Trailer Vid

DanD

I'm changing up the axle on the fish hut/snowmobile trailer I built last year. Looking around the net, I found this vid of what I'm kind of building; axle wise.

But it's the first song on the vid that makes me want to post it.

At least I thought it was suiting for a fishing board? LOL

Dan.

I''m building the sub frame and axle assembly from scratch; with parts I was able to get at Princess Auto.

I haven't added up the cost?

I think the stub axles were the most expensive single items at $120. each. The rest is just rectangle 2X3" tubing that I'll weld up.

8219263.jpg

A question, will the MTO allow this?

Sure as long as the trailer is no wider then 8' 6" it's legal.

Plus everything I've installed so far is DOT approved.

Oh yeah one other thing; I'm a licensed safety inspection station for cars and trailers; so I'm pretty sure it'll pass inspection. LOL

Dan.

Wouldn't a ramp be more convenient?

Yes if you were only using it as a trailer.

But I'm using this as my snowmobile trailer to get to the lake.

Once there the trailer is hooked to the snowmobile and it is now my fish hut; that the frame can be dropped down onto the ice.

Dan.

It sure is slick Dan. I might be concerned if there was a mild spell and then cold froze that thing into the ice. That might be some digging. I would love to try one though, for sure. My kind of ice fishing these days. Back in the 70's buddy Wayne had a Dodge Shaggin' wagin" that he cut holes out of the floor boards and slid in galv. duct work sleeve into the hole. Nice and comfy. We spent more than a few nights out on Cooch, Bernard, Simcoe and Nipissing to name a few. A huge full size plus maxi van with everything you would need to live. A small genny ran everything including heat and we had a BBQ set up. It was Co-ed too!!!!!!! 3 couples once.

Thanks for the extended video Fisherman, no digging with that winch option. I would like to see some pitch on that roof to handle snow load. You can use it all year for many applications, slick it is. I would think anyone with some mechanical skills could make one easily. You should be able to get everything at Princess Auto, No????

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yes if you were only using it as a trailer.

But I'm using this as my snowmobile trailer to get to the lake.

Once there the trailer is hooked to the snowmobile and it is now my fish hut; that the frame can be dropped down onto the ice.

Dan.

Do you tow it behind the snowmobile with the wheels up? Or, are the wheels just raised to get the trailer lower to the ice once you are there?

Do you tow it behind the snowmobile with the wheels up? Or, are the wheels just raised to get the trailer lower to the ice once you are there?

He has a set of skis that strap onto the wheels if I remember right. The wheels lift up to get him down on the ice for fishing only.

S.

I've saw a video somewhere that a mechanically inclined guy used a cheat trailer winch on each side to raise/lower the rear leaf spring point, so yes, most of the parts could be found or McGuyvered from PA parts.

Yeah I have the winches on the bench waiting to go on the frame.

Dan.

I might be concerned if there was a mild spell and then cold froze that thing into the ice.

Small blocks of wood (2X4) under each corner; should take care of that?

The whole purpose of this trailer/hut, is that it comes home with me at the end of the day. I don't care how comfortable a hut is; I'm not sleeping in it over night. My fat a$$ will be in my recliner, watching the 60" TV in the rec-room. The hut will be in the lane-way with the on-board charger plugged in; getting ready for our next venture out. LOL

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time the last couple of weekends and got to work on the drop down frame for the fish hut.

This is with the wheels in the down position for travelling on the road.

IMG_1201_zpsbl8jnejz.jpg

This is with the frame half way down or depending on how you want to look at it the wheels half way up?

IMG_1202_zps4hc4jwnw.jpg

The next two are with the frame all the way down onto the floor.

IMG_1203_zps6aalxvvw.jpg

IMG_1204_zps0gnyweum.jpg

Hoping to get the new frame under the fish hut next weekend?

Dan.

Yeah there's hitch pins that go through the shackles and the eye's of the springs.

In the pic things don't look lined up; but that's because I've left most mounting points loose until I get the frame welded to the trailer.

IMG_1205_zpsejw30w3r.jpg

IMG_1206_zpspnfsdps1.jpg

The winch straps will be left connected for road travel; kind of like a safety latch, if a hitch pin would ever decide to come out ot break?

Same as the fenders, they'll go on after the frame is attached; making sure there is wall clearance.

Dan.

Got the old axle & suspension off and the new attached to the frame of the hut.

IMG_1215_zps6si3qbfz.jpg?t=1483366594

I didn't get a pic of the hut lowered but measuring through one of the holes to the floor of the shop there's approx 6 1/2".

It'll also be much easier loading and unloading the snowmobile, with the frame on the ground.

IMG_1219_zpsadq9kgjd.jpg?t=1483366595

Weld up the bracketing for the fenders, a coat of paint and I should be good to go; when there's ice. LOL

When I hear there's "safe" ice on Nipissing I may head there for a weekend?

Dan.

Its a great idea. The only problem I can see is getting it stuck on the lake, then you can't get your machine home......I know you have skis for it as well, so that will help a lot. What kind of machine are you towing this with on the ice?

S.