Guess my PB smallie weight from old pics! Just for fun!

colin519

I had fun in that other thread guessing the weight of that largie! I figured I'd post some old pics of my PB smallie in hopes that others comment with a guess at the weight. I've always said 5.5 but I've had people say 4 and recently I saw a solid 4.5 lb small that was quite small looking so it's got me wondering! Would love some input!

These are the only two pics of this beast in existence. I watched this fish in a sunny northern bay for about 30 minutes before he finally took a worm.

36161222165_1721464940_n.jpg
35993300832_5b869a30d0_n.jpg

Edited by colin519

Honestly, does it matter? As long as you're happy, it's your fish. It's far from the biggest smallie that's been posted here. My advice is this, since there's zero chance of you ever catching the same fish twice, you should invest in a good scale, camera and cutting board. :good:

wow you guys have a different definition of fun here.

it doesn't matter. i am curious because i haven't thought about it since it was caught 10 years ago. i don't care, was just curious for another opinion.

thanks for coming out guys .....

edit to add:

3.2MP camera wasn't too bad back then! we had a random shore lunch and the cutting board is part of my back packing kit for sure. cleaning them up at the boathouse is definitely easier!!! :)

Edited by colin519

I think the pictures more relevant to people eating bass, haha apparently you like bass. where can you keep 12 bass?

Did it occur to you that there could be more than one person in the boat? The limit is 6 pretty much everywhere north of 17.

I'd put that fish around 4 pounds, but it's not a great shot so it's hard to tell. A lot of people seem to forget just how well a simple crawler works for smallies.

wow you guys have a different definition of fun here.

it doesn't matter. i am curious because i haven't thought about it since it was caught 10 years ago. i don't care, was just curious for another opinion.

thanks for coming out guys .....

edit to add:

3.2MP camera wasn't too bad back then! we had a random shore lunch and the cutting board is part of my back packing kit for sure. cleaning them up at the boathouse is definitely easier!!! :)

I used a 3.2Mb camera for years. Now a cheapy phone takes a better picture so I don't carry it.

Just imagine if we had this kinda sharing of pics back when we were kids. Not one, but two stringers of smallies hanging off the boat. Father, grandfather, uncle, and 3 sons and a daughter . LOL

With in the limit, alls good here.

Edited by Misfish

Just imagine if we had this kinda sharing of pics back when we were kids. Not one, but two stringers of smallies hanging off the boat. Father, grandfather, uncle, and 3 sons and a daughter . LOL

Very true! Legal is legal. Personally, I just like to see the larger, mature fish get released...but it's not illegal to keep them it's just my personal choice. The smaller fish taste better anyway.

Geez, I have an old pic somewhere around here of mah Gramps and 4 guys are holding like 100 walleye lol

It sure was different back then

By the way OP, nice bass!

Very true! Legal is legal. Personally, I just like to see the larger, mature fish get released...but it's not illegal to keep them it's just my personal choice. The smaller fish taste better anyway.

Dont get me wrong. I too, like to see release, selected harvest.

ya you can see thats what we do normally, i was a guest on this particular trip and they made sure i felt included.

theres actually about 6 or 8 people here, 2 adults, 5 teenage boys if i remember correctly.

The biggest smallmouth I've caught was 20" long. My scale died a couple of years ago (I don't use them very often anyway), what would that usually weigh? Same as a largemouth? I've caught plenty of largemouth 20"+ and I've always guessed a 20" largemouth at around 4-4.5lbs, depending on how fat it is.

As for your picture, impossible to tell for sure.

im gonnay say 4.5

but who the hell wants to eat a 4.5lb smallmouth, probably tastes on par with a 40 inch musky lmao

The 60" muskies taste better than the 40s any day...something about them makes the bigger ones taste better