Silly question. Can you hose out the inside of a boat?

Tjames09

I don't others do without a problem. Mine is carpeted. I do shampoo the carpet though. The guys were busting my orbs the other day when fishing about my meticulous nature when it comes to my boat. I carry a Dust Buster, Spray 9, aluminum/stainless steel cleaner, Windex and Armourall when fishing is slow and use a deoxidizer and wax power buff it twice a year. I want all the water on the outside of my boat. It is a 94 and looks like a 2004 at least without embellishing for once.

Using a little Mr. Spock from Star Trek logic - if it can rain in the boat and you can wash the boat it should follow that you can hose the boat. Heck I even took mine to a spray wash once in a while, inside and out (hint - make sure you take out EVERYTHING loose or you'll be chasing it!). Just keep the bow up and the plug out till it dries, sunny day helps as would using a wet vac or extractor on carpetd areas. I've replaced a couple rotted floors (decks) in aluminum boats (one was mine) due to age mostly, don't think the need to change them was caused by washing, more like being kept wet too long as in filled with rain or snow.

Michael

I bring my boat to the self wash a few times a year inside and out with a power washer. Just dont put your cover on after. Let it dry in the sun and crank your jack up so most of the water drains out. Boats were made to get wet. Just dont do anything to promote mold and mildew growth. I always open my compartments on warm days too and let them air out. Youd be surprised how much moisture can accumulate in your storage compartments.

My little boat is 100% vinyl on the decks and floor on propose so I could clean it out super easily. I Tilted the bow up high and washed it out all the sand dirt and weeds etc just fly's to the back and out the drain hole very happy with the vinyl and how easily it washes. Carpet I would probably go the hands and knees vacuum route sucks but thats carpet.

The interior of my boat is also vinyl and it gets a scrub and wash mid summer and before the winter. The vinyl is hard on the knees and heats up in the sun no matter the colour but cant be beat for durability over carpet.

I bring my boat to the self wash a few times a year inside and out with a power washer. Just dont put your cover on after. Let it dry in the sun and crank your jack up so most of the water drains out. Boats were made to get wet. Just dont do anything to promote mold and mildew growth. I always open my compartments on warm days too and let them air out. Youd be surprised how much moisture can accumulate in your storage compartments.

I also do this about twice a year......But DON'T use soap......did that the very first time and believe me you can't get rid of the bubbles.......the next few times out the carpet was still bubbling up......LOL

Just use a rinse and put the bilge pump on.........it does a GREAT job of washing out the dirt and grime from the carpet and it fluffs back up and looks like new once it dries.......use the SUN to dry it out real good before putting it away in the garage or covering it.

I also do this about twice a year......But DON'T use soap......did that the very first time and believe me you can't get rid of the bubbles.......the next few times out the carpet was still bubbling up......LOL

Just use a rinse and put the bilge pump on.........it does a GREAT job of washing out the dirt and grime from the carpet and it fluffs back up and looks like new once it dries.......use the SUN to dry it out real good before putting it away in the garage or covering it.

If you ever run out of dishwasher soap don't try Dawn in it! LOL

Thanks guys, I noticed theres really nowhere for the water to go on the inside vinyl area. At the back is the rear folding seats, so the water has to sort of drain through the floor and the seat wall. Theres no quick access for water to escape anywhere.

I have to ask. Would you take a hose to the carpet in your car or truck? I didn't think so. Other things like fuse boxes, relays, VHF radios and the like may get some collateral damage. Vinyl floor or not. A bit of rain, even a downpour is usually vertical only, a wave over the bow is rare. I put a towel on the 6' wide gunnel when fishing out minnows under the bucket I empty before coming on board my DRY boat. I admit I might have a problem.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks guys, I noticed theres really nowhere for the water to go on the inside vinyl area. At the back is the rear folding seats, so the water has to sort of drain through the floor and the seat wall. Theres no quick access for water to escape anywhere.

If you don't have on board drainage do not take a hose to it for sure. Another thing I'm going to ask "would you take a hose to a vinyl or ceramic floor in your house?", why not? They are waterproof, the wood below it isn't. What's the difference?

I have to ask. Would you take a hose to the carpet in your car or truck? I didn't think so. Other things like fuse boxes, relays, VHF radios and the like may get some collateral damage. Vinyl floor or not. A bit of rain, even a downpour is usually vertical only, a wave over the bow is rare. I put a towel on the 6' wide gunnel when fishing out minnows under the bucket I empty before coming on board my DRY boat. I admit I might have a problem.

If you don't have on board drainage do not take a hose to it for sure. Another thing I'm going to ask "would you take a hose to a vinyl or ceramic floor in your house?", why not? They are waterproof, the wood below it isn't. What's the difference?

The carpet in your boat (and the wood or aluminum underneath) are designed to get wet. Some people may store their boats indoors; but many store them outside, and the boats are designed to withstand rain, hail, and what else mother nature may through at it. I don't think you can compare this to the interior carpet in your vehicle or the kitchen floor in your house.

Whats the difference?? Oh, about a hundred things. First of all, its a boat, not the inside of your house.....that's pretty obvious!!

I hose my boat down after almost every trip. Its a boat. Its made for water, and to be outside. Its 20 something years old now....still fine.

S.

You guys just keep hosing down your carpeted boats and bring them to us to replace the wood floor and foam in the aluminums and replace the stringers, foam and floor in the glass boats in the fall. I know I was stretching it with the comparisons. Carpeted boats are not intended to be hosed down unless you wet vac that thing dry and let it sun dry. Shampooing the carpet once a year is different than taking a hose to her. If the boat isn't self bailing where's the water go? Please help me understand. How much water are we talking? A light spray with a hose or power washer? I have carpeted floors on the boat and am intending on replacing it with commercial vinyl this year. I wish I could budget for alum. checker plate.

You guys just keep hosing down your carpeted boats and bring them to us to replace the wood floor and foam in the aluminums and replace the stringers, foam and floor in the glass boats in the fall. I know I was stretching it with the comparisons. Carpeted boats are not intended to be hosed down unless you wet vac that thing dry and let it sun dry. Shampooing the carpet once a year is different than taking a hose to her. If the boat isn't self bailing where's the water go? Please help me understand. How much water are we talking? A light spray with a hose or power washer? I have carpeted floors on the boat and am intending on replacing it with commercial vinyl this year. I wish I could budget for alum. checker plate.

I just raise the bow and remove the drain plug, the water just drains out the back. It's going to get just wet when it rains anyway. I store my boat with the bow up and the drain plug out, so the water isn't sitting there, it just passes through.

Long term water damage would be an issue for boats that have water in them for long periods. Having an uncovered boat tied to the dock all summer that may be full of water during the week when nobody is there to bail it out is more of an issue than hosing down the carpets when the boat is sitting bow up with no drain plug.