2 newbies and a speedboat (Lake O fishing)

huzzsaba

A friend of mine purchased a speedboat recently and mentioned to me that he was interested in fishing. He wanted to catch some salmon so we made a plan to get out and give it a try. I have some experience fishing and he knows boating. At this point he is the captain and I am the fisherman.

We head out one morning only to reach the ramp and see the waves crashing against the shore. We made the wise decision to cancel and rescheduled for another day.

Night before Civic Holiday, my friend sends me a text saying he needs to put the boat in the water to do some repairs on the trailer and asks me if we should give fishing a shot. I say sure, why not. We reach the ramp and its packed with boats. Luckily we got in the water quick and were on our way.

We were not really as prepared as we should have been. I had my 2 dinky rods (which mind you caught several 20 lb salmon) but that was it. My friend who has never caught a salmon or trout in his life and didn't get a chance to prepare his rods but had 2 decent rods. This was my first time using a fish finder as well, and to go along with that we had no equipment for down rigging, but we said what the heck, lets give it a try, Even if we don't catch anything, we are just getting our feet wet and its a start to hopefully many fishing trips.

We head out in the calm Lake O waters and look for where others are fishing. We reach the area and keep our distance. My friend sets up his rod with a dipsy diver followed by a flasher and spoon. we get it into the water only to find out he put it on backwards so it did not want to dive lol. I switched it around and we let if go into the water.

I meanwhile remembered watching some videos about a 50/50 method of trolling using a sinker and rubber band. I pulled out my Williams Wabbler spoon that have been collecting dust in my fishing bag and throw it on. let out approx 50 feet of line ( eyeballed it) and attached a 3/4 oz sinker, and then let out approx another 50 feet of line. We then proceed to start trolling. My previous experience on charters and last year with freshtrax, I know to stay away from other boats so we did just that. We kept the speed at 2.4 mph.

An hour goes by and nothing. I decide to check my sinker and lure. As I am reeling in, bang! something broke off my lure. I then look and see a nice silver and black fish acrobatically leaping into the air 2-3 times. What a sight with the toronto skyline in the back! Hopefully it shook off the hooks.

I then had to tie a new leader on 20 lb maxima ultragreen and send it out with another williams wabler spoon but this time a different color. I also remember to loosen the drag so that I wouldn't break off again. 10 mins later I get up to do something and my rod (which is sitting in a ghetto rigged rod holder lol) goes off with the sound we all love hearing of fish peeling drag. Again acrobatic jumps follow 100 feet behind the boat. I reel the fish in all the while praying it stays on and we net it! My first ever Rainbow!! 15 mins later another one is on the same rod and spoon, this time the fish is slightly bigger. Another rainbow! All this on my 6.6 med shimano rod with a spinning reel with 20 lb line.

My friend then asks me to tie him the same setup as mine. I pulled out another Williams spoon similar to the one I was using and setup the 50/50 for him. 5 mins later, he has his first fish on and its a small salmon (probably 1 lb). It was nice to see the huge smile on his face. We took a quick photo and sent it back the water to catch another year.

We ended our day there as the rain started coming down. All in all a fun day out on the water especially considering we were not that well prepared and not expecting much. A lot of thanks to all who gave advice from this board in the past and to Freshtrax who I learnt a lot from our short outing last year. It really helped along with the numerous youtube videos I have watched over the years.

In the excitement, I forgot to take photos out on the water but here are 2 from when I returned home. top fish is 9.2 lbs and bottom one 8.6 lbs.

20638668_10154829194461727_3072067754964

20689566_10154829195211727_2089258420239

Edited by huzzsaba

WELL DONE, WELL DONE

You had a couple of classic treasure spoons, and they preformed like they did years before. I still use a williams jigging spoon. Some say it,s old school. I say ya, but it catches my fish. :D

Truly enjoyed your report huzz. Nice looking fish. :good::D

WELL DONE :Gonefishing::clapping::clapping:

Thanks for the replies and yes Andrew, its very addictive.

Brian, I bought those spoons initially to use in algonquin for lake trout but never got around to going there. Hopefully they produce in the future as well as they did that day.

Pump Knows, Love watching your videos and will definitely post about future outings.

Recently went a road trip to Jasper and Banff from here (gta), so will be working on that report to come soon!

Are you kidding me? I know guys that have 1000's of dollars in stuff on their non speed boats the catch diddly squat. You must have been listening Huzz. More fun than tossing a float from shore eh? Good on you man, I can't been happier. Does than mean you won't be asking anymore questions now about minnows vs. worms from shore? I hope not.

Sorry for the late reply and thank you guys for the kind words. Old Ironmaker, I will continue to learn as long as I can, so definitely worms vs minnows questions will continue :D .

I do know however that with all the gobies we have, worms are a pain in the neck unless one likes goby fishing. So minnows wins vs worms.