Nipissing to remain open for ice fishing

farsider

I've never ice fished Nippising or know much about the fishery , but ive heard that there is commercial netting of walleye. Obviously I would assume this is also analyzed when a study is performed on the state of the fishery .

As much as people are slamming the MNR for recommending "yet another study", I believe it's the right move. I personally think fish mortality is huge through the ice - something we need to fix.

The current slot limits for sportsfishing are adequate and put our harvest levels within the safe zone. I know that puts our harvest rate at 3% of all catches, but lets fix the 3%, not the slot.

I read the full report from the independent study. Some interesting highlights;

1. Number of catches from sports fishing is at an all time high.

2. Number of harvested fish (fish kept) from sports fishing is at an all time low.

3. Sportsfishing harvest has been cut 1/8 from 2014, when the new slot went in.

4. As others have pointed out, netting is now overwhelmingly responsible for harvest numbers.

I think us sportsfishermen have done our part in reducing our harvest. I encourage everyone to continue supporting the new slot size, as painful as it is now.

So, they would rather keep it open and make the tourist money than protect the resource. Why am I not surprised. The MNRF is a joke.

S.

With the old slot, shutting down the lake would be the right move. With the new slot, most people don't harvest any fish at all on Nipissing, so the lake is safe over the winter. Keeping the lake open is the right move, unless they can substantiate claims of 25% mortality.

With the old slot, shutting down the lake would be the right move. With the new slot, most people don't harvest any fish at all on Nipissing, so the lake is safe over the winter. Keeping the lake open is the right move, unless they can substantiate claims of 25% mortality.

Yep, but the peanut gallery of people that know nothing about the lake will be out in full force yet again. I can't wait to get in a couple trips and lay an absolute smackdown on the walleye :)

The days of going out and getting a limit a day are long gone and I've been there done that, the words catch and release had not yet been invented, nor were fishing licences. We will be bringing fish with us if we want a fish fry this coming year for our 35 year Nip ice fishing reunion. To have a great time with old friends, have a Euchre and Poker tourney, eat and drink what we shouldn't and reminisce we will go ice fishing on Nipissing. Maybe challenge a C.O. to a race on the sleds or arm wrestling. Just because we might not eat a fish caught won't stop us from going.

Want to eat fish? go buy one, I guarantee it's much cheaper.

Last trip to Nipissing in the summer we boated piles of pickerel. We kept one legal and a few bass for a fish fry.

I can guarantee 2 things, there is a kill rate of released Walleye caught through the ice they say is around .25% to .50% but not all, the kill rate of Walleye in a net is 100%.

I actually spent the last hour glancing through the 22 page report. I would love to look at it in detail and may this winter when I'm snowed in. I was getting a "I'm back at work" flashback. I didn't enjoy reading reports from scientists and engineers.

The thing that stuck out blaringly was their observation on incomplete data. What they basically said in English was this. None of these numbers means sweet F all because not all commercial catches are reported. Wonderful. We aren't talking about loosing a weeks worth of recreational creel studies. These are big numbers that could skew an entire study. I shall read on when I can.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

This has become nothing less than a pissing match.

OI your probably accurate on nip netting.

Here and on LOTWs alot of netting isnt that way. My mother in laws hubby checks nets 3 hours on the dot.

Good thing too because youde be shocked how many fish can be square hooked in 3 hours. 1000 crappie, yep. 10 or 15 trophy musky, yep. 15lb walleye, yep.

In manitou a few jerks leave nets in for days. Guess what that gets ya???

A bad rap and cut nets. (Possibly an ass kicking too)

Edited by manitoubass2

Humbug, maybe the chief should enforce his own rules better for those that scoff at them.

The cheif has no say in or power to enforce laws. Only police/MNR do.

These policies etc must be past by council

The only thing a chief can do is whats called BCR. Which is short for band concil resolution. It means if you dont follow the rules/laws and are considered nuissance you can be barred from the rez.

