Catch n Release or Catch to eat?

Poll: Catch n Release or Catch to eat?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Catch n Release or Catch to Eat - What do you do?

• 100% Catch n Release
    • Mostly Catch n Release but occasionally eat a fish caught
    • Target certain fish for eating and put others back
    • 100% Fish to Eat - keep everything within the regs limits

I believe an important part of healthy fish stocks is to catch and eat.

I try to only keep the small and mid-size fish and always release the big breeders (unless the are injured or came from very deep water).

I always also keep stocked fish (Chinooks, Coho and Steelhead) as they're are stocked for us to eat and not breeding (sucessfully) in the wild.

With Pan fish and Walleye I always keep the "eater size"

For bass, I try to kept a limit of under 2lbers each trip, and all the big guys go back.

I wish more people would use this method. It's good for the fish and the future fish would all come for bigger genetic strains.

Edited by Patches

I'm always looking for the perfect fish for dinner and I never can seem to catch it. And when I do, I usually like it so much, I toss 'em back anyway.

I mostly just keep the bad bleeders and I guess the Pickerel (if I could ever actually catch one).

#2 for me.

I keep only a few fish every year, usually a trout or walleye caught on my annual week-long trip (coming up really soon!). I'm not good at cleaning fish so I have almost never kept perch for the table, even though it is my favourite kind of fish.

Mike

if im really tired and dont feel like cleaning fish, they stay there. but this doesnt happen too often so i usually bring some home for a meal. bass, catfish, panfish, pike, pickeral, trout, salmon, smelt, and the list goes on. muskie is pretty good too yet everyone says it tastes bad?

• 3 weeks later...

I fish less than a dozen times a year. I keep a few panfish for the pan if they are a good size. I don't land on much other types of fish, mostly get small bass which goes back. If I am lucky I might get to keep few 2lb sized bass for the year.

# 3 for me mostly perch as i really do love it and its damn yummy!..Only ever kept two bass which was last summer fishing & camping up north. Allthough they tasted great i have tryed them now and does not interest me to keep another one to eat!. So i basically keep the perch i catch and everything else i fish for is released back into the water.

Pretty much catch and release. On one of our trips for bass, we'll keep 2 to have a fish fry. Other than these couple, everything else is released. Of course .. the Lakair fish fry and derby may be a bit of a different story. As I was skunked for both ... my routine stands firm. (Just you all wait until next year).

• 10 months later...

#2, I fish for the fun of it, and have been pretty much on a quest for the next trophy sized fish of many species for over the last 25 years.

I will keep the odd chunky pike if it's hooked bad and might not make it(generally I don't fish with cranks loaded with hooks because of this)

otherwise I keep maybe 6-8 fish a year that's it..more often than not it's less than that...so say 8 fish out of hundreds a year, not a bad ratio :Gonefishing: ..last year I kept 2 pike and 4 walleye all year, I don't like eating fish all that much and don't like salmanoids, I kept 1 rainbow this past winter season out of probably 100 I caught cuz I weighed it in for a derby. That one I donated to my neighbour when i got home.

My doctor says I need more omega-free-fatty-ass !!!!!!

So ... I keep the following (within regs) ... rainbow, specks, salmon, brown, pickeral, whitefish .... most saltwater gamefish on the RARE occasion I get to fish for them.

But I Normally dont keep Bass, Pike (actually I do sometimes) , Musky (cant take the wrath of the Musky hunters and dont like to kill anything older than 4 years anyways), perch ... too many have to die for a meal :)

Last year I kept all my walleye I caught for the table, all one of them. Also kept about 6-10 bass through the season, mostly small. Had to eat a four pounder because it was not going to live. I was really embarassed and felt bad because it was a big one. I try to stick around 2.5. For the amount I fish, that is not much.

My wife this year keeps telling me when I go out to get dinner. So far there has been no dinner. Have to make her stop saying that.