Mechanic on Trent.......

Tjames09

So I dropped my little outboard off at the mechanics on trent last Sunday the 31st(10 days ago now). They said they should have the parts by last Thursday the 4th, and will call me to let me know the cost of repair.

I called them Friday the 5th, no answer, left a voicemail. No returned phone call. I called again Monday the 8th, again no answer. I called again Tuesday and spoke to the Marina and left a message with the Marina (again no returned phone call). I called again today and finally spoke with someone, and the gentleman on the phone said they havent even looked at it yet and didnt even know if the parts had come in or not, and had zero timeline for completion.

Should I be a little disappointed at this level of service? They say they will call on Thursday 4th and never do call, and don't return two of my phone calls. And a week later they haven't even looked at. I told the guy when I dropped it off I wasn't in a mad rush, but I didn't mean take the rest of August to finish it.

Go get your motor. Ask on this board, may e some of the folks here know the issue and could steer you in the right direction.

I've come to learn, these motors arent rocket science. And unless something major, or requiring special tools, my motors won't see a marine mechanic.

Well you know what's wrong it's not hard

for the price you pay for the mech buy a basic rachet set take the starter off take it to a starter shop and get them to rebuild it or just take it off ask them to match the spring and do it yourself you plan it right done in a day just saying it's not rocket science you may lose a little DNA though

Cheers

Peter

I am really sorry to hear that they aren't taking care of you in a much better fashion. They are both super guys and excellent mechanics and because of that they are swamped. I'm afraid that with all the big jobs they have to take care of the small ones tend to get left until they can fit them in.

If you get it back and are willing to wait, I will help you fix it over the winter so that next spring it's good to go. I wish I could just do it for you right now but I really kind of have my plate full right now with the moving thing to take care of.

Go get your engine back. No business is too busy to call a customer back at the end of the day. I have stayed for 3 hours calling customers at the end of the day to keep them in the loop. It's the price you pay for being in business. I really couldn't ask my receptionist to pass on much info as the customer always had questions. But as she became experienced she knew as much or more than I did about the status of a project. Off topic but I learned that that one receptionist 10 yrs ago took a carpentry apprenticeship and is now framing and learning the crew leaders job. A customer would rather be called on a weekend then left hanging. And even a call from our receptionist with some info is better than none. We were in construction and the usual delays were permits and waiting for minor variances.

Go get you engine and if you wish to take a ride to Dunnville the guys I know can get it done for you but like everyone has said they are swamped too and may not get to it until Sept. Bur for sure go get your engine, asap.

Forget all these phone calls, go down there and see them in person. If you don't like what they have to say, take your motor home with you. You never know once they see how serious you are, about wanting the motor back; they might put it on a higher priority?

You did tell them you were not in a "mad rush" and they may have took you by your word.

I know when a customer drops of their car and tells me that, I do take them at their word and go on to another vehicle where I can make a few bucks; before doing their car.

Its business; make hay while the sun shines.

Dan.

If you get it back and are willing to wait, I will help you fix it over the winter so that next spring it's good to go. I wish I could just do it for you right now but I really kind of have my plate full right now with the moving thing to take care of.

Thanks Cliff, I know your busy with the move.

Dan its hard for me to see them in person, I live in York Region and its about 110km away. Lindsay is our cottage. They have called me since and let me know the cost of replacing the spring, which was $200 to change the spring and than from there they'd have to see what else is wrong.

im on the fence of fixing the motor or trying to buy a new one. I can see Im looking at $500~ +/- to fix it at a marina (ugh), and a newer motor is going to be $1500 and up. A new 6HP can be found for $1500~.

Get the motor. It's not worth paying that much for a repair on such a small engine. Take Cliff up on his offer, the parts will be nowhere near what a shop will charge. I would say under $100 for parts if there is a running issue, then something for Cliff. That's a guess without seeing the motor, but there isn't too much to them. You will just have to make some more friends to take you out fishing for the rest of the year.

Get the motor. It's not worth paying that much for a repair on such a small engine. Take Cliff up on his offer, the parts will be nowhere near what a shop will charge. I would say under $100 for parts if there is a running issue, then something for Cliff. That's a guess without seeing the motor, but there isn't too much to them. You will just have to make some more friends to take you out fishing for the rest of the year.

Jimmer is probably right, depending on what the problem is with the recoil spring all it may need is trimming and re bending the end. No part cost, just some labor however if I was doing this as a shop, I would replace the spring because if my "fix" lets go in a couple of months you'd be calling me every name in the book. That said, once we see what it needs then we can decide what the best way to proceed is.

The carb probably needs a new kit put in it, I don't have the exact prices but typically I can pick one up (my cost) for about $30.00.

I'm 70, I don't slug motors and things anymore but I am always happy to help someone else learn if they are willing to do the bull work. Anyway it's an open offer and you know how to get hold of me, good luck which ever way you go.

Oh, and all I ever expect is a "thank you" (but I've been known to accept a cold beer or other beverage on occasion LOL)

Edited by Big Cliff

Jimmer is probably right, depending on what the problem is with the recoil spring all it may need is trimming and re bending the end. No part cost, just some labor however if I was doing this as a shop, I would replace the spring because if my "fix" lets go in a couple of months you'd be calling me every name in the book. That said, once we see what it needs then we can decide what the best way to proceed is.

The carb probably needs a new kit put in it, I don't have the exact prices but typically I can pick one up (my cost) for about $30.00.

I'm 70, I don't slug motors and things anymore but I am always happy to help someone else learn if they are willing to do the bull work. Anyway it's an open offer and you know how to get hold of me, good luck which ever way you go.

Oh, and all I ever expect is a "thank you" (but I've been known to accept a cold beer or other beverage on occasion LOL)

Ya Ive taken the motor home. Its in the garage now, small motor repair is foreign to me, but I'm willing to try and fix it so its not lost.