But its next to impossible to hold it up against a band member of that reservation. They basically get sued everytime and it rarely sticks so its rarely even considered as a solution.

Yep, but the peanut gallery of people that know nothing about the lake will be out in full force yet again. I can't wait to get in a couple trips and lay an absolute smackdown on the walleye :)

Last trip to Nipissing in the summer we boated piles of pickerel. We kept one legal and a few bass for a fish fry.

Amen. If you're into C&R Nipissing is phenomenal right now. Best I've seen in a decade (the decade I've been here, ha). Can't wait for these little fish to grow up. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will once again be a healthy population of fish. If we were at 10% keepers I'd be happy. We're on year 2 of a 3-4 year growth cycle for the 2014 stockers, only a couple more seasons to go!

I can guarantee 2 things, there is a kill rate of released Walleye caught through the ice they say is around .25% to .50% but not all, the kill rate of Walleye in a net is 100%.

The thing that stuck out blaringly was their observation on incomplete data. What they basically said in English was this. None of these numbers means sweet F all because not all commercial catches are reported. Wonderful. We aren't talking about loosing a weeks worth of recreational creel studies. These are big numbers that could skew an entire study. I shall read on when I can.

Kill rate through the ice is a huge problem. Netting or not, it's something we have to address. Perhaps this needs to go beyond Nipissing too.

Noticed that about commercial netting data. Where is it? Did I miss that part? It can be interpolated though. We have enough numbers to figure it out. Someone claimed 13% sportsfishing, 87% commercial. Not sure how accurate that is. Important to note that in past years, both sports and commercial fishing exceeded the recommended yearly catch. Now sportsfishing is in the safe zone, finally. Time for the commercial fishery to play their part.

The experts warn that at this rate, a collapse of the population could occur. It's funny and sad, but I think a collapse would be the fastest way to resolve the situation and save the lake long term...

Humbug, maybe the chief should enforce his own rules better for those that scoff at them.

As far as we know the self-imposed moratorium and rules aren't working. I'd like to hear how they've adjusted in 2016, and sincerely hope they managed to rein in the uncooperative folk.

Consider that in 2015, "illegal" netting during the moratorium alone exceeding sportsfishing harvest. That's 8 days of illegal netting exceeding a full year of sportsfishing. Astounding.

If that where true harvest would be way up next season. We where catching piles of 15-17's this season. I don't mind it the way it is, big numbers fishery and my kids have a ball, plus we usually get just enough for a fry, even if we have to add a bass or some perch to the mix. We always get some jumbo perch while trolling.

Sterling, I have to go back and re read the report, I read .25 to .50% kill rate from C@R through the ice, not 25% to 50%, point 25%. Between a quarter to half off all Walleye released die? I don't think so, I hope not.

Now I can't find the PFD in my file.

Thanks, I had originally misread. I swear I saw someone from the MNR or NFN claim 25%.

This summary offers pretty good insight. Mortality is high in tournaments because the fish aren't immediately released. Seems like catch & immediate release gives a 98%+ survival rate, which I think is fantastic.

Interestingly, fizzing leads to much higher mortality.

Also, cooler water = lower mortality.

http://www.fishfactor.tv/documents/Competitive%20Angling-Peche%20Competitive/walleye%20catch%20and%20release%20mortality.pdf

Rumour has it that there might be a new slot size for walleye on Nipissing for 2017. 16.9 -23.6 inches. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Where did you hear this? Sounds great.

If that where true harvest would be way up next season. We where catching piles of 15-17's this season. I don't mind it the way it is, big numbers fishery and my kids have a ball, plus we usually get just enough for a fry, even if we have to add a bass or some perch to the mix. We always get some jumbo perch while trolling.

A small increase like this would be done in a calculated way. Suspect they're trying to get sportsfishing harvest to 15-20,000kg by adding 1in to the slot.