Tiger musky

Sinker

I'm having a brain cramp, and can't find it in the regs, but is a tiger musky considered a pike, or a musky??

I caught my first one last night. Beautiful fish. I wouldn't keep one, but the question came up, and I wasn't sure....

S.

Congrats on the catch, rare for sure in my books. It is deemed to be a Musky by regs. I got one Walleye fishing over 30 years ago and back then we mounted trophies, catch and release was just catching on. Later in life I kicked myself for killing it only to find out from the guys here that they can not reproduce. Don't feel as bad now. The next guy probably would have kept it back then anyway. Some were eating Musky back in 81'. I won't say what southern ON lake because I don't want to start another discussion because I am told here on OFC it was impossible as they don't exist in that Kawartha chain lake that is just NE of the GTA that starts with a S and ends in a G, I know what lake I caught it in for goodness sakes and it is not a Musky. I would think that the award winning taxidermist from Hamilton that did it knew the difference between he 2. It still looks like it came out of the water today. Great job.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I phoned the CO when they put all year on pike. He said that tigers would be pike. Likely a discretion from CO. Haven't read anything.

That makes me wonder who that CO got the job, as the regulations clearly indicate that tigers are considered musky

Congrats on the catch, rare for sure in my books. It is deemed to be a Musky by regs. I got one Walleye fishing over 30 years ago and back then we mounted trophies, catch and release was just catching on. Later in life I kicked myself for killing it only to find out from the guys here that they can not reproduce. Don't feel as bad now. The next guy probably would have kept it back then anyway. Some were eating Musky back in 81'. I won't say what southern ON lake because I don't want to start another discussion because I am told here on OFC it was impossible as they don't exist in that Kawartha chain lake that is just NE of the GTA that starts with a S and ends in a G, I know what lake I caught it in for goodness sakes and it is not a Musky. I would think that the award winning taxidermist from Hamilton that did it knew the difference between he 2. It still looks like it came out of the water today. Great job.

You got pics of the mount?

There's no pike or tigers in there! LOL Sorry couldn't resist Old Ironmaker. Was it Randy Martin that mounted it? People are still eating them if you can believe it. Can't imagine eating a 44" muskie.

I just took a look at her/he, it hangs in the kitchen, I love my wife. It was Joe Martin on the east mountain. Randy may be his son. Joe was in his mid to late 40's I would say back then. That would put him in his 80's now or older. I hope he is still with us. What a talent. Like I said it looks as good now as it did when I picked it up and it wasn't cheap back then. Something like 30 bucks an inch. I think the kitchen grease keeps it from drying out and looking great, laugh out loud.

You got pics of the mount?

Here we go again, deja vu all over again. That's OK. I went through this around 4 years ago and it was deemed to be a Tiger Musky by all here and Dan Columby if I remember right, he would know I am sure. Maybe somehow a baby Tiger or Pike minnow got into Skugog and had a baby with a Musky and then it grew up. When I get a chance I will email someone a picture and post it for me. I have a problem with my laptop and the OFC site posting pics. I post pics on other sites from Photo Bucket but am not able to here because of some issue beyond my limited understanding, hosting issue? I dunno. Experts have tried and said "sorry I can't help you". I am not home right now, in Newmarket for a family Funeral sitting in the hotel lobby doing what good husbands do at a time like this, stay out of the way.

That's right, I remember Joe from the conventions back in the day when he was a judge of all us up and comers at the Taxidermy competitions.. I was mistaken with the first name Randy, that was a guy from around here. He did have a son that also did taxidermy though.

Never caught a musky but always wanted to. May have to hire a guide.

Just fish for walleye on the kawartha's....lol

S.

Yep, or anywhere else lol

The key to landing a musky is 1. Fish walleye

2 no greater than 8lb test

Went walleye fishing yesterday , caught bass ( and a sun burn ) .

Hire fisherpete,

the guy slays the skis...and is priced right, he also provides a ski guarantee!

If you want his contact info shoot me a Pmer

Edited by AKRISONER

I have only gone on 1 charter for Musky so can't recommend anyone else. I caught 3 times the number of Musky that day than in my entire life and the guide was apologizing to me. The West Arm of Nippising at the end of Sept. with Dan Colomby out of Calendar Bay. He is one of the best around. No more money than any other type of charter, actually for a full day less then some.

Handlebarz, a member here, on Lake St. Claire is also known to be great. I can't remember his real name, someone here will. A pal went with him a few years ago and they netted 7 of them. Yep 7!!! Many numbers on LSC but not the size as north country.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

AKRISONER, pm sent.

Old Ironmaker, thanks for the info. I live right on the St.Lawrence in Cornwall and am told it has amazing musky fishing if you know where to go. Actually, im told it has amazing fishing for all kinds of different fish if once again, you know where to go.