Ran into a good CO yesterday

Out shore fishing yesterday for a feed of perch. My fishing partner had forgotten his wallet at home...who among us hasn't done that at least once.... so of course just after noon a CO appears and starts checking everyone. My partner quit fishing and walked to the CO before he got to us and explained the situation. He just got on his phone and called in to verify me friend had a card and that was it. I was happy for my friend because I'm sure the CO didn't have to take the time to call it in. I'm thinking he could have just said sorry no license here's your ticket.

Just thought I'd share this on here in case someone else runs into a similair situation.

Treat the man with respect and maybe he will do the same for you.

I've been in the same situation, out in the middle of the lake, wallet still in the truck. Haven't been charged yet, like you said a little bit of respect goes a long way. Now, some of the OPP guys I've encountered seem to be hunting for anything in order to give you a ticket. I even had one a few years ago tell me that lake trout was closed in Parry Sound starting Sept 1st. He wasn't too impressed when I embarrassed him in front of his rookie partner when I told him lakers are open, but there's a 0 possession limit until the season closes on the 30th (I pulled the regs right up on my cell, lol!)

I don't get that one Bill.

We have that here in some walleye waters.

Season is open but possession limit is zero.

If the limit is 4 and you have 4 you have to stop fishing.

If the limit is zero how can you fish

sorry for the hijack crappie hunter but good for you to run into a fair CO

Dara, if there's a zero possession limit in place (Which there is from Sept 1st-30th), the fish needs to be released. If the season was closed, you couldn't fish for them at all.

If you've got your 4 fish that you're taking home, any subsequent fish need to be released. You do not have to stop fishing.

Edited by BillM

I've also had a CO give me a break for not having my licence with me. He called it in and found that I had a licence and told me to enjoy the rest of the day. I don't know how many times they would allow this to happen, but I haven't been asked again. My licence is always with me just in case.

Thanks, I thought you had to stop once you get a limit.

As far as carrying a license I would think that with all the electronics and communication we have that ID should be good enough and they can punch in their laptop for whatever information they need.

I know when I go to Lee Valley tools they can tell me everything I ever bought there.

Its at the COs disgression.

I had the same thing billm said happen to me twice, no fine.

Now if you pull out your wallet and say you forgot your license, pretty sure you're getting fined

Dara, my friend, glad its been cleared up for you!

Imagine travelling a few hundred kms,catch 4 keepers in 10 minutes and pack up and drive home ???

PROOF of anything these days is ridiculous. With today's technology any CO, OPP, Officer etc can "look up" any info they need. Because I may have forgotten a little piece of paper or card at home, in the truck etc..is just crazy IMO. PROOF is simply for revenue.

PROOF of anything these days is ridiculous. With today's technology any CO, OPP, Officer etc can "look up" any info they need. Because I may have forgotten a little piece of paper or card at home, in the truck etc..is just crazy IMO. PROOF is simply for revenue.

It's really not the CO's responsibility to look up your info. He's doing your a favour in doing so, opposed to giving you a ticket. And what happens if you're way out in the boonies with no data signal?

It's really not the CO's responsibility to look up your info. He's doing your a favour in doing so, opposed to giving you a ticket. And what happens if you're way out in the boonies with no data signal?

You think maybe if you give him/her a big tip that would help?

Nope. You are totally wrong my friend.

Jail on what charges?

Its not illegal to not have your id in your possession.

This isnt nazi germany lol

Nope, its Lieberal Ontario

I had it spelt Liberal but it just doesn't look right without that E

where's them emotes when you need them :sarcasm::dunno:

CPH, you are so right, treat them with respect you almost always get respect back, glad it worked out for your partner.

Beans, one look at us old farts the last thing they want to do is take us to jail, we wouldn't want to leave; three square meals a day, internet, TV no chores to do, rides to and from medical appointments........... Hey buddy, want to help me rob a bank (we don't actually do it, just say we're going to; never have to worry about paying bills again)

:whistling:

CPH, you are so right, treat them with respect you almost always get respect back, glad it worked out for your partner.

Beans, one look at us old farts the last thing they want to do is take us to jail, we wouldn't want to leave; three square meals a day, internet, TV no chores to do, rides to and from medical appointments........... Hey buddy, want to help me rob a bank (we don't actually do it, just say we're going to; never have to worry about paying bills again)

:whistling:

And your best friend is named BUBBA.LOL

Sounds like the changing of the gaurd is happening. Had a nice yong fella visit yesterday. No hassels.