How many hours on a used motor is OK?

Tjames09

Im not sure there a wrong amount, if the motor has been properly serviced and maintained then number of hours shouldnt matter other than to use it in your pricing like you would km on a car.

If its got 100,000 hours it might be a bit tired lol.

Like Gallie says it's not the hours it how it was maintained. There are plenty of 40 year old, and older, engines that run like new. Buddy Ted has a 60's era Evinrude 9.9 that cold starts on the first pull. He is the one that has shown me how important maintenance is. I know guys that have new engines that run like poop because they run them WOT and don't maintain them or the fuel they run. I have never run any of my 2 engines on anything but hi octane ethanol free fuel. The extra pennies a litre to me makes sence to run the best fuel available. I change plugs and fuel filter every spring and wires every other season. Over kill? Maybe. I want the things to start just be looking at them and I have to look at the Tach to see if my 2 stroke 115 is running she's so quiet.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can usually tell how someone has maintained their mechanical systems simply by looking at their vehicle and the boat itself. If the boat is a mess and the truck hasn't been washed in a year and is full of Tim Horton cups and McDonalds bags I bet my bottom dollar the maintenance on their engine is just as bad. Not always but it is very rare that if someone tends to not take care of their other stuff the mechanical stuff hasn't been taken care of either. Heck I have called it when pulling up to someone's house when looking at a vehicle to buy. If they care as much about the vehicle as they do their home I don't want to even see it.

I think anything under 600 will last you a long, long time.

I just started the install of a sweet lease return motor on a buddies boat this weekend.

It is a 2016 90hp Merc with about 400 hours on it.

He saved over 20% of the cost new and this thing doesn't look like it's seen water except for the hours on it.

Spend the money to have a mechanic look it over he can tell by looking at the pistons, plugs and possibly hook it up to a computer what shape it is in. While he will not give you a guarantee he can make you comfortable with the price you paid. A good maintenance program has keep my gtx150 from 1989 on a ranger boat running like it is new for 28 years.

Art

I worked in a Machine Shop for many years and I will tell you this.

Lubrication is a key point to make any equipment last a long time, Filters are important also.

With marine engines, wires are a key component to longevity and use fresh hi octane fuel.

Now its trivia time,

How many folks here remember Murray Westgate,

He was a

spokesman for ESSO oil commercials during hockey games.

He always said "Happy Motoring" and "Let's get back to the game".

If you remember him, you have been around for a while, lol

Now its trivia time,

How many folks here remember Murray Westgate,

He was a

spokesman for ESSO oil commercials during hockey games.

He always said "Happy Motoring" and "Let's get back to the game".

If you remember him, you have been around for a while, lol

Also in those pre Global network days, CBLT Toronto was on channel 6 later moving to channel 5. I remember as dad had no remotes in the 50/60's. Think it was the Wednesday Leaf game you would catch already in progress, usually in the 2nd period.