Old Ammo - NF

Tom S

My brother found a handful of old rifle and handgun ammunition in a wall while renovating his older house. Not sure how old they are, not overly corroded or damaged or anything like that. A couple look like they might be either 9mm or .38 caliber rounds, the others I'm guessing as .303 blanks (necked down cartridge, top is crimped over).

What's the best way for him to make sure that this ammo is decommissioned if he wants to keep it as a memento? Toss them in some water for a while?

Tom, take them down to Al Simmons gun shop on Locke St. in Hamilton and they will fix you up. I dealt with them for years when I was at the Hamilton gun club on #20 in Binbrook way back when, Simmons and the gang were the best around. I haven't heard great things about the gun shop on 3# in Simcoe. I just saw a new Hunting/ fishing shop driving through Binbrook today. It is in the new plaza on the west side of 56 south of the main intersection in the same building as the Dentists. Heck maybe with some of the crazy names new retailers have it might be a ladies dress shop.

Just a thought maybe give a gun club a call or email for advise.

Why would someone bury ammo in a wall?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/303-BRIT-FULL-LENGTH-BLANK_p_28.html

.303 blanks, cartridge is lipped like a .22.

No idea on hiding them in a wall, as long as they aren't in a humid area corrosion would be low and slow?

I had a VFW across the street from me growing up, they were always giving 21 gun salutes. Blanks for an M - 1 Garand and British Enfield rifles were probably a lot more common years ago?

Base of the pistol cartridge may have a caliber on it? No idea on the cost of having a gun shop disable cartridges.

People do weird things. I hid my card collection in the wall. Not really to protect it(added bonus) but so id temp forget about it. And when we moved, I did lol. Good thing the house I rented was sold to a childhood friend. He let me take out the drywall to recover them. I put it back up afterwards. Cost me ?24? glass bottles

Maybe a few famous crimes may be solved. Let me put my Tin Hat on. Canadian link to Dallas.

Ohio Fisherman, it is said if you don't have an Enfield in your home you aren't truly Canadian. I read that somewhere here just tonight.

I can understand that given it's history, it was the weapon of the British Empire for a long time.

I can understand that given it's history, it was the weapon of the British Empire for a long time.

Got us through 4 wars - Boer, WW1, WW2, and Korea. Well designed and reliable.

I'll take you up on that G2G at some point Ironmaker.

Even the blanks?

Sure , why not. Makes for a great story. Eh Erb bye. Ya wont believe dis bye. I had a moose in me sihts. Pulled da trigger, and dam mist. Pulled da trigger again, dam mist. Lucky fer me, I was albe to find me shells, dam mist.

John Bacon I was remiss in not telling you that was the best one I heard this year.

BB, it is spelled boy. It's all in the accent boy. I'll ask you a newfie question that I learned years ago. What be a "flanker" buy. By, buy, boy.

What would an italian know about the word terms/accent, of the east coasters? :tease: