Things Are Bad!!!!!

My brother had a stressful time getting out, as he said they were on the road but didn't move for 1 1/2 hours due to the traffic. Eventually, he made it out to the gun club, and spent the night there.

Any excuse to go to the range... :)

I dearly hope he has a home to return to.

This fire has been burning outside of town for some time from what I have been reading. With the wind and heat it flared up and turned in a hurry. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if this occurred in a community with a lot of seniors and people that didn't own cars....

My cousins house is a total loss but they are safe. I have a bunch of other family there who are all safe, but their homes could be gone by the morning. Its a bad situation.

The hardest thing for me to understand is my cousin is a trained military firefighter and they wont allow him in to help fight fire. Very frustrating situation he is in. He may not have a house in the morning because of it. Unreal.

I pray for all involved. Its a horrible situation to be in.

S.

This fire has been burning outside of town for some time from what I have been reading. With the wind and heat it flared up and turned in a hurry. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if this occurred in a community with a lot of seniors and people that didn't own cars....

The fires started on Sunday.

The fire reached the airport over night.

They have lost some of the out buildings and part of the airport fire hall.

The terminal is still OK. :(

Supposedly there is another neighbourhood that is in danger of burning up as well.

Dave that is one of the downfalls of Yellowknife, as we have saw many had run out of gas thankfully out of imeadiate harms way, but the had at least areas of 2 lane traffic in many areas plus shoulders to pull onto.

People would run out of gas leaving our town as well except we have no shoulders on most of our one lane north one lane south highway, the hundreds of vehicles that would run out of fuel would making getting south out of town impossible, hopefully our leaders will start thinking seriously about what needs to be done up here and learn from those down south

Thoughts and prayers still going out to those down south

Dave that is one of the downfalls of Yellowknife, as we have saw many had run out of gas thankfully out of imeadiate harms way, but the had at least areas of 2 lane traffic in many areas plus shoulders to pull onto.

People would run out of gas leaving our town as well except we have no shoulders on most of our one lane north one lane south highway, the hundreds of vehicles that would run out of fuel would making getting south out of town impossible, hopefully our leaders will start thinking seriously about what needs to be done up here and learn from those down south

Thoughts and prayers still going out to those down south

We don't have nearly the problem here as there are a lot less trees and they are smaller.

Lots of rock too. Out side of town is another story as it's much more forested.

We would fare a lot better than places like Fort Smith where I used to live on the South side of the lake.

They have many large trees and right up to and in town. It would never survive. No hope.

Plus they would have to drive hundreds of KMS on the forest choked dirt road just to reach Hay River.

There is no other route out of town.

At least we could run North if needed.

I have a high school friend living in the Fort McMurry area who was evacuated with her husband, kids and extended family too.

Thankfully, through social media, she's informed everyone her family is all together and safe. Not sure what they'll come home to, if anything.

My son & family were able to get to Edmonton,last night he got a text from a friend who is still in town,attached was a picture of his pick-up which is parked in my son's driveway,the street was full of firetrucks.

6 houses were lost on his street,but his house is still there as of this morning.

He has a security camera set up in his kitchen,it's still working.

I gotta tell ya,I worried sick,not only for my family but all affected by this catastrophe.

Terrible what has occurred! The reports on CBC news are horrific! I have some former coworkers there who have been evacuated. From what I know all my acquaintenances are safe. Their condos I'm not sure. My 1 friend has had off & on cell service. Some cell towers have been damaged. God bless the residents of Fort Mac.

you know what is really sad, we Insure a number of oil and gas companies.....

they, so far, aren't seeing any loss to assets (outside of worker camps) because they have the $$$$$ to fund private fire brigades to protect their assets.

so while the homes are burning, and the government can't employ enough fire fighters to keep the fire under control, the oil and gas companies aren't having any issues (so far) keeping their billion dollar assets safe.

money certainly talks.

I am glad they can protect themselves Terry, I'm sure the government and community is also. Imagine if the fire threatened an oil and gas facility of that magnitude. The whole area might then become a crater visible from outer space. What if all the resources had to be focused on a plant ablaze rather than the community? They are stretched to the max now. We had an inhouse Fire Dept. that would be the envy of many towns in Canada. Some of the gases produced at the Coke Ovens were used during WW1, Mustard gas being one of them. An uncontrolled release and the right wind conditions could result in the evacuation of parts of the city. We had procedures in place for many scenarios that could possibly be devastating for the community.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

H2S would be killing mass amounts of people if we didnt properly trained to protect well sites

That is a dangerous gas, 20 to 40 seconds of a clear,odourless gas and you are dead.

Im very glad Im no longer working in the field as a safety consultant

Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) for those not familiar with that chemical.

So you agree with me Rick? I think you do. Many civilians don't realize how much is spent on contingency plans and operating procedures that go far beyond the plant gates to not only ensure the Health and Safety of workers within a facility but as well as the environment which includes the citizens of a community.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) for those not familiar with that chemical.

So you agree with me Rick? I think you do. Many civilians don't realize how much is spent on contingency plans and operating procedures that go far beyond the plant gates to ensure the Health and Safety of workers but as well as the environment which includes the citizens of a community.

I know it as fact. I was a part if that at one point.

Totally agree

I fired many, many people on the spot just for not wearing a personal H2S monitor(its a requirement)

Plus we have rig rats etc set up everywhere.

Any sign of H2S and its full bore safety mode

Anyone not familiar with a rig rat, its a sensitive devise to detect H2S, when it does it sound an alarm that is likely louder than anything youve heard on earth

Edited by manitoubass2