Mid-life crisis motorcycle advice. NF

captpierre

Always been afraid of motorcycles.

Thanks.

Before I read a single post I can tell you that you aren't a candidate to ride, let alone with someone behind you. I have been told one can never be too old to do something or learn new tricks, not always, sometimes 58 is old and too old to learn new tricks. Comparing riding a bicycle and riding a bike is like saying I should be able to fly a plane because I know how to drive a car.

A good plan would be to take the safety course which will allow you to get your m1 and see how you like it and if your capable all without having to buy a bike or get insurance. If you buy one check insurance premiums on that model before buying it. I started riding last summer with 3 yrs previous experience but had not rode since I was 40 and am 57 now and love it, run to work and all over on it. You risk your like waking up, everything in degrees but if you dress for a fall you are much more likely to walk away.

So you Guys have got me scared off.

Didn't know insurance would be that much.

Plus leathers, safety course etc.

Never mind the obvious risk of injury.

I think I'll stick to my fishn boat and ATV.

Maybe a Jetski. Although I hate them buzzing around me when I'm fishing at sunset on a calm night. Seems to happen a lot.

Thanks Everyone.

Always get good advice here from Guys that know.

Cheers

Peter

I take it some of you folks are not TT series fans based on your comments?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UsFyrvhUNCk"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disclaimer - I would never condone driving like this on an open public road

Love watching , but not for me. LOL Those guys have been doing it since they were crazy. LOL

I have to admit they are fun to ride and make a neat little fishing platform. ;)

There is a lady here that has her sea doo rigged for fishing. Pretty cool.

Love watching , but not for me. LOL Those guys have been doing it since they were crazy. LOL

I think Isle of Man TT races are the coolest. It's one of the few world-know races were a fellow with enough ambition and skill can compete and do well without needing a massive bankroll. Guys have built bikes in their garages and taken them racing in a world-class race. You just don't find that in NASCAR, Formula 1, or really any automobile formats anymore.

So you Guys have got me scared off.

Didn't know insurance would be that much.

Plus leathers, safety course etc.

Never mind the obvious risk of injury.

I think I'll stick to my fishn boat and ATV.

Maybe a Jetski. Although I hate them buzzing around me when I'm fishing at sunset on a calm night. Seems to happen a lot.

Thanks Everyone.

Always get good advice here from Guys that know.

Cheers

Peter

Nothing to be scared of really. If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a motorcycle. On my daily commute I am riding with no hands on the bars for a good 5-10 kms, just using body english to navigate slight bends in the road and to counter wind.

If you're a bad driver in a car/truck or have poor situational awareness you should likely stick to 4 wheels. Most people who wipe out on bikes fall into this category. Observe other vehicles and learn to anticipate what their next move will be, drive according to conditions, maintain your bike properly and you won't wipe out.

Defensive driving is key.

Start small (250-500cc) as the smaller bikes are typically lighter and much easier to learn on.

You can get your M1 and be riding the same day. I suggest spending the $40 or whatever it is to get your M1 and buy a cheap little bike just to see if you like it. You'll be out very little money to see if riding is really for you or not. Give it a good 500-1000 kms before deciding to give yourself a chance to relax and enjoy the ride as everyone is a bit nervous while learning.

Expect to pay around $40/month for insurance on a 250cc and it goes up significantly with engine size. Insurance companies I contacted stated they base their rates strictly on engine size and the make/model/year of bike is irrelevant. Best prices I found on a 600cc was $60-70, 800cc was around $90, and 1000cc was $130/month.

On my daily commute I am riding with no hands on the bars for a good 5-10 kms, just using body english to navigate slight bends in the road and to counter wind.

Defensive driving is key.

Somehow those two comments are an oxymoron. Cardinal rule, keep both hands on the bar. The microsecond a bee or junebug smashes you in the face your body reaction will most likely send you into the rhubarb.

Somehow those two comments are an oxymoron. Cardinal rule, keep both hands on the bar. The microsecond a bee or junebug smashes you in the face your body reaction will most likely send you into the rhubarb.

Just like when I am in my truck or operating heavy equipment, avoiding over reacting prevents the majority of accidents. Anyone who gets hit in the face by a bug or even small stone and over reacts enough to even come close to dropping their bike shouldn't have been on the bike in the first place. Large bugs sting and stones cause welts, but the rider must suck it up and carry on. Many guys wipe out because they over react.

I wear a full face helmet for protection from weather, debris, and bugs.

I've been hit by bugs, stones, cigarette butts, and even pieces of blown tire along with being cut off a few times by vehicles and a deer. Keep calm, do not over react, and look where you want to go. Alcohol, drugs, bad drivers, and "scatter brain" people do not mix well with bikes.

Edited by ch312

Just like when I am in my truck or operating heavy equipment, avoiding over reacting prevents the majority of accidents. Anyone who gets hit in the face by a bug or even small stone and over reacts enough to even come close to dropping their bike shouldn't have been on the bike in the first place. Large bugs sting and stones cause welts, but the rider must suck it up and carry on. Many guys wipe out because they over react.

I've been hit by bugs, stones, cigarette butts, and even pieces of blown tire along with being cut off a fewdrivers, and "scatter brain" people do not mix well with bikes. times by vehicles and a deer. Keep calm, do not over react, and look where you want to go. Alcohol, drugs, bad

And people that admittedly say they ride 5-10 k with no hands on the bike

Edited by gaspumper

Age has a tendency to diminish reflexes and thus reaction time. Just a fact. I haven't ridden in 20 years and miss it greatly. But you have to know when to quit for your own and more important others safety. Just like crime it's something you don't start late in life.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I've been hit by bugs, stones, cigarette butts, and even pieces of blown tire along with being cut off a few times by vehicles and a deer. Keep calm, do not over react, and look where you want to go. Alcohol, drugs, bad drivers, and "scatter brain" people do not mix well with bikes.

My buddy who used to ride had a bird hit him in the shoulder on the highway. It blew his hand right off the bar but he was able to hold it together and save himself from wrecking. If you can live through that I think you can live through anything!!! ^_^

That's brutal, all because some twit decided it would be a good idea to cross the line on what's apparently a blind curve.

It's a good idea to be in the "driver side" tire track of the lane most times, but when it comes to blind hills and curves I always shift to the shoulder side of the lane just in case someone isn't holding their lane.

Shortly after the initial crash, another northbound motorcyclist collided with a car that had stopped at the scene and another northbound motorcyclist went off the roadway and into the ditch on Sunday August 20th.

What that says to me is these other two guys who wiped out were not driving according to conditions. Limited visibility = slow down.

Edited by ch312