Backwoods Brookies with the Great One

ckewley

You grab some GPS concordance from MNR Rules & Regs & set out on a trek. You've heard myths about this place holding some decent sized Brookies, maybe even spotted some pictures with a few beasties that were pulled out in years gone by, but would they still be there? My buddy & I would pick up the challenge! We wanted to bring the canoe but winds today were fierce so it was left home, we would have to shore fish if we could find decent spots.

037_zpso458dfg3.jpg

We park at the side of the hwy & start our trek inland, no path, hilly, but not a extremely difficult trek, about 1km. Hitting the lake was like finding a slice of heaven, I love Can Shield lakes. We start to work the lake over pitching spoons & spinners & having zero success. Thought that one area would be impossible to find shore spots as it was cliff faced, cursing we didn't bring the canoe but darted over there regardless, tricky maneuvering but found a great spot. Change up & we start using maggots, wind was nicely sheltered here. The hours ticked by with nada a bite. I always bring a whisky with me on these trips as I quite enjoy sitting back sipping away, & this is where the Great One from the title comes in. Wayne Gretzky has just put out a whisky & normally I run away when a celebrity endorses a whisky but he is hands on with this so I thought to give it a shot, very glad I did & great sipping whisky & opens up even more with a splash of water

007_zpsupdahltt.jpg.

We pour ourselves a good sniff & my rod moves, launch into action & a short but awesome battle ensues & I was on board with a very respectible Brookie

20161023_103424_zpspdbwxqnz.jpg

After settling down, the wait was back on, that couldn't have been the only fish in town! Pour another shot, my buddies rod goes off & after a lengthy battle a beautiful male came in but the hook popped out on our almost non existent landing area.

001_zpsgqcvd0e5.jpg

He would fight another one minutes later, just a beauty

002_zpselzupwyx.jpg

006_zpsrqnsesc5.jpg

What the hell we pour yet another shot & my rod fires, not a big guy but still respectable.

018_zpss3boywvc.jpg

I'm using terms like Rod Fires or Moves but really these were some of the lightest biting Brookies I've ever seen. We had a few missed chances mixed in as well. Things seemed to die off so.........we pour another shot, shortly afterwards my float starts heading against the current....HMMMM!

021_zpsqaawcfwh.jpg

030_zpsxw5bwmwg.jpg

033_zpsg9njvpdq.jpg

Not since my spring trip to Trident lake had I tied into quality Brookies, just a all round awesome day!

And REALLY the Whisky stuff is true!!!!

Awesome Chris! I haven't fished in the autumn for a long while and really miss it. Although, I never forget that I am so out of shape that the 70+ year old "leaf people*" would pass me on the trail to the lake.

About the whiskey, it's funny, because that's the first thing I thought.....celebrity endorsed booze? Come'on Chris!! Lol. Glad to hear it was good though.

* Algonquin park receives A LOT of tourists in the fall to look at the leaves changing color.

Edited by adempsey