No more weekly cars in the GOSD

John Bacon

They should reduce the ticket pricing to reflect the reduced value of the weekly price as the Corolla's go for $20,000 after all is said and done meaning the current weekly prize is only worth half that of previous derbies. People who won them in the 2014 derby could sell their used prizes for a few thousand more than the current prize.

Crap, when the guy around the corner won it , Every morning going to work, I had to drive by a 20 foot boat with a big outboard on the back and a big Dodge pickup up front to pull it with Toronto Star Salmon Hunt all over it, that was probably worth more in today's dollars than the grand and weekly prizes totalled today. How low can they go and people still pay the big bucks for a ticket, WAIT, they are probably Leaf fans :tease:

Edited by dave524

I think im done with the derby myself, the prizes seem to get worse every year and the drive to and from the city to combat fish with googans is no longer appealing to me.

I may go do a bit of downrigging just for kicks once in a while but they can keep the derby.

They should reduce the ticket pricing to reflect the reduced value of the weekly price as the Corolla's go for $20,000 after all is said and done meaning the current weekly prize is only worth half that of previous derbies. People who won them in the 2014 derby could sell their used prizes for a few thousand more than the current prize.

Come on, that would mean someone has some common sense!! (I agree with you, lol)

I think im done with the derby myself, the prizes seem to get worse every year and the drive to and from the city to combat fish with googans is no longer appealing to me.

I live a 5 minute walk from the marinas and can see the lake from my front yard, it was a madhouse at the marinas and on the lake for the salmon derbies, especially the spring derby, but today there is but a handful of boats out at any time now where in the late 80's there were well over a 100 on the weekends and one of the marinas was usually a weigh in, it is a non event here anymore, no combat fishing here.

I remember when it was $20 for a ticket. You had to be at the port credit launch well before 3 am to get launched and a spot to park. Lots of floating lights out there in the mouth til day light. Back then, we didnt have the new tech we have today.Those were the days IMO.

I live a 5 minute walk from the marinas and can see the lake from my front yard, it was a madhouse at the marinas and on the lake for the salmon derbies, especially the spring derby, but today there is but a handful of boats out at any time now where in the late 80's there were well over a 100 on the weekends and one of the marinas was usually a weigh in, it is a non event here anymore, no combat fishing here.

we always fished out of the bluffs, im not sure if this is the marina you live close to but on a weekend its a circus. Theres been times when we had to wait until cars pulled out of the boat/trailer parking just so we could park the truck.

I have been on weekdays and its not as bad but any summer weekend wirh decent weather and its packed with people and boats.

We basically stopped fishing the drop off at the bluffs because it wasnt worth the hassle, its easier just to start at 200' and find packs of fish in deeper water by yourself lol.

Not to mention the rush to the launch when it got dark, you can see how easy the boaters test is when people who shouldnt be allowed to ride a bike blow by 10' away from you doing 30 mph in a 26' fishing boat as you enter the launch area.

Then you get to watch that googan struggle for what seems like ages to get his boat onto a completely submerged trailer thats backed down the middle of a double ramp lol

I actually started to get a bit worked up just typing this, keep the derby, keep the bluffs. Maybe ill just try simcoe slobs in my off time, at least i dont have the 1 1/2 hour drive.

None of the lake ontario ports are super busy during the week. That goes for the ramps on most lakes in general. I've had a lot of ups and downs with shift work, but never having to fish weekends isn't one of them! To bad about the prize structure, but the ticket price will hurt more considering they dropped the car a week. I guess the price of everything has gone up!

we always fished out of the bluffs, im not sure if this is the marina you live close to but on a weekend its a circus. Theres been times when we had to wait until cars pulled out of the boat/trailer parking just so we could park the truck.

I live down by the old pump house/ water plant in Grimsby on the south shore.

Come on, that would mean someone has some common sense!! (I agree with you, lol)

Seeing as this is a first, I think I may take a screenshot as proof...lol.

Maybe sponsors aren't getting the return they used to on their investments... if they aren't getting enough return they will not support events like this

$10,000 cash is nothing to shake a stick at

How much is a ticket anyways?

It's $125 per person. Don't get me wrong, $10,000 can buy a few nice toys. But, how can they cut the weekly prize value in half and keep the ticket price the same? They should reduce the ticket price to reflect the decreased prize value.