2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I really don't understand the hate for the Leafs, I was at a family dinner during the Centennial classic and when Matthews scored the GWG I cheered, the woman's uncle threw his fork down and started swearing and continuing on about how Toronto doesn't deserve a team (he's a buffalo fan and at the time of that game buffalo had lost 7 of the last 8) all I could do was laugh haha

I really don't understand the hate for the Leafs, I was at a family dinner during the Centennial classic and when Matthews scored the GWG I cheered, the woman's uncle threw his fork down and started swearing and continuing on about how Toronto doesn't deserve a team (he's a buffalo fan and at the time of that game buffalo had lost 7 of the last 8) all I could do was laugh haha

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Lol. He ate that game winner

the games at hand, is becoming a bit ridiculous. 6 games on Boston? they are 7% of the season behind them lol.

Expect more hockey than you can handle for the second half holy crepe its gonna be fast and furious. That's when we are really going to see the boys turn to men.

Luckily youth helps when playing a tight schedule.

the games at hand, is becoming a bit ridiculous. 6 games on Boston? they are 7% of the season behind them lol.

Expect more hockey than you can handle for the second half holy crepe its gonna be fast and furious. That's when we are really going to see the boys turn to men.

Luckily youth helps when playing a tight schedule.

But Boston hasn't had their bye week yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/57by28/complete_list_of_nhl_bye_weeks/

I don't get it either man.

I was at work, it's a huge workplace, thousands of people, the Leafs were playing Arizona and TVs were on. I heard a loud, emphatic cheer.

I assumed the Leafs had scored. When I look to see, there's a bunch of recognizable Habs fans looking at a TV and the Coyotes had scored.

When the Leafs don't make the playoffs (quite often), I pull for the Habs or Sens because I'm Canadian and more familiar with the teams in the east.

Hate is an ugly word but yeah, it fits.

I think it's 3 reasons.

1) There's the resentment by the ex-fans, like Matt, who act like they got their heart broken because the Leafs owed them something and cheated them out of their Stanley Cup. And because Leafs didn't win them a Stanley Cup they're going to go adorn another team with their golden but fragile admiration. And it's not enough to just move on...no...they're also going to play the part of the lovesick victim that got cheated on and hate the Leafs forever. Making sure that they take shots at ever opportunity because their fragile little hearts never really ever mended over the tragedy of their loss. When the Leafs do well and begin to have success, well, this just fires up the resentment even more. There's nothing like living good to get back at your enemies! And when Toronto finally gets their act together and pulls off the big win, a bunch of people from this group will have sheepishly already slid back into the fold with the diehards and mumble a few excuses about how their other long lost team let them down and they've been a Leaf fan at heart FOREVER. Pathetic bunch really. I'm not sure what's worse, the behaviour after switching teams or being so insecure that you can only show support for a team that is winning.

2) The fans of teams that are doing well HATE the attention the Leafs get. They are the hands down, undisputed heavy-weight champions of the sportscaster world and when Carolina wins and nobody gives a fat rats ass, it ticks off the fans that want their moment in the sun. Too bad I say...you chose to cheer for a team that shows up in shorts and plays for the same amount of fans as the OHL teams get, live with it. The Leafs rule the hockey market and can do it from LAST place. Think about that!

3) Good old-fashioned rivalries! This is the ONLY good reason there is and if Montreal fans hate Toronto because of the long history behind the teams... GOOD! Because I know the day is coming we're going to get some long awaited revenge and beat their butts, quiet their stupid la la goodbye song, and win the cup! And most importantly, if I'm still alive, I'll still be a Leaf fan.

I think it's 3 reasons.

1) There's the resentment by the ex-fans, like Matt, who act like they got their heart broken because the Leafs owed them something and cheated them out of their Stanley Cup. And because Leafs didn't win them a Stanley Cup they're going to go adorn another team with their golden but fragile admiration. And it's not enough to just move on...no...they're also going to play the part of the lovesick victim that got cheated on and hate the Leafs forever. Making sure that they take shots at ever opportunity because their fragile little hearts never really ever mended over the tragedy of their loss. When the Leafs do well and begin to have success, well, this just fires up the resentment even more. There's nothing like living good to get back at your enemies! And when Toronto finally gets their act together and pulls off the big win, a bunch of people from this group will have sheepishly already slid back into the fold with the diehards and mumble a few excuses about how their other long lost team let them down and they've been a Leaf fan at heart FOREVER. Pathetic bunch really. I'm not sure what's worse, the behaviour after switching teams or being so insecure that you can only show support for a team that is winning.

