Topwater Line

AdamS

Just curious, what are you guys using for line for your topwater rods? I've been using straight braid for a while now but was debating going to mono this year. I know some guys love using just mono and some do the leader so wanted to know what others are using.

I run braid with heavy mono leaders (Usually 30lb or so)... I fish a lot of topwater during the season (pike, bass, etc). Not a huge fan of mono as a mainline for that type of fishing. I realize why some guys like it, but it's not for me.

Edited by BillM

I use to use braid but tended to lose a lot of fish on the hook set and when they cleared the water

during the fight . Straight mono for me now with no problems . The mono gives you some stretch

during those lure throwing leaps and the initial hook set . With braid if your (trigger happy) you will pull

the lure away a lot of the times . If I'm in the slop well that's a bit different like others have said and it's

braid for me. No experience with flouro on top water but I do know that it sinks a lot faster then the

other lines and on most top water baits that could hinder the action a little bit .

Mentioned this before.

I think the stretch mono gives is useful when targeting smallies.

When they are airborne, that head shake towards you will create slack with no-stretch lines.

Lost a lot of jumpers that way.

I don't know about that. I think loosing Smallies has more to do with the size of hole the hook makes but of course it shouldn't come out if tight, I'll give you that. If a fish jumps towards you slack is slack no matter what type of line.

I'm going to start calling you " The Bass whisperer".

No please dont lol

The bass here are so plentiful you can literally do no wrong

If I took any of you doods from southern ontario out here bass fishing you would laugh at how easy it is

Unless its winter. Ive literally caught one bass through the ice lol

Edited by manitoubass2

No please dont lol

The bass here are so plentiful you can literally do no wrong

If I took any of you doods from southern ontario out here bass fishing you would laugh at how easy it is

Unless its winter. Ive literally caught one bass through the ice lol

You forget I told you we can watch the bass spawn on their beds here from my deck? There can be no less than a dozen beds within sight, imagine how many along a shore line from Fort Erie to Windsor? Around 400KM.

You forget I told you we can watch the bass spawn on their beds here from my deck? There can be no less than a dozen beds within sight, imagine how many along a shore line from Fort Erie to Windsor? Around 400KM.

Yeah thats crazy to even think about.

We all give braid to much credit. It's garbage just like mono,co polymer spider wire, flouro all garbage.

Here's my proof.

Google ice fishing perch lake Simcoe. With a little work you will find some idiot blathering away about how great braid is and a perch is just mowing down on his jig. Stupid will be telling how great braid and he never misses hookset bla bla bla. If it's that good why did that perch get away.

Braid is just braid if you are a bad angler you still will be a bad angler after you spend $20.

If you find one of these vids and watch it, should be obvious when a perch is laying beating on that perch jig for thirty seconds how nothing we have is as good as the fish. And even better they all have a mock 783 4 barrel fish finder that just made them great.

Mmmmmm you look great another minute or 2 and that perch should chew the line in half.

Bill Put me on Braid to a raven xxxs swivel, to a heavy mono leader to a snap...been using it every since and loving it.

I use it for morning and evening smallmouth and pike fishing all the time.

Edited by AKRISONER