centerpointeservice.com/boats-for-sale/1983-sylvan-18ft-center-console-pewaukee-wisconsin-5792742/?print=1&full=1

Tiller or side console?

Side console for sure. The fish hawk is nice, thanks for that.

Maybe a little more information would help. Budget, new or pre-owned, full console and top, power etc? Sometimes this topic is a little like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. You will get lots of opinions. Go out and look at many, reduce it down to a few based on your personal criteria and then do a little more research/ask questions to narrow it down to one or two.

Good luck, John

I'd go up to 20-22k, pre-owned. Too much premium on new boats.

This ^^^^

Plus - Deadrise is also something to consider. Sure, width is indicative with stability but in bigger water, having a high Deadrise (deep V) will be just as important. Take a bass boat for example. Plenty wide but a nightmare in big waves.

Regarding wide gunwales, absolutely - especially with riggers but these come at a cost.

Without getting into to much detail, it looks like you should have a look at the Lund impact 1775 or larger. I recall taking a 1875 for a test run and was very impressed with the layout and stability.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Sterling, they make that boat in a side console model, as I recall Lew from the board had one. Every boat mfg probably makes a similar boat, I had a Smokercraft 17 pro angler, but it was a 1987 and only 73 inches wide, that extra foot plus wider on newer boats of the same style makes a huge difference.

When I was looking for a boat I found Smoker Craft had some very wide models...but they lacked in other details. I ended up buying an Alumacraft...not as wide but far more sturdy. Neighbour of mine bought the Smoker craft I had considered and he is not overly pleased with how it handles

West coast style boats with forward consoles and a big dance floor at the back tickle my fancy for trolling with lots of toys on the transom, don't see these Lunds and Smokers here much but I like :Gonefishing:

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1800-sport-angler/

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/2017/americanangler

ooohhh, those Smokercrafts look niiice. I know where my lottomax winnings are going. when I win lol