2) The fans of teams that are doing well HATE the attention the Leafs get. They are the hands down, undisputed heavy-weight champions of the sportscaster world and when Carolina wins and nobody gives a fat rats ass, it ticks off the fans that want their moment in the sun. Too bad I say...you chose to cheer for a team that shows up in shorts and plays for the same amount of fans as the OHL teams get, live with it. The Leafs rule the hockey market and can do it from LAST place. Think about that!

3) Good old-fashioned rivalries! This is the ONLY good reason there is and if Montreal fans hate Toronto because of the long history behind the teams... GOOD! Because I know the day is coming we're going to get some long awaited revenge and beat their butts, quiet their stupid la la goodbye song, and win the cup! And most importantly, if I'm still alive, I'll still be a Leaf fan.

Couldnt agree more and this is EXACTLY why people hate the Leafs!

Very well put!!!

I was a life long leafs fan (for reference, I was alive the last time they won the cup) but became quite disgruntled a few years ago and had to turn my back on the mighty buds. I turned instead to the Detroit Red Wings since I really admired their head coach and the long tradition of making the playoffs. I was amazed that Babs came to Toronto (I thought he had more class than that at the time) and it really left me in a predicament. I've now mellowed and with him, Shanny, and Lou at the helm and the way things are going, I am back on board. My kids even bought me a pair of Babsocks for Christmas and I'm thinking of patenting the inevitable 'Babcrocs' before someone else does:

https://babsocks.ca/

I think it's 3 reasons.

A-friggin Men

If the leafs win a cup in my life time...I will literally cry. Been a die hard fan since I was 9 years old.

It may be bold, but you can hold me to it all you want...the next canadian team to win the cup will be the leafs.

And when they win, there will be people who will still attempt to come forward with negative rhetoric and we will simply laugh right back into their sad faces.

The last time the leafs won the cup was the year my folks brought me to Canada from England to live.

Didn't know what hockey was at the time being 5 but it wasn't long before I became a lifelong Leafs fan.

I didn't jump ship during the Ballard years which would have been easy to do as he was the biggest #$%^ in the hockey world.

But they are the Leafs, my Leafs!!!

I still cheer for other teams (as long as they aren't playing my Toronto Maple Leafs) ;)

This week Lou and Shanny confirmed what I already knew, that the Buds are ahead of schedule!!!! :wub:

I still don't expect to see them in the playoffs this year although it could happen.

I now however do expect to see them in the playoffs next year.

And I think they will still be ahead of schedule if they do get in next year.

These are exciting times to be a Leafs fan!!! :D

Im lifelong.

Been a gan since I was introduced to hockey by my dad and grandpa.

Longstanding tradition to watch the sat. Night games with gramps.

There are other teams I enjoy, always liked chicago and detroit.

But not in the same manner as the leafs

When we had our first ultrasound and found out our first born was going to be a boy, I had a leafs jersey and a raptors jersey ready for him the same day!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

I was a life long leafs fan (for reference, I was alive the last time they won the cup) but became quite disgruntled a few years ago and had to turn my back on the mighty buds. I turned instead to the Detroit Red Wings since I really admired their head coach and the long tradition of making the playoffs. I was amazed that Babs came to Toronto (I thought he had more class than that at the time) and it really left me in a predicament. I've now mellowed and with him, Shanny, and Lou at the helm and the way things are going, I am back on board. My kids even bought me a pair of Babsocks for Christmas and I'm thinking of patenting the inevitable 'Babcrocs' before someone else does:

https://babsocks.ca/

Friends and acquaintances often ask why I'm a Leaf fan. Why I stuck with them through all those years. (Was tragic that I graduated high school, graduated college, turned 30 and the leafs still hadn't made the playoffs) and its been tough. But when the Leafs win the cup, there will be no place like downtown Toronto. The party will go on for days. Maybe even weeks.

Just ask the diehard Chicago Cubs fans, or Boston Redsocks fans.

There was a day when the original six farm teams were organized so that I recall Hamilton being a Redwing town, St Catharines was a Blackhawk town and Niagara Falls was a Bruins town.

Check out the NHL alumni of the St.Catharines TeePees of the 50's, just about everyone of the 50/60's Chicago Blackhawks came through that club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Catharines_Teepees