Feedback on a SHIMANO CASITAS 151 *update change of reel*

GBW

So I found a new one online for $120 + tax and I like the look of it but I'm really not a baitcaster user. I can drop a lure with my spinning combo's on target or very close everytime. I just feel I may be missing out on the added function of a baitcaster should I want to pitch small to mid size baits for bass when the walleye bite isn't happening for me. Would this increase my casting distance? Easier on the hands and wrists for longer use in the day? I have a baitcaster combo but it's for trolling crankbaits. I don't want to go spend $120 + tax and then a new rod and line and never use it.

How does this reel perform for those that have used it? I've seen the iCast 'selling' video and looks good but why should I go spend a few HUN$ (reel/rod/line) when I get by with what I have? Thanks all

Geoff

Edited by GBW

JMO but I would say buy a Curado. It's not beneficial to go cheaper on a bait caster.

Thanks Chris. This new one is a Japan made unit I understand and has been made for price point and quality. Honestly I'm fine with all the gear I have but I just have that 'itch' bugging me that I'm missing out is why I'm looking. If I can cast 5-20% farther than I do now and reel and have less fatigue doing so then I may 'bite' but if not I'm good with what I have then and can save those nickels...

Edited by GBW

GBW,

Both the original Casitas and the new MGL model are made in Malaysia. They were both sold in Japan but never made there. I personally do not have any experience with them but I have watched a lot of video reviews on them that the people have absolutely nothing bad to say about it.

I have to agree with Chris though. The Curado is probably the lowest I would go when it came to a baitcaster. The Citica is actually the lowest I would consider but for the difference in price, I would just grab a Curado. The Curado is on sale at my local shop for a decent price as well right now because I assume, they will be releasing a Curado MGL shortly. This is a guess but seeing as they have done it with every other reel they make, it only makes sense.

There's 2 separate issues in play here...the quality of the reel itself and why you're considering a baitcasting setup. On the reel side, I have no idea if it's a good value, but like everything else, buy the best you can afford. On the "why" side, you're considering a baitcaster for the wrong reasons. They're not popular because of casting distance or hand fatigue.

Look at what baitcasters offer and decide if it fits your fishing style.

x3 on the curado, it's the better option. If you're going to spend some money on a bait caster, like said above don't cheap out. When i was in the market for a casting reel last year I ended up getting the chronarch more money then the curado which i was leaning towards but I'm very happy with the reel. I"ve done it before and gone with the cheaper option of reel and have been disappointed with it to only then go back next year and buy the higher end model of reel. I also check Tackle warehouse or Tackle tour or other online dealers for reviews of the reels.

Edited by Musky Plug

Thanks all. Still thinking on this as it's really not a needed item for me. As of right now I'm on the 'forget it' side of the fence but still not away from the idea fully yet.

So if the back up set of golf clubs sell tomorrow this is what I'm thinking to get. G LOOMIS E6X 803C JWR 6'8" - BRAND NEW - $150.00 SHIMANO CURADO 200 BRAND NEW IN THE BOX - RIGHT HAND or LEFT HAND - $200.00 (also has the 200HG same price).

Edited by GBW

i would do the same, for bait caster i wont go with anything below 200 dollars. Spinning? even a crappy tire combo would do.

Yeah, because spinning reels being used with lighter line don't require quality drag systems like a baitcaster! LOL

i would do the same, for bait caster i wont go with anything below 200 dollars. Spinning? even a crappy tire combo would do.

The daiwa Lexas are bulletproof reels for well under $200. They aren't the best distance casters but they are the best bargain going IMO.

I agree with the above, don't go below a curado in the shimano lineup.

The situations you intend to use the reel in I'd say you should stick to a spinning reel tho ;)

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen

Buy a curado 70 not the 200

A daiwa tatula can be had for low prices and are surprisingly incredible reels

And manitou is right, minus the technicalities of competition casters. Spinning will outcast baitcasters 99% of the time .

Just some things to consider, there will be a bit of a learning curve with a baitcaster if you haven't used them often, don't get frustrated or give up too quickly.

Line has evolved, it used to be pretty weird to put 20# mono line on your average spinning reel and expect it to preform well, super lines?

For light lures 1/4 ounce and under, I would still roll with spinning gear?

World casting distance record is with a baitcaster, lol.

Off a pier. Your crazy if you think you can normally cast further with a baitcasters. And take out the 15ft rods of rediculous

I'll load up 6lb nanofil and smoke anyone disputing it

Edited by manitoubass2

Well golf club trade fell through so it's a non-issue now. It was never needed but to have a rod/reel combo I'd use vs clubs unused for 5 years was why I was looking is all. thanks